Sensory / Autism Friendly Cinema Screenings - Where, when and what's showing this month?

Posted 7th Aug 2023
For those with sensory difficulties and autism, the cinema experience can be a difficult environment to be in. Thankfully, these days, there are plenty of cinemas that have made adjustments, to make things more comfortable at the movies!

This isn't something brand new, in fact it's been happening for quite a number years! If you're not already aware, dimensions is a not-for-profit organisation, that supports those with disabilities and additional needs. So it's thanks to their work, that the below list is here. Huge credit to dimensions!

If you didn't know about this already, or perhaps weren't sure how it all worked... then here's some more information that might help you out.

What should you expect?
Cinemas will have their own list of adjustments, although most of them are identical. Staff are also trained in autism understanding!

By cutting out trailers, lowering the lights, turning down the volume and allowances to bring your own food and drink, the big screen movie magic can be enjoyed by more people. Additionally, if you're a CEA Card holder you can get free entry, when accompanying someone with a disability. For details on that - See here

What's on?
dimensions update the list found here quite regularly, although you may want to check out the cinemas web site directly, as this will likely be updated first. Movies change pretty much monthly, with a mix of new and older movies. For example: showcase had screenings of Elemental, How to train your dragon and the Barbie Movie, last month.

4174124_1.jpg
Cineworld’s autism-friendly adjustments include:
How can I book Cineworld autism-friendly cinema tickets?
Tickets are available to book around 5 days in advance. There are a number of ways you can book tickets for Cineworld’s autism-friendly screenings. Select the film listed as an autism-friendly screening and follow the booking process:

• On the Cineworld website
  • Via the Cineworld Box Office on 0871 200 2000 (calls cost 12p per minute from a BT landline. Mobile and other providers may vary)
  • At your local cinema.

4174124_1.jpg
Some autism friendly adjustments include:

How do I book tickets?
Tickets are available to book around 5 days in advance. You can book tickets on ODEON’s website or at your local cinema.

The film’s name will be listed with “Autism friendly screening” before it so you know you’re booking the right one.

If you have a CEA Card and you’re booking online, you will need an online profile and to add it to the ‘Accessibility’ section of your details in ‘My ODEON’.

4174124_1.jpg

How do I book tickets?
Tickets are available to book around 5 days in advance. There are a number of ways you can book tickets for Showcase’s autism friendly screenings. Select the film listed as an autism friendly screening and follow the booking process:

• On the Showcase website
  • Via the Showcase Box Office on 0871 220 1000 (calls cost 13p per minute, plus your phone company’s access charge)
  • At your local cinema.

4174124_1.jpg
Some Vue autism-friendly adjustments include:
How can I book Vue autism friendly cinema tickets?
Tickets are available to book around 5 days in advance. There are a number of ways you can book tickets for Vue’s autism-friendly screenings.

Select the film listed as an autism-friendly screening and follow the booking process:

On the Vue websiteVia the Vue Box Office on 0345 308 4620 (local rate number)At your local cinema.

4174124_1.jpg
  • There are no trailers
  • The lights and volume are turned down
  • You can sit where you want and move around
  • You can take your own food and drink
  • Staff are trained in autism understanding
  • Carers can get free entry with a valid CEA Card at our partner cinemas.

How do I book tickets?

Tickets are available to book around 5 days in advance. There are a number of ways you can book tickets for Light cinema’s autism friendly screenings:

4174124_1.jpg
  • There are no trailers
  • Carers can get free entry with a valid CEA Card or Carers Card at Picturehouse cinemas

How do I book tickets?
Tickets are available to book around 5 days in advance. There are a number of ways you can book tickets for Picturehouse’s autism friendly screenings. Select the film listed as an autism friendly screening and follow the booking process:

• On the Picturehouse website (select your cinema and the film marked as ‘autism friendly’ on the schedule. Please note a £1.50 booking fee applies for online bookings.)
  • Via the dedicated accessibility hotline 0207 294 7908 (standard call rates apply)
  • At your local cinema.

Free entry for carers
  • Carers can get free entry when booking in person at the box office with a valid CEA Card at Picturehouse cinemas
  • Carers can get free entry when booking in person at the box office, over the phone or online with a valid Carers Card.

4174124_1.jpg
  • There are no trailers

How do I book tickets?
Tickets are available to book around 5 days in advance. There are a number of ways you can book tickets for Light cinema’s autism friendly screenings:

4174124_1.jpg
  • There are no trailers

How do I book tickets?
Tickets are available to book around 5 days in advance. There are a number of ways you can book tickets for Everyman’s autism friendly screenings:

Community Updates
New Comment

70 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I'm autistic and noise sensitive to the point someone eating popcorn/crunchy food makes me cry, but none of these cater to that despite noise sensitivities being common in autistic people. I've not been to the cinema for 13 years because of this
    If your annoyed by other people's noises then invest in a home cinema. It's the only way to avoid distractions. Another idea is book in to the smaller screens which are less popular and do it last minute so you can sit away from people.

My son is austic but everyone has different sensory issues.

Sony 1000xm4 are good at cutting out background noise but will still allow you to hear the talking in the room

Odeon do offer headsets, you just have to ask. They use Infrared to send the sound to the headset (edited)
    Fantastic post, I'm on the autistic spectrum and sometimes have sensory issues, I work in retail and the number of young kids I see coming into my place of work wearing ear defenders is staggering. I've recently written my first children's book about sensory overload and currently going through Amazon self publishing. Once it's available to purchase I'll update with a link. The more people and businesses that understand and can cater for Sensory issues the better I say. Even an hour or so a day a supermarket could dim the lights a little and turn off the beeping from the scanners on the main tills to help those that struggle with sensory issues. (edited)
    Just having the option to turn off the beeping on the tills would be great, and not having them keep saying PLEASE PUT THE ITEM INTO THE BAG or SCAN YOUR NEXT ITEM just because I'm taking slightly longer than it 'wants'. Noise cancelling headphones of course help; the 3M ear defenders my friend has are great. (edited)
    Thank you for this, I had no idea, I think I'll chance taking my daughter to see a film!
    Get the CEA card, it’s only £6 and all they need is a photo of the front page of her DLA letter and lasts 12 months. Means that on the odd occasion the cinema is too busy or your child just can’t be bothered sitting through the whole movie, you don’t feel as ripped off leaving early 
    As someone with autism everyone is different me and some other autistic people I know have the issue of darkness/quiet gives us panic as it represents danger and can be startled easy, a common thing with this means me and again the others I know only put one headphone on as if both are on we cannot hear our surroundings and our brain gets confused, me I can physically see busy traffic and my brain says "don't cross" but doesn't listen and walks into the busy traffic, its literally like being asleep, its why when I go to bed I need blackout blinds as leaking light though I can sleep through it can make my brain active, but to keep me awake I need bright lights in fact up till about 3 years ago I was still using old style bulbs often 60w + as energy saving ones just made me sleepy, modern LED's aren't that bad.

Again I hear people with similar experiences but we get just the one size fits all of low lights, low noise etc.

Actual everyday noise is good for me as it indicates activity and makes me focus, its sharp noises like a dog barking, or a motorbike that make me jump and restless as you cannot predict how long they will last.
    Also, my daughter is obviously self conscious about wearing big headphones at school, so we found these and the work really well, and are much less intrusive!
    flareaudio.com/col…mer

The school has been brilliant I have to say, they have a quiet room, shes allowed in go in early and go there and then go to classes after the morning rush, and she has a locker away from all the noise, lus she only has to ask and she can go to the quiet room when things get rowdy
    Thanks, I was looking at these a week ago on Facebook for my 11 year old. He’s fine with volumes but it’s the sudden cries or screams that distresses him.

update: he doesn’t like them in his ears and I think they pop out. It was worth a try though. Thanks. (edited)
    We've never found the Sensory screenings any good. The ambient noise level in the cinema is really high mainly due to kids not sitting still, random outbursts etc.
    We prefer normal screenings and take ear defenders because the actual room is quieter.
    3 autistic kids 3, 6 and 8.
    To be fair I get away with it by only pre-booking seats when the cinema is near empty & I can get seats away from other people & next to an exit.

But I guess my needs are different to others (edited)
    Back when I went to the movies, I always did exact same thing.

I get very annoyed by people eating popcorn, fiddling on their phones, laughing to the set-up of a joke, ... I'm just easy to annoy
    great effort OP..also here in Ireland, some shops have started doing an autism friendly hour, turning off the music, turning down the lights etc...Pennys, and Tesco here do it now
    primark.com/en-…dly
    Autism Friendly Shopping ExperienceEvery Sunday, for the first hour after we open, we offer customers sensory friendly shopping across our stores.

We invite customers to join a more inclusive shopping experience, with the security of knowing that additional assistance is available if needed.

In early 2021, we teamed up with AsIAm, Ireland’s National Autism Charity, to learn how to make our stores a more welcoming place to shop. As a result, during the sensory friendly shopping hour there will be:

• Reduced noise
    • Reduced till sounds
    • No in-store announcement
    • Additional assistance available
    • As always, assistance dogs welcome
    As well as training our teams to become more autism aware, we have some great tools to help customers better prepare for their trip to our store. You can navigate a typical Penneys store using our Sensory Map – that highlights areas of high sensory input, and explore a step-by-step guide of the store experience using a visual guide.

Additional HelpYou may find this list helpful to show to a member of the Penneys team to ask for help:

I am Autistic and I need assistance. I may be experiencing sensory overload or feeling overwhelmed. Please be patient and understanding in assisting me with the help that I need.

• I need help at the till with purchasing my items.
    • I need help with exiting the store.
    • I have been separated from a carer or companion.
    • I need to go to a quieter area
    Get musicians ear plugs and it takes down the loudest noises and makes cinema more comfortable but you can still hear all frequencies . I use them to stop my tinnitus getting worse. (edited)
    They could split the room in half, one side is allowed food the other is chewing averse.
    Or have Soft food only, packets must be opened before entering 😄
    Where there’s a will there’s a way, quite ableist to suggest one should have to stay at home
    They aren't going to do that, it's not realistic
    It is interesting where 30 years ago you'd regularly encounter children with down syndrome and almost none with autism, now it seems the other way round. Must be more difficult when the disability isn't as obvious to the eye. I wish all screenings didn't have trailers, to be honest.
    I always ask how long the trailers are so I can go in as late as possible
    Thanks. Usually find these posts on my Facebook. So the reason why I take my boy to autism friendly viewings is so that no one minds when he reacts to the movie. He can be loud and active but he does enjoy it. We took him to a normal viewing of Sonic 2 and when the song “Hot stepper” came on he got up and started dancing and he just couldn’t contain it!
    Problem with these is they cater to children with what I woudl consider sensory autism, the spectrum is vast, some people have autism thats basically a social anxiety and adversion to noise and light etc.. then you have autism at the other end that is non verbal, severe behavioral issues, massive social interaction problems, delay developemnt and learnign difficulties and I think it very unfair to put all autism under one cloud. as its dilutes everything, and ignorance is massive..

My son is 15 I usually point out Harvey Price as to guide people to his level of Autism, he cant handles children screaming or crying to the point he wants to basically attack them.. we found Sony noise cancelling ear phones a life saver but he wants to go watch movies approriate to his age like the new Five Nights at Freddys movie but most of these screenings are for child films... (edited)
    Take a look into the autism society in your area to see if they organise screenings for other age categories of films. If they do run a private screening you'll never find it directly in the cinemas own website
    Great post Ken, thank you
    NGL

no trailers
    no overbearing sound
    lights turned down, (the cinema picture is hardly what we consider excellent)

I'm feeling like this is much better than the regular cinema experience of waiting 1 hour, watching awful trailers
    Excellent post, thank you for helping the community.
    Thankyou. Helpful poste.
    Thank you Ken, very comprehensive and helpful info'
    Great post , many thanks
    Brilliant post, thanks.
    Thank you!
    Just to point out, you can bring your own food and drink in the cinema regardless
    Great post using screening at The light today 
's avatar