Cheapest Legal Way to Buy Spotify Family

Posted 19th Feb 2023
Hi,

I am currently on a 3 month Spotify Premium trial and would like Spotify Family so my wife, kids and Alexa get the benefits. Is there a way to get it cheaper that doesn't involve fraudulently claiming I live in another country?

I have looked at gift cards but they say they are for Premium use only.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

21 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    No, unless you fraudulently join another households plan.
    Do the moral thing and pay full price.
    Author
    That looks like the only option. I like doing the moral thing and getting 20% off best though.
    Pay full price. There is no other option
    So don't get Spotify, get Tidal using an Argentinian location. I currently pay 63p per month. No address was needed. I did not claim residence, all of which satisfies the false morality you are choosing to follow.
    Is your wife ok with Alexa getting some benefits of her own?
    Author
    Oh yes, she's good that way
    Author
    Yes, it sounds like I just need to pay £16.99 a month then. I'm not interested in doing anything illegal regardless of the chances of being found out. I am interested in being cost efficient but the UK doesn't seem to have Annual Family plans, family prepaid cards, or any other cost incentives. Thanks. No thrills from getting a bargain here then.
    I might be reading this wrong but isn’t a Spotify Family account just 6 Premium accounts combined so using gift cards to pay for it should work but I would check with Spotify support before purchasing.

Are your kids old enough to get student accounts? Could you make do with 2 student accounts, it’s a fiver saving a month.
    It is legal, laws are made by Governments not private companies.
    Author
    Those laws cover fraud and contracts though. Even if we lived in a world where they didn't I am not prepared to be dishonest.

What are you saying is legal? Gaining a discount by fraudulent means?
    If you want the cheapest and most legal way next time you're abroad sign up to Spotify there and sign the "contract" there. That's 100% legal as you don't have to live there permanently to sign up and to sign any contract nowhere does it say you need to be resident of the country to sign up
    Author
    Ignoring the fact that obtaining a deal or service with false information, or even seeking to, would be fraud in itself the contract does not allow this behaviour.

What you advise is a breach of the contractual terms as the eligibility requirements in the Ts and C's are clear :

"
    You also promise that any registration information that you submit to Spotify is true, accurate, and complete, and you agree to keep it that way at all times"

It is your home address and you need to enter and they state that they will verify it on an ongoing basis and you must remain eligible.

"2. Eligibility and Verification

A. In order to be eligible for the Premium Family Subscription, the primary account holder and the subsidiary account holders must be family members residing at the same address.

B. Upon activation of a subsidiary Premium Family account (excluding Spotify Kids account(s)), you will be asked to verify your home address.
    '
    Before retiring I used to write customer Ts and Cs and was involved in an enforcement case, that we won for fraud, so have some insight into this area and I don't see a judge being very sympathetic to someone claiming these terms are not sufficiently defined.
    Author
    You need to raise there and have it as m your home. You should struggle to find a lawyer that gives you good odds on arguing either point no matter proving both.

You also need to keep the information accurate at all times.

"reside

verb 1. have one's permanent home in a particular place"

"reside in a country where the Service is available. You also promise that any registration information that you submit to Spotify is true, accurate, and complete, and you agree to keep it that way at all times I
's avatar