Speeding ban

Posted 26th Jul 2023
Before I start I realise I’m in the wrong and will accept any punishment as I deserve it !!!

Last weekend I’m pretty sure a mobile speed camera can caught me doing just over 100mph on a 70mph A road.I had a lot on my mind due to my wife going for a breast screening the following morning.I’m not making excuses I’m just stating what could’ve caused my lack of concentration.
It’s obviously going to be a ban but I’m supposed to be taking the family on holiday with my car in about 3 weeks time.Would the ban come before this?
Community Updates
New Comment

23 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    How far over 100 mph was you going & was this indicated by the speedo or say a sat nav? If your going off your speedo then hopefully it'll in reality mean a true speed of under a 100mph as speedometers normally show slightly faster than actual speed but by law aren't allowed to show slower than your true speed.

Also normally the faster your indicated speed the more discrepancy there is in true speed.

30 speedometer could be 28
    40 speedometer could be 36-37 etc etc

So 🤞 if your speedo was showing saying 105mph you might of been doing an actual speed of 95mph which obviously wouldn't be a ban then, just points and a fine or speed awareness course.
    It would be way over the threshold for a SAC.

For the speed awareness course, the speed of the offence must fall within the criteria stated below:

• 30 mph up to and including 42 mph
    • 40 mph up to and including 53 mph
    • 50 mph up to and including 64 mph
    • 60 mph up to and including 75 mph
    • 70 mph up to and including 86 mph
    no.

You'll get a notice first to the registered keeper asking for the driver details. After you send that back then the nominated driver will get the actual prosecution stuff. At that speed it wont be speed awareness.

The nip (notice of intended prosecution) and S172 (requirement toname the driver) have to be sent to the registered keeper within 14 days and you get 28 days to return them
    Also, im not sure that 'i was distracted while driving at over 100mph' is the mitigation that you think it is. thats pretty much admitting driving without care/attention.
    Author
    Thank you everyone all the comments have been really helpful.I deserve what I get but I don’t want my stupidity to affect my family’s holiday that’s all.My wife btw is in a slightly better place as they think the problem is benign pending another scan. Thanks again

Also my actual speed I think was between 100-110 for those asking but can’t be 100% sure (edited)
    110 wow! A ban and large fine are imminent.

Your wife needs you by her side, not in prison or wrapped around a tree. Not to mention other road users you may have been sharing the road with.
    If you drag it out you'll probably just about have enough time for your holiday. Please make sure you drive with due care and attention though. Hope your wife gets the all clear as well.
    If you think you were doing just over 100 on the speedo it will likely be just under 100 on the calibrated camera.

Best of luck that you just get points or even better nothing and you passed the van whilst they were napping.

I hope you come back here to update.

Best of luck to your wife too.
    Author
    Just an update for those interested.I got a letter stating I was doing 91mph in a 70.I think I must’ve glanced at the KMH dial. Still not good
    3 points and fine then
    From what i have read over in the Pepipoo forums, if its required to be taken to the courts they (police) have 6 months to instigate it and they often do let it run right up to that. So you'll be able to carry on driving until you go to court and are maybe given a ban. The forums are a good place to ask as the users are very knowledgeable and your situation has occurred many many times on there.
    You'll have to do the paperwork and get a court date set, which could take weeks.
    Over 100mph is an automatic court appearance. Will result in a ban, and a fine, amount will be dependant on exactly how fast you were going, and also if the magistrate got up on the wrong side of the bed.
    Speeding fines come within 14 days of the offence. It's just the waiting game.

Hopefully give you a list of options you may have (edited)
    They have 14 days if you don’t get contact your can no longer be charged with the offence , mark the day and count them down , fingers crossed
's avatar