Virgin media speeds same on 500mb and 1gig connection

Posted 23rd Dec 2021
Got free upgrade but speeds still the same maybe abit the worse. Anyone else had this? What could be the bottleneck

Im using pihole --> asus ac68u router --> hub 4 in modem mode. All connected using Ethernet cable provided by previous broadband providers

Ps I'm still happy as i was getting 36mb before this so now its 15x times (though would have loved to get like 850mb+ with the upgrade)
Community Updates
New Comment

37 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    Strixx10/01/2022 19:01

@xPabloz how did you get the free upgrade from 500Mb to 1Gb?

i took out sim only contract with o2. If you have both virgin media and o2, they will double your o2 data and virgin broadband. While the o2 is under my name, a family member is paying for it as it was for them. Once the sim arrived i just contacted o2 via their chat on their app and virgin media to double my data. I think it automatically does it but i could wait so got it done asap. O2 data doubled by next day upon contacting them and virgin media gets updated once you get your hub 4 router (unless you already have it then its straight away afaik)

o2.co.uk/virgin-media-o2

Note: an added bonus is that you can have two seperate o2 priority accounts, one for vm and one for o2. Since my phone can run two instances of same app its alot easier (edited)
    I moved to Virgin 1Gig a few months ago but it did take a while for the new speed to take effect.

I think I had to put something on the Virgin forums before they took action (they have to make a change their end).

Here are the Virgin forums (you have to register first)

community.virginmedia.com/

Use Samknows Realspeed web site to test the speed coming down to your router

Web site here

samknows.com/rea…ed/

I just ran it and got 1137 mbps (edited)
    xPabloz23/12/2021 20:41

even if you're literally sitting next to it?

Unless you have devices with WiFi 6 no it's unlikely. Most devices will struggle to get past 500mbps on WiFi , you may have some luck with the very latest devices with the newest WiFi 5 chipsets if you use the 5ghz band or get a hub5 upgrade and get some WiFi 6 devices. (edited)
    Surely it'll depend what speed they're actually delivering to your home, how far you are from the exchange?

Them promising 'up to' 500MB/1GB means it's the theoretical maximum for your area, not your precise address. From the looks of things, you were already maxed out.

One thing you could try is the new Hub 5. Bit of teething issues at first but it's a lot faster for me now.
    I'm hoping for some new deals in the new year. Current one expires in the new year.
    xPabloz23/12/2021 20:12

Wifi speeds stayed the same (gone slightly worse actually) and i only …Wifi speeds stayed the same (gone slightly worse actually) and i only checked wired speeds because on their end it was showing as activated and on the hub max theoretical throughput had increased but was not reflected on speed tests. It doesnt even reach their guaranteed minimum.

You said an ethernet connection is showing 930mb to 1.2gb that means your upgrade is complete. The speed guarantee is to the router not WiFi devices .
    Unless you have a full WiFi 6 wlan network and devices with WiFi 6 you won't see speeds much over 500mbps ever.
    Author
    deleted273199023/12/2021 16:42

Surely it'll depend what speed they're actually delivering to your home, …Surely it'll depend what speed they're actually delivering to your home, how far you are from the exchange?Them promising 'up to' 500MB/1GB means it's the theoretical maximum for your area, not your precise address. From the looks of things, you were already maxed out.One thing you could try is the new Hub 5. Bit of teething issues at first but it's a lot faster for me now.

I (think) its fibre to home and we only got the infrastructure installed around may this year so its the latest tech.

Going into the hub 4 setting it says max downstream throughput of 1250mb and upstream of 55mb.

My upload speed is 52mb but download is around 400. With hub 3 is was slightly more

Ps how long did it take for the new hub 5 to settle down? (edited)
    I'm not too sure, but that could be a generic setting. I'm with Virgin, I can't remember which package but I get around 100mb, yet they say maximum download is roughly the same as yours.
    doggysoft23/12/2021 18:10

I'm hoping for some new deals in the new year. Current one expires in the …I'm hoping for some new deals in the new year. Current one expires in the new year.

me too, will be giving them 30 days notice on 18th Jan and seeing what they come up with, I contacted recently and the offers were rubbish.
    How are you determine speeds are the same? From speed tests online or from looking at download files? For a true test you would have to disconnect everything and just use your PC/laptop. You also need to consider the HDD speeds when downloading as the file needs to be read and written to the drive etc. It's not so simple as 1gbps and everything will download at that speed.
    t3rm3y23/12/2021 18:57

How are you determine speeds are the same? From speed tests online or from …How are you determine speeds are the same? From speed tests online or from looking at download files? For a true test you would have to disconnect everything and just use your PC/laptop. You also need to consider the HDD speeds when downloading as the file needs to be read and written to the drive etc. It's not so simple as 1gbps and everything will download at that speed.

My download speed improved at the same time I upgraded the hard drive to a SSD. Coincidence or whatever, not complaining
    bozo00723/12/2021 19:00

My download speed improved at the same time I upgraded the hard drive to a …My download speed improved at the same time I upgraded the hard drive to a SSD. Coincidence or whatever, not complaining

Yep because the computer can write the file to the drive quicker so can download quicker , but you need to consider copy, ram, what else is on the network using resources what else the router is having to deal with - some have CPU, ram etc but most home routers are just basic. (edited)
    My 500mb to 1gb upgrade took 24hrs, net dropped for about 2 mins when they made the change.

Was worth the wait though

46515878-wrDIZ.jpg

guilbert5323/12/2021 17:19

I moved to Virgin 1Gig a few months ago but it did take a while for the …I moved to Virgin 1Gig a few months ago but it did take a while for the new speed to take effect.I think I had to put something on the Virgin forums before they took action (they have to make a change their end).Here are the Virgin forums (you have to register first)https://community.virginmedia.com/Use Samknows Realspeed web site to test the speed coming down to your routerWeb site herehttps://www.samknows.com/realspeed/I just ran it and got 1137 mbps

btw ...Samknows speedtest doesn't work if virginhub is in modem mode (edited)
    Author
    Uridium23/12/2021 19:39

My 500mb to 1gb upgrade took 24hrs, net dropped for about 2 mins when they …My 500mb to 1gb upgrade took 24hrs, net dropped for about 2 mins when they made the change.Was worth the wait though [Image] btw ...Samknows speedtest doesn't work if virginhub is in modem mode

Seems like the issue might be the router but will need to further research and testing. Speeds via Ethernet are between 930mb to 1.2gb. I know wired speeds are always going to be better but not by more than 50 imo

t3rm3y23/12/2021 18:57

How are you determine speeds are the same? From speed tests online or from …How are you determine speeds are the same? From speed tests online or from looking at download files? For a true test you would have to disconnect everything and just use your PC/laptop. You also need to consider the HDD speeds when downloading as the file needs to be read and written to the drive etc. It's not so simple as 1gbps and everything will download at that speed.

Tests online (speedtest.net/fast.com). Not the most accurate but its to give rough estimate. (edited)
    You'll never see those kinds of speed over WiFi.
    xPabloz23/12/2021 19:48

Seems like the issue might be the router but will need to further research …Seems like the issue might be the router but will need to further research and testing. Speeds via Ethernet are between 930mb to 1.2gb. I know wired speeds are always going to be better but not by more than 50 imoTests online (speedtest.net/fast.com). Not the most accurate but its to give rough estimate.

xPabloz23/12/2021 19:48

Seems like the issue might be the router but will need to further research …Seems like the issue might be the router but will need to further research and testing. Speeds via Ethernet are between 930mb to 1.2gb. I know wired speeds are always going to be better but not by more than 50 imoTests online (speedtest.net/fast.com). Not the most accurate but its to give rough estimate.

If the speeds online show 500mb or close to it before regrade and now then I would imagine they haven't actually upgraded you yet ..
    Author
    t3rm3y23/12/2021 20:03

If the speeds online show 500mb or close to it before regrade and now then …If the speeds online show 500mb or close to it before regrade and now then I would imagine they haven't actually upgraded you yet ..

Wifi speeds stayed the same (gone slightly worse actually) and i only checked wired speeds because on their end it was showing as activated and on the hub max theoretical throughput had increased but was not reflected on speed tests. It doesnt even reach their guaranteed minimum.
    Author
    Uridium23/12/2021 20:29

You said an ethernet connection is showing 930mb to 1.2gb that means your …You said an ethernet connection is showing 930mb to 1.2gb that means your upgrade is complete. The speed guarantee is to the router not WiFi devices .Unless you have a full WiFi 6 wlan network and devices with WiFi 6 you won't see speeds much over 500mbps ever.

even if you're literally sitting next to it?
    Yeah - WiFi connections will be the bottleneck, the maximum theoretical radio link speed of a fully connected WiFi 6 device is about 1200 Mbps. In ideal conditions that translates to a realistic maximum of 920 Mbps.

I want some speed upgrades now!
    46518318-GeVvG.jpg
    I got the new hub 5 and got it swapped over and connected again within 15 minutes (to be fair I never actually timed it, but I don't think my household would let me turn the internet off for any period longer than that!) (edited)
    48120370-uuam2.jpg
    I get an error when trying to run the Samknowsbest test samknows.com/rea…ed/
    (Looks like you’re having trouble connecting to the Hub)
    I connected here: speedtest.samknows.com/ and got the following:

46518366-yz74U.jpg
    I had a similar problem recently and the solution was to adjust the QOS settings on my TP-link AX3000 wifi 6 router.
    I put the VM router back in router mode to test to see if the upgrade had taken place first. (edited)
    I get about 45MB/s down on my PC, depending on source, on Virgin M350 so your speeds were slower than you should have been getting even on 500Mbit.

I had an Asus 1200G+ router that served me well for about 3 years, until I upgraded to M350 (speed tests at over 380Mbit) from M100. It couldn't cope with the speed and run reliable QoS. When my PC was downloading flat out and someone was streaming, it would buffer with QoS off. With QoS on I was only getting about 86mbit on speed tests. Checking the router screen, the CPU was maxing out so it was clearly the router. I upgraded to an Asus RT-AX86u and not a single issue since, don't even hit 100% on one of the CPU cores now! It was a bit overkill for my current needs, but I bought it with the view of going to 1000mbit in future and didn't want to have to replace it again.

Stress your connection and have a look on the Asus page and check what your CPU and RAM are doing, there's a status tab on the router home screen. If you have QoS on, turn it off and see if your speeds improve. It's probably your router, but your router is much better than my old 1200G+. (edited)
    Author
    Uridium23/12/2021 20:29

You said an ethernet connection is showing 930mb to 1.2gb that means your …You said an ethernet connection is showing 930mb to 1.2gb that means your upgrade is complete. The speed guarantee is to the router not WiFi devices .Unless you have a full WiFi 6 wlan network and devices with WiFi 6 you won't see speeds much over 500mbps ever.

Looks like the bottleneck isnt just the wifi but my asus router. Wired was giving similar speeds as wireless (350mbps vs 400ish wired) whereas vm hub is giving almost 1gbps speed wired and just over 500 wireless but under their guaranteed minimum.
    The minimum speed guarantee is to the VM hub. If you are getting 1gb to the hub as you say then you are getting the supplied speed. The speed guarantee is wired not WiFi.

Virgin will also give you some free WiFi pods if you contact them. This is Virgin media's branded Mesh kit.
    Virgin field sales team offered me M200 - £26 they wouldn’t go any lower at all. Any tips?

My contract is pending cancellation?
    Author
    SSGdeals10/01/2022 17:39

Virgin field sales team offered me M200 - £26 they wouldn’t go any lower at …Virgin field sales team offered me M200 - £26 they wouldn’t go any lower at all. Any tips? My contract is pending cancellation?

Sign up under someone else's name if you're already with them. Alternatively you can ask to price match with online offer. The former is hassle free and M500 was on for £36 + £75 credit (works out £32/m. Got this myself and then ook out £8 o2 for family member to double the data to 1gb.

What bundle are you after?
    I wanted M350 and aiming to pay £25 - same how much my brother got offered.
    Author
    SSGdeals10/01/2022 18:02

I wanted M350 and aiming to pay £25 - same how much my brother got offered.

Could ask your brother to ring them up and say you want same package at different property too
    xPabloz10/01/2022 18:08

Could ask your brother to ring them up and say you want same package at …Could ask your brother to ring them up and say you want same package at different property too

That sadly won’t work, tried it
    Author
    SSGdeals10/01/2022 18:23

That sadly won’t work, tried it

Aother possibility is sign up online to get £50 credit and then use referal code (your brother can refer you) and get further £50 each. Works out £26.44 for you and your brother get free £50. All of this will be added to your virgin media account.

When i signed up i couldn't find an option to add the code so i rang them to add it manually. They said they will credit me £50 after 45 days, got another 15 or so days left afaik (edited)
    Thank you
    how did you get the free upgrade from 500Mb to 1Gb?
    The superhub 4 1gig is a bit of a scam as WiFi is same as hub 3 so you will average 350 to 450 Mbps you only get 800mbps ish on 1 device wired ,hub 5 will be WiFi 6 so bit faster ,best speed is on hub 3
    Adding a nighthawk but in about 2 days speeds will drop ,also connecting TV box to hub4 slows and turns off wifi
    Wow - a lot has changed in 6 months! Sadly back in July my VM internet started to become intermittent, dropping connection or having a ridiculous high latency every 10~15 minutes. I have 3 engineers out to "resolve" and they have swapped out my modem (went from a 5 to a 4, then back to a 5 and the last engineer swapped out the 5 with a new 5!). I have had my speed bumped twice (apparently it's because I had over 20 devices connected). Went from 100 to 200 and then to 350. The 350 is quick when it works!48121402-09G25.jpg
    I also managed to renegotiate my bill - it went from £36 to £62 and now it's down to £22 (plus £15 for the mobile)
    49891565-2zDIU.jpgWTF!
    Whyis my pc device speed always higher than the speed to my router? I'm on virgin gigabit.
's avatar
Top Merchants