Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Daniel Defoe - Robinson Crusoe: The Original 1719 Edition (A Daniel Defoe Classics) Kindle Edition - Now Free @ Amazon

Posted 30th Apr 2023
Customer reviews: 4.6 out of 5 stars 556 ratings

Robinson Crusoe is a novel by Daniel Defoe, first published on 25 April 1719. The first edition credited the work's protagonist Robinson Crusoe as its author, leading many readers to believe he was a real person and the book a travelogue of true incidents.

Epistolary, confessional, and didactic in form, the book is presented as an autobiography of the title character (whose birth name is Robinson Kreutznaer) – a castaway who spends 28 years on a remote tropical desert island near the coasts of Venezuela and Trinidad, roughly resembling Tobago, encountering cannibals, captives, and mutineers before being rescued. The story has been thought to be based on the life of Alexander Selkirk, a Scottish castaway who lived for four years on a Pacific island called "Más a Tierra" (now part of Chile) which was renamed Robinson Crusoe Island in 1966.

Despite its simple narrative style, Robinson Crusoe was well received in the literary world and is often credited as marking the beginning of realistic fiction as a literary genre. It is generally seen as a contender for the first English novel. Before the end of 1719, the book had already run through four editions, and it has gone on to become one of the most widely published books in history, spawning so many imitations, not only in literature but also in film, television, and radio, that its name is used to define a genre, the Robinsonade.

4128401_1.jpgProduct details
  • ASIN ‏ : ‎ B0C3RZP7F6
  • Publisher ‏ : ‎ Global Publishers (29 April 2023)
  • Language ‏ : ‎ English
  • File size ‏ : ‎ 1989 KB
  • Text-to-Speech ‏ : ‎ Enabled
  • Screen Reader ‏ : ‎ Supported
  • Enhanced typesetting ‏ : ‎ Enabled
  • X-Ray ‏ : ‎ Not Enabled
  • Word Wise ‏ : ‎ Enabled
  • Sticky notes ‏ : ‎ On Kindle Scribe
  • Print length ‏ : ‎ 321 pages

Customer reviews: 4.6 4.6 out of 5 stars 556 ratings
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Justintime12
    1719 version! Is average Jo(sephine) going to be able to decipher the language? I struggled with dickens

This review is hilarious

'Wanted to start a collection of classics for grandson, but the book appears “old fashioned”. The font size is too small and not conducive to using for reading from.' (edited)
    EndlessWaves
    Looking the sample on the page this isn't the 1719 edition. Compare it to the British Library's images for example. It's just another Amazon listing describing the product dishonestly in the hopes of standing out.

But generally with modern spellings Defoe is pretty readable, this was a century after Shakespeare. You may even find it easier than the florid style that was popular for most of the 19th century when Dickens was writing.
    TiredParent
    Where’s the link (edited)
    aLV426
    Such a tease - making me work to find this! No link, can't be bothered....
    Boz Author
    I posted this in freebies with full links. But it was moved to discussion without any links but promptly closed it when I saw what had happened. Looks like it's been reopened. I'll close it off.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants