Hive lights + Hive Sensor - organising a schedule for day & night HELP

Posted 30th Jul 2023
Hi. So I got myself a Hive sensor for bathroom (4x GU10 Hive bulbs).

I'm going round in circles with the app (which is rubbish at the best of times) and hoping for help for those who use this scenario.

All I want to do is schedule 10% brightness between 23:00 - 07:00 when motion is triggered and then during the day have the bulbs come on at 50%, again when motion is triggered.

I cannot for the life of me get it to work re scehduling on the hive app - it keeps reverting to random times on the app like 08:00 - 08:00 following day despite saving each time . Then when I go to the group of bathroom lights, the 'action' where the sensor is tied to doesn't allow a change of brightness for a new timing zone (basically can only 'turn on light when there's motion in the dark'.....ok, but what about during the day and at a different brightness level?).

I'm flumoxed as thought this would be reasonably easy. If anyone knows how to help me with this I'd be massively appreciative as I've looking in a lot of places without gleaning much. TIA.
Community Updates
New Comment

4 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Try using the Alexa app instead. Add your hive bulbs and sensors to it and set a routine.
    I do a similar thing for my landing lights.
    Author
    I've heard alexa is quite good for hive but sadly don't have it in the house by choice. Altho could I just use the app - we don't have any of the physcial alexa stuff such as echos or whatnot? Thanks.
    I wonder if there is a problem with your app or even the hub...

Have you tried breaking it down ie just setting up the schedule for the night time first and seeing how you get on with that. I have 2 Hive bulbs added into one Group. I also have a motion sensor for which I want it to trigger the lights for 5 minutes after dark (so in my case the period is "after sunset" as opposed to between specific times but I guess the principle is the same) and for the most part this has been working fine for me for several years.

I guess what I'm trying to say is can you begin with a simple case then if that works, refine it until it breaks? or is it not working even at that level?

I will post screenshots of my action below in case it helps even remotely...
    50694568-IGEWv.jpg50694568-ZDHEN.jpg50694568-hLyhB.jpg
    I may have used one of the built in actions as a starting point and then refined from there, it's been a while :/

Anyway this setup works well mostly. Occasionally it doesn't turn them off again so they will be on until I notice (they are outside, I assume yours will be more noticeable if this occurs being indoors!) and occasionally I have to power cycle the bulbs and/or the hub if one of the lights goes rogue and starts to do its own thing