HP Instant Ink / Toner

Posted 25th Jul 2023
I'm thinking about buying the HP LaserJet M110we Laser Printer and it provides 6 months of instant ink. However, I'm not a frequent user and the cheapest instant toner plan is £1.99 a month. Can I just elect not to sign up to instant ink and use the toner that comes with the printer and then buy the hp 142a toner replacement cartridges whenever I need them (likely ever 5-6 years based on my usage!). Or am I mandated to sign up to the instant toner plan?
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    when I cancelled my instant ink, my printer ceased to work
    When the Instant Ink subscription is cancelled, so is/are the Instant Ink cart(s) / toner(s).
    Seems reasonable.
    Buy your own cart(s) / toner(s) and Instant Ink cart(s) / toner(s) are of no relevance.
    Seems equally reasonable.
    No contractual obligation to commit to HP II.

Casual info:
    note the capacity of the toner supplied with the M110we is reduced-capacity / starter version rated at a yield of 300 (three hundred) pages.
    Replacement "full" genuine HP 142a has 950 page yield.
    Aftermarket / blag toner may typically yield twice the manu amount, but may (likely will) require messing with chips or other circumvention / bypass measures.
    My understanding is that as long as you don't sign up for the instant ink it doesn't lock down the printer - saying that though HP printers are locked down anyway. As long as you are prepared to use genuine toner you shouldn't have an issue.
    If you want to use after market toners I would go for a different brand as they are easier to circumvent...
    Author
    Thanks Yeah, understood on being locked in to their toners. But in theory the toner cartridge that comes with the printer should last me years as I rarely print. So it's just for emergencies, which does happen every month or so. The replacement toner is about £40 and is apparently good for 2000 pages.
's avatar