Ryanair - info flying with them, luggage etc

Posted 12th Apr 2023
I'm flying with Ryanair for the first time. I'm aware of people's views flying with them. I'm going Hungary for a few nights and opted for hand luggage only. I plan to take my rucksack only. However, how do I take liquids, antiperspirant spray, aftershave etc?

Also will a rucksack be acceptable as hand luggage?
Community Updates
New Comment

22 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    This may help for bag sizes- bag policy
    The Ryanair website is clear about what you need to do. Read it well and carefully - You need to do things by their rules. They are clear about the max size of the small cabin bag. Warning: it is small. Any larger and you need to be aware that you are breaking the rules and could be charged extra - you may get away with it, but then again you may not. Ask yourself what do you actually need for your trip. Wear as much as you can. Check in beforehand and have your boarding pass (phone or printed) ready in advance. Liquids and stuff are nothing to do with Ryanair - this is UK security law. Liquids -which includes pastes and 'anything that can be spread', max size 100ml and must be contained in a small clear plastic bag. Can't remember the exact size but google it. DON'T leave this until just before security coz you'll have a panic on your hands. There are shops in Hungary. All keys, coins, general carp out of the clothes you're wearing for security inc metal belts, phones and watches. There will be many attempts to get you to upgrade during the check in process. Ignore them as this is how they make their money. Enjoy.
    Author
    Thank you
    A regular rucksack is fine and you will need travel size bottles for deodrant and actual liquids you can take in a see thruough bottle no more than 100ml or buy when you get there
    just buy the travel size antiperspirant or buy in Boots after check in, you can order online to pick up in store at the airport
    Read their rules and stick to them and you'll have no problem. It's when people try to use bigger bags (of whatever type) they can (sometimes) run into problems. Quite rightly if people try to take bigger bags without paying the fee it can work out expensive for them. Enjoy your trip with Ryanair, I've done probably hundreds by now.
    We took a small rucksack as that's all that is allowed, however they never checked and could of got away with a larger one but that might not be the case every time. As for liquids, they have to be under 100ml and put into a clear bag which then fits into the rucksack
    (Did you pay for hand luggage or free cabin luggage) (edited)
    Author
    Free cabin luggage
    Buy it when you get there?
    Flew with them last month. Basically any bag with wheels that hadn't paid got stopped and was charged I think around £60-£70. I just had a regular rucksack and the didn't say anything.

Didn't take any liquids but the rules are the same as they have been for years, 100ml max per bottle. All must fit inside 1 standard transparent sealable plastic bags you pick up at the airport. (edited)
    Author
    Can you take medication?
    Yes you can
    You can take a large empty bottle for water and fill up after security. Airports must provide water filling stations after security. You've just gotta find them. That or the wetherspoons and it's drum of water on the bars.
    Where you flying from? Some airports (London City, Teeside) have increased the liquid limit to 2l. Due to the new scanners/security which all airports need to have by next June.
    You need to get back though - that's the catch. Will they have this tech in Hungary?
    Author
    So we booked tickets together and if I remember you had to pay Extra to sit together. Do they normally allocate seats together on flight?
's avatar