Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Shell Broadband - outage issue!

Posted 27th Jul 2023
Hi

I have been with Shell Broadband for 7 months now.

It was cheap hence I left my long-term provider: Sky which I had no issues with for over a decade.

Shell was okay until my internet stopped working out of the blue. Apparently, I am the only one who uses Shell broadband in my area as a result no one has reported that the internet is not working due to a problem with a line outside. I waited for a day and made a call and they informed me that the engineer from Openreach will be coming to fix it next week but unsure when exactly but the engineer will be in touch with me…..

I did not really care when someone advised me that if I choose Shell, it will be okay if nothing happens but I would know why people go with a big internet provider such as Sky or BT when something happens like this…. When I was with Sky, they fix anything like this in a few hours…… it’s a little bit painful living without the Internet! So inconvenient .

Shell has told me that they will refund the fee for the days that I was unable to use the Internet. But not sure if that’s everything they could offer… I hope they can fix it soon. Please be careful when you choose which one to go for!
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Paddy_o_furniture
    If it's an outside like fault, it's likely the fault would have occured no matter who your provider. To the most part of they're using the Openreach infrastructure they use the same cables to your house.

The service level agreement between Shell and Openreach may not give the priority of engineers to shell as say the Sky or EE ones do, hence your wait.
    Jay_Ma Author
    Thank you very much for your input on this matter! It is resolved now!
    melted
    I doubt which consumer ISP your are with would make any difference at all, other than possibly how long it takes their support dept to answer your call and accept that there is a fault. In my experience it could prove pretty time consuming with cheaper ISPs to get an obvious line fault even escalated from thier foreign based call handlers who deal with customer caused issues to the top tier of the ISP's support staff who could actually accept there is a line fault and pass it on to openreach.

If it is a line/hardware fault it won't get fixed in a few hours, an openreach engineer has to be booked, and if you are really unlucky and the fault is located somewhere like a busy junction it may take time for openreach to obtain permission to block off part of the road. (edited)
    Jay_Ma Author
    Thank you so much for your reply on this! It has been resolved!
    Pájaro
    Fwiw, next time your broadband goes down, you should be able to use your phone as a hotspot. Google for a how-to, but it can be as easy as plugging it in to your PC via USB and selecting 'enable USB tethering' on the menu which pops up.
    Jay_Ma Author
    Thank you for the advice:) Yep, that’s what I relied on! But my mobile data was drastically dropped 🥲.
    Diogenes007
    Shell has announced it will be selling both Shell Energy and Shell Energy Broadband, so I doubt the service level situation is going to improve. Shell took over First Utility, which frequently came bottom of the service league tables, when it entered the UK market. My advice would be to look for an exit strategy and find another provider, pronto.

choose.co.uk/new…le/

choose.co.uk/bro…ce/

50685394-2LOMl.jpg (edited)
    UKUJ
    shell broadband kept on cancelling my order , because of them i was without broadband for 1months +....existing broadnand provider disabled their services in order for shell to switch ...and shell cancelled my order on the switch day....dodgy ...
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants