10 tips to save money on Hotel accommodation UK

Posted 19th Jun 2023
If looking to book a hotel in the UK, like most things at the moment you may have noticed a significant price increase compared to previous years e.g. London hotel prices are up by about 20% compared to last year. You may also notice that the large hotel chain operators are reducing offers and discounting less, driven by more travel demand post pandemic as well as operating costs. Below is some tips to save money on hotel accommodation in the UK, if you have any tips of your own then feel free to share.

4152849_1.jpg

Tips to save money on UK hotel accommodation

1. Date flexibility and booking in advance: Typically booking a hotel in advance will be cheaper than booking last minute as a general rule. Also if you have date flexibility then certain days will typically be cheaper e.g. Sunday. Where possible book with providers that offer free cancellation, which gives you the flexibility to book again if the rate does become cheaper.

2. Check rates direct: For some smaller independent hotels it's also worth checking their direct website to see if prices are more competitive or if they have any offers on. Booking via athird party is not always cheapest.

3. If booking a Travelodge hotel, utilise the Travelodge price finder tool to find the cheapest rates with saver rates from £25 pricefinder.travelodge.co.uk/ (https://pricefinder.travelodge.co.uk/). Rates are typically cheaper booking further in advance. 5% discount code

4. Look out for any flash sales across the hotel chains e.g. Travelodge / Village hotels, which take place at seasonal times throughout the year. Signup for any newsletters to be alerted to flash sales. Discounts tend to be bigger in December/January sales .

5. If booking a Premier Inn hotel, to get the cheapest rates book at least 2 weeks in advance (ideally a few months in advance) and look at Sunday dates as typically cheaper, from £35 including family rooms.

6. Use Google search to price check hotels on specific dates based on 2 people to see the cheapest availability dates and trends in the calendar year

a) search for hotel n Google e.g. Resident hotel Liverpool
b) click on reviews and then prices
c) Click on date to see matrix of pricing

4152849_1.jpg
7. For UK staycations, Travelzoo offer some market leading prices for UK Short breaks although prices have increased this year. Check the Top 20 weekly offers or check the uk breaks page (https//ww…age to see offers

8. Check discount sites such as Groupon / Itison / Secret Escapes as sometimes run offers on UK breaks for hotels looking to fill rooms.

9. If looking for a budget family break check Haven / Butlins for low cost breaks. Haven and Butlins

10. If looking for theme park breaks including hotel and tickets e.g. Legoland, Chessington, Alton Towers etc then you can either pull together your own break by getting low cost cost tickets e.g. Sun Superdays and pair with a cheap overnight stay at a nearby hotel. Alternatively look out for package offers direct from providers such as Legoland Holidays, Chessington Holidays which run promos throughout the year such as a 2nd day free at the theme park.

Related discussions / useful links

Community Updates
New Comment

100 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    We owned a B&B for several years, nearly all of the OTA's (online travel agents) like booking.com / hotels.com / trip etc charged us around 15%. If we charged less on our website then the OTA's would drop us down their listings on their webesites so we used to put a "discount" button on our own website.

My Advice, find the hotel on an OTA, google the name of the place, see if direct booking is cheaper and if not, call them up and say "I was going to book directly on booking.com, but i thought id call you directly incase its cheaper", we used to give people £10 off if they did this. I'd much rather give my guest a discount than pay a OTA commision
    From my experience, a lot of hotel booking websites hike the cost when you go via a cashback site. This is something else to be wary of.
    For Premier Inn, its advisable to not book it too far out. For a room in 12 months time as an example, because they know that you have something set in stone that you probably wont cancel, like a wedding etc so they load the price.

Best advice is to book a refundable and then check the price each week. We did this for Bury for an October 2022 booking & found that end of August the price dropped so we cancelled and rebooked at the new price & saved £30 for a 2 night booking.
    Find a place on booking.com, go direct & save about 15-20% on the price. Was told that by b&b owners whilst touring Cornwall!
    I have been standing outside a hotel . With the rate of £48 on agoda for the night . Walked in and asked them the rate as it was £60 on there site . They said they couldn't match agoda . So booked through agoda and booking confirmation to hotel in 5 minutes
    Booking.com will show different prices for the same hotel same dates if you visit from cashback sites compared to if you open their website directly. Always better to browse their website incognito and clear cookies
    Do this and/or use a browser like Mullvad with nothing tweaked, which reduces tracking and helps keep you from being fingerprinted. A better and concise explanation on their website for those who aren't sure what this means. mullvad.net/bro…ser (edited)
    Be careful when using 3rd party companies such as Hotels.com & Booking.com to obtain cheap priced hotels. I price searched with Hotels.com to book a hotel through Agoda.com only to find out that after booking that Agoda.com are saying a payment issue occurred with my PayPal payment thus no booking. Despite payment being taken from my bank. There is no issue with my PayPal account. I use it frequently. I called the hotel direct and confirmed there is no booking. So I’ve had to raise a case with PayPal to hopefully obtain a refund.

Moral here is you might think you are getting a cheap deal using a 3rd party website but it’s not guaranteed. When things go wrong they all blame each other. So I’m starting to think better to book direct than pay twice over ie the failed and the actual booking. Do your research in advance. I usually do however this time I let a really cheap price influence my thinking/decision making Big mistake. Be careful! (edited)
    I've stayed in probably a couple of hundred hotels booked by Agoda, including about 40 in the last 12 months. I've never had a failed booking.

The only problem I have had was once inadvertently forgetting to change the payment currency from GBP to the local currency, so I got the Agoda scam exchange rate.
    If using the hotels.com rewards program, you get 1 night free when you stay 10 nights. If you are close (eg you have 9 nights), it can be worth booking a night in the cheapest hotel you can find (eg Lucky Hostel in Cambodia is £6) for the next day, then you reach your 10 nights and are able to use the reward sooner. 
    They are closing this very soon and replacing it with a "similar" rewards points program
    We also use Airbnb. Just make sure to factor in the fees - cleaning fee especially which can make costs disproportionate for a short stay. We've also taken to booking a handful of breaks in Travelodge/Holiday Inn type places - booked two breaks well in advance and cancellable. We've chosen places which are not exactly famous tourist places but great bases to use to explore - last few Tewkesbury, Bridgewater, Droitwich and Illminster. Cancel if it's raining and you've still got another break there up your sleeve.
    Don't use AirBnB. It's incredibly detrimental to the housing market, and has a significant impact on pushing up rents and property prices. There's a bad enough shortage of housing as it is without housing being converted on the sketch into unofficial B&Bs.
    Cashback sites are always worth a look, as you can get upto 10%. However, most hotels now are cheaper direct, even after cashback. They've got around the booking site contracts which say they cannot offer a cheaper rate, by offering 'members rates'.
    Also be careful when comparing rates - it can be for very different rooms and they might not offer the same benefits such as breakfast.
    Hotels.com often offer 10% cashback as well as their 1 free night for every 10 nights bookings (you receive average value and the 10 nights don't need to be one stay). Having said that, for the places I've looked at recently, Hotels.com now offers a much smaller selection of hotels than other sites.
    Great thread, would add heat if possible!

One tip I'd have is to check out YHA in a private room. They're very decently priced on some off-peak dates and are similar to the likes of Travelodge.
    Any tips when YHA are cheaper. I haven't been to any but photos reviews seem quite good on most of their hostels
    Does anyone have any advice on finding interconnecting rooms at budget hotels for cheap family getaways? i’m not talking a family room where you are having to whisper from 7pm onwards once the kids are in bed, i’m talking those hotel rooms with a door between?
    Yes, we have done so with Premier Inn. Swansea is a nice one, Cardiff, Eastbourne if I remember. There are only a certain number in each hotel and you can't ask on the booking form. So I would phone the hotel beforehand to let them know I was going to book and check there's 2 interconnecting rooms available, then book and follow up with email. If you are likely to stay again, make a note of the room numbers for the next time. Also there are a few cheap hotels where family rooms are actually 2 rooms - we have stayed at Red House in Torquay (also a pool), Queens Brighton (also a pool) and Riviera apartments Bournemouth (but then that was really expensive the next time I looked)

Happy travels!
    Recently I booked a stay with an Accor Hotel. After checking all the popular websites (Agoda/Booking/Trivago/Hotels etc.), I went to the website directly and found that the hotel chain's own website gave the cheapest rate for my stay. So the idea of booking directly with the hotel for cheaper rates doesn't apply to smaller hotels alone.
    But still worth checking all available deals, including Amex offers (if you're a cardholder).

We've moved away from Accor in recent years as find Hilton a little more reliable and the loyalty scheme more rewarding. Although, Sofitel LHR T5 remains one of our favourite airport hotels so will always book when we've early flight from T5. (edited)
    I've been doing some extended travel and I'm a big fan of Google Hotels search. They show you the price on the official website and a whole bunch of third party booking sites. For some reason, sometimes the cheapest result is a site like Hotelscombined or Kayak which you click through and end up somewhere like Agoda with a cheaper price than going directly onto Agoda.

I also don't bother with cashback websites on hotel sites any more, every time I try, the price ends up jacked up by around the price of the cashback.
    My number one tip is get a Tent
    Me and my partner are often going on short weekend trips in summer and I give up on hotels, yes booking in advance works but you can't book a weather in advance. Luckily we both enjoy camping and campsite ofer amazing value for money, not to mention 3 night stay in B&B In Italy with a view of Lake Como is cheaper than one night in Bournemouth for instance.
    Been there, done that as a student. It was fun. Then discovered what money was for.
    Best tip, look for cheap flexible rates a long way in advance.
    I do this all the time, book several different stays at the same hotel, and cancel the ones I don't need nearer the time.
    There's no need to pay up front, so it doesn't cost a penny.
    Then sit back and watch the prices go up and up. If any get cheaper, just cancel and rebook the same dates.
    Definitely agree with browsing in incognito, it can make a huge difference
    Best to use two different methods e.g. browse on a phone but book on a PC via broadband as Incognito mode won't hide your ip address. (edited)
    Another tip is to stay at a hotel in Bolton. Going by the property prices there, I'm sure you'll get a good deal (edited)
    Pointless post
    Thanks for all the tips everyone, much appreciated!
    You can get 10% off Hotels.com with Unidays. Recently saved £120 on a trip to Brazil
    Has anyone got this to work? Tried to book for Italy and it said it's not eligible
    Google hotels always finds best price

Hotels.com was my go to a few years ago, always most expensive nowadays
    Just booked 3 nights on the West Coast of Scotland mid August via booking.com.
    NatWest Reward account gets 4% cashback if you book via the link, and the Hotel was in booking.com’s ‘Genius’ program, so got 10% off the booking with that.
    It was a cheapish Hotel anyway, but those 2 things on top has saved me about another £30.
    too many of these 10 ways to save on hotels/energy....... Can we get back to deals please. Most if not all that is stated is pointing out the obvious
    In your own opinion.

Lots of tips and tricks to be learnt for future bookings.
    4pc cashback with lloyds bank for the next four days at booking .com (edited)
    You need to click through the link to get cashback. But does it show same price if you don't go through affiliate link. Try on different browser or incognito first
    I managed to get an 8 capacity house for £200/night for the 6 of us.
    Sorry that's just a brag...
    The best advice I can give anyone is invest in a good quality sleeping bag
    Sutton hotels offering rooms for nhs staff for £75 to celebrate 75 yrs of NHS
    Whats the best way to look for Lodge stays.

We usually use Hoseasons, but just wondering if there are any alternatives.
    Has anyone booked through stay for long or discount2, both are newish to me but are they reliable?
    I usually book direct or booking.com or hotels.com tia
    Has anyone got tips for booking all inclusive in Turkey (wife`s family won`t need a visa there)? Looking at October, prices are quite high
    Something that happened recently to me, beaware of the headline price.
    I searched for a location & date/time for 1 night on booking.com , price was £114 a night, but when I clicked thro' it jumped up to £244. I had something else lined up, and almost cancelled based on the £114 a night price.
    Many thanks Bud!
    great thread to follow!
    Was looking for the heat button! Thank you the advice in this thread is spot on! Invaluable, you always come through and are a great asset to the HUKD community.
    I am planning to go to Egypt in Aug 23, does anyone know the cheapest 5 star family friendly hotel in Cairo city for 2,weeks.
    Thanks OP - will check this thread the next time I need to book a place to stay
    Travel lodge give you a 20% discount off for your bday voucher
    I’ve found booking.com and hotel.com have both lost selection and search results are infected with airB&B style independent rooms. Search function gone downhill too with the map view not showing you everything (no doubt ranked by margin).

Best deals I’ve found are direct even through large chains like ibis.
    Good work
    Another one is secret hotels on Lastminute.com. You also get a 10% cash back via TopCashBack too.

I went to Dublin earlier this year for 2 nights. Wanted something central and remembered TopSecretHotels having not used it for years. Thought I would have a look as I always forget about using that. I ended up staying in a Jurys Inn in the centre of town. It was a Friday and I decided to fly out on a Monday so pretty lastminute. Direct price/Booking.com was £250 but via Secret Hotels I got it for £140 excluding breakfast. Breakfast was a £10 if wanted. So it was a decent deal.
    Agoda seems cheaper than the others. Paid £86 for a couple of nights at Llandudno, next cheapest was £103.
    Just so long as you weren't hoping to see a sandy beach.
    youtu.be/X3T…2kF
's avatar