How long do you keep your cardboard boxes for?

Posted 31st May 2023
Since you are reading this post on a deal site, I'll assume that you, like me, buy things.

From charging cables, to TVs, to fridges - most things come in a cardboard box.

How long do you hold onto these cardboard boxes? I don't mean the brown boxes from Amazon, I mean the actual box these items come in.

I have a habit of keeping most of the packaging - I have it in the back of my mind that the boxes might be necessary if I have to return for any reason or if I want to resell that item (mobiles, for example).

But, I have a lot of boxes now. Probably should bin most of them.

Am I alone in this?
Does everyone else bin the packaging as soon as they open their item?
How long do you keep your boxes for?
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

31 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Isaac_McCafferty
    Only keep boxes that i think i'll potentially resell in the future - for example iPhone boxes/ games consoles etc.

I think theres extra value in keeping the box, it shows care
    pookynuts
    Stuff I think I may resell, I stick the boxes in the loft
    pfagan10
    For tech that's mint condition I tend to hold onto them until I sell on. If it's shabby I bin the boxes regularly. and probably after a year or so if I dont think the item is worth anything.
    psychobitchfromhell
    I don't keep boxes. Once I have ascertained something works, the box goes in the recycling. Beginning to think I'm the odd one out now. Mind you, I keep things till they break, so the only place they will be going is down the tip or in the bin. Don't need boxes for that
    Deedie
    no need to have boxes if you have to return something because of fault etc
    solid Author
    Ah, really, didn't know that

I was thinking that if there's a fault, and I send it back without a box, the shop might say that the fault/damage was caused by returning without it being packaged safely
    M4tt31
    Apart from phone boxes whoch can be easily stored (or sold on ebay) I check whatever it is works and then dispose of the box.

If there's ever an issue with TVs/large appliances etc these days they tend to send a technician out to check it anyway and the only one that had actually fully broke the company sent a box for it.
    aLV426
    I usually throw them out a few days before I realise I needed them!
    Sadly a leak in the summer house destroyed my large collection of original boxes, everything from the Vectrex to my Xbox and loads in between. So gutted.
    Thankfully, despite throwing out the boxes within days of things going faulty Argos had no issue processing warranty. Bothe the microwave & printer got credit notes without issue. I realised then why everyone sings their praises!
    captainbeaky
    Might be worth checking the return policy of the company you bought from before discarding the boxes for high value large items.

I had to return a piece of fairly expensive audio equipment under warranty recently & the retailer would only offer free collection if it was in its original box & polystyrene packaging. Otherwise I would have to returned at my own expense & risk.

Luckily I still had the box. (edited)
    Deedie
    You should have pushed back a lot. They can't insist on that.
    xenophon
    Usually after about a month but there are exceptions.
    Wongy111
    Still had my old TV in the box for the new one in the attic last year
    after nine years
    stopped doing that now life is too short for the clutter

exception being shoe boxes like to wear them indoors a lot just to make sure they fit
    then they are useful for keeping clutter in....
    DJSlime
    I keep video game and LEGO boxes mainly.

Having previously worked in retail for years you soon learn that it's quite unreasonable for customers to keep boxes.
    solid Author
    Interesting comment - what did you mean by "unreasonable for customers to keep boxes"?
    Yolofknell
    I keep all boxes. Stll have the box for the first PS3 that was released in the loft.
    superted2008
    I get the p!ss taken out of me every other week for this. My friends genuinely believe I have a fetish for boxes.

The truth is, it’s a habit for me now.

Growing up if I managed to save enough money to buy something expensive, I would try and keep the item in the best condition possible and save the box for when I wanted to sell it on.

Now I don’t sell anything on, but still keep the boxes. Our loft is full of them. (edited)
    andynicol
    Like others, anything that's likely to be sold on.

Macbook, iPhones, PC, consoles etc

Items always sell quick when advertised with original boxes, particuarly approaching Christmas.

Aside from the above, trainers, always keep my trainers in original box, until there knackered that is and turn into the gardening shoes...
    SnoopZ
    I keep boxes like console boxes, but wouldn't keep anything much bigger. Saying that I still have an old TV box in the loft I should dump and probably lots of other small boxes I don't need anymore.
    yorkie12
    I keep small boxes (Phones and the like) while ever I've still got the item. Boxes for larger items just keep for a few days , once I know it works OK the box goes but the odd one I keep for storage, mainly seasonal use stuff like fans.
    CalmerChameleon
    Indefinitely.

If it's good sturdy box, maybe forever. If it's a resale item box, until I sell it. If it's a cheap small item, binned. If it's an item that I have no intention of selling and it has passed its warranty date, binned (unless it's a sturdy box!). The general politics of the box rule in our house!
    thepostie
    Console boxes, Expensive toys , Lego, Anything that we can resell basically otherwise it gets recycled.
    m4rmite
    It goes like this in my house.
    Something new and shiny comes out the box, i say we need to keep that at least for a little while.

Recycling bin day the OH puts it in the cardboard bin
    bracey100
    i still got my tv box 3 years later lol u not on your own
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants