Virgin Media Disconnection - No fair deal offered and now in trouble. Can anyone help?

Posted 28th Nov 2021
TL;DR - Disconnected as couldn't get a fair deal, no fair offer was given and I've been disconnected (unexpectedly as wasn't given a date). Worse off than before and don't know how I'm supposed to get a better deal...

Hello, after many many years of being with Virgin Media (We've been subscribed since it was CableTel!), we have been trying to get better deals and really struggling. I've been paying £62 a month for 100mb broadband and the lowest TV and telephone packages (as a bundle). This apparently contains 'loyalty discount', and so every time I call they refuse to offer a better deal. I try many times throughout the years. We don't even want the telephone or TV, they are literally unplugged, just the broadband, which I now use for remote working.

Recently, I was offered a best discount of £3 less for the same package, even though I told them I don't want a bundle, and actually would love to be able to have faster broadband due to the usage here. After seeing other people's package prices here, on other forums, and from friends, I thought enough is enough, this isn't fair. And I went through the retentions disconnection process as is always advised on here to get the best deal...

Well it's been a nightmare. After several conversations of contradicting statements and lies from different people, recently told to wait for another call to offer a better deal, and also waiting for a call with information about the actual disconnection date, I've now been fully disconnected today without being notified that it would happen today.

I received 1 call a few weeks back offering a 'better' deal. To be fair it was better as it was just broadband, but it wasn't much of a discount, and I said that if I was going to start a new contract, I'd like faster broadband. Sadly, I didn't get another call back as suggested. I contacted them again to ask for a better deal, refused. Was told I'd get at least another 2-3 call backs, didn't get them.

So now after several conversations of arguing, I was told they can reconnect me (without the £25 fee that they were initially trying on me!!) but on my old package or full price with just the broadband for a minimum contract of 2 months. Which will take 72 hours.

So how on earth am I actually supposed to get a better deal?! I see so many people on here post their package prices, and I cannot get anyone to even come close to these offers. I've been through disconnection, and now instead it's leaving me worse off!

Can anyone please advise?

Edit: Just to note, VM are the only providers at this property who can offer suitable broadband speeds. I contacted other providers but it turns out they can only offer extremely low speeds, or can't offer anything at all.
Community Updates
New Comment

51 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Gollywood
    Just leave! Plenty of cheaper fibre broadband deals out there for about a third of what you're paying
    koppyking
    No advise for you mate,but i do feel for you. I'd been with them 20 years since Telewest days,but with Virgin loyalty counts for nothing.
    You're not the first customer they've lied too,CS is shocking at times.
    I went through the same process this year with them but actually signed up to another provider then put my notice in.
    I got the call and they matched my new deal. It was only because it was 'easier' to stay with them,no new installation ,changing email addresses etc (my main ones are with Virgin) that i stayed.
    Leave if you can. Sod 'em. (edited)
    a666andy
    You gave them a months notice so should not of been surprised with the disconnection really.

You said "we", so i would suggest signing up in the other persons name as a new customer deal. They've possibly seen you've been with them for so long so didn't feel they needed to offer much for you to stay.

Else just sign up with another provider if possible, nowtv was offering a very good broadband deal although less than your current 100meg.
    sane4sure
    If you don't want TV or phone, why are you even looking at Virgin? Plenty of cheaper offers out there for just broadband.
    Myriad
    Yeah you're getting ripped off and they would have told you or received email about your cancellation date which is like +30 days from notice.

If you don't need tv sign up on another household name/email: hotukdeals.com/dea…695 (edited)
    anthea
    I am with Shell and I am very happy with them .
    I had to take Virgin to ombudsman to get my money back from .
    Two yrs of hassle
    Anonymous User
    Virgin website is currently offering M100 Fibre broadband only deal for £25 a month, £35 set up fee, 18 month contract. There are countless providers that will offer phone/broadband offers below 30 quid a month. Stop accepting a tv package, that will obviously bump the price up.
    donster
    You described yourself as a "we" Can you sign up in the other persons name as a new subscriber and get cheap new subscriber offer?
    Mark_Hickman
    Virgin are always cheaper for me with tv included rather than 100mb broadband on its own.
    Been paying £30-40 for tv and bb for at least 5 years plus getting quidco £100-120 cashback.
    Just sign up as a new customer in your parners or other persons name living at the property, then every 12 months switch between yours and theirs again (edited)
    Westwoodo
    Lulz.
    jameshothothot
    If you need internet quick while you haggle with the others get a three 5g sim and WiFi hotspot thingy
    a666andy
    Yes you can do it straight away. They were telling you that YOU have to wait, nothing wrong with the other person signing up now.

Self install should hopefully not be much wait and be sure to check topcashback etc. To sweeten the deal.
    Anonymous User
    I just got a mid contract change to 500mb for £38 as I asked for 1gb upgrade which they couldn’t do as it’s not been commissioned yet in my area.

If you want a better deal ask about 200mb broadband and the tv. They will offer you a deal for less money.

If you are an o2 customer contact them to ask about volt upgrades, either phone or webchat.

Alternatively let it disconnect and sign up as a new customer in your wife’s name maiden name if possible (it is legal). Do it via broadbandchoices (price comparison website) for a good deal.

For just broadband:
    46243119-h96qZ.jpg (edited)
    Bargainhead
    WaxMechaniK28/11/2021 18:40

Could I do this immediately after the disconnection? They told me I'd need …Could I do this immediately after the disconnection? They told me I'd need to wait 30-60 days before signing up to a new contract again. Would I still need to wait if I just signed up straight away under another person's name (who is at the property of course)? I'm worried even if I could, that I'd have to wait a long time before everything is connected again...

yes they can sign up straight away. virgin says you can't not other people.
    WaxMechaniK Author
    deleted240282428/11/2021 19:48

I just got a mid contract change to 500mb for £38 as I asked for 1gb …I just got a mid contract change to 500mb for £38 as I asked for 1gb upgrade which they couldn’t do as it’s not been commissioned yet in my area.If you want a better deal ask about 200mb broadband and the tv. They will offer you a deal for less money.If you are an o2 customer contact them to ask about volt upgrades, either phone or webchat.Alternatively let it disconnect and sign up as a new customer in your wife’s name maiden name if possible (it is legal). Do it via broadbandchoices (price comparison website) for a good deal.For just broadband:[Image]

I’ve actually been asking for the 500mb £38 offer over and over but always refuse. I’m not even actually in a contract right now.

It’s a shame as it’s not like I’m asking for anything extreme or unrealistic. I really don’t want to have to go through with the disconnection but I might be forced to. It’s ridiculous as I’m sure that’s even more work for virgin.
    a666andy
    Gohan12328/11/2021 21:14

Could I ask something does email address needs to be different and card …Could I ask something does email address needs to be different and card details...or can they be same.

Probably be best to be a different email, doubt payment details will matter as will / should be a different name to match the person taking out the contract.
    Anonymous User
    Gohan12328/11/2021 21:14

Could I ask something does email address needs to be different and card …Could I ask something does email address needs to be different and card details...or can they be same.

It would be a DD so account and sort would be same but name would be different. Email would have to be different as that’s linked to your account (edited)
    Anonymous User
    WaxMechaniK28/11/2021 17:56

VM are the only broadband provider at my property that can provide …VM are the only broadband provider at my property that can provide acceptable speeds.

And now it makes sense why you aren't getting decent offers....
    Anonymous User
    deleted139078628/11/2021 21:29

And now it makes sense why you aren't getting decent offers....

Same is true where I live yet I got a decent deal (edited)
    BrumGB
    Just leave, they’ll probably phone you up with an offer once you’ve ordered new broadband
    IAmATeaf
    It’s not unknown to be cut off earlier simply as Virgin are at the best of time just plain and simple incompetent.

Two options, move on which is what I’d be tempted to do or if you really want to stick with Virgin then sign up in your partners name.
    jord_1992
    If it’s just broadband you want, I’m with Vodafone super fast 2 which has been brilliant and because we have a Vodafone contract we get £3 discount, I pay £18 a month for on average 55/60mb which is fine as it’s always consistent and never drops
    AndyRoyd
    "...which I now use for remote working..." so the consumer product is not suitable without the £9.99/m Homeworks add-on, otherwise:
    VM business products here,
    or business broadband comparison examples
    all with benefit of business-grade SLAs not consumer-grade "best effort", and no violated consumer terms.
    AndyRoyd
    AndyRoyd28/11/2021 14:59

"...which I now use for remote working..." so the consumer product is not …"...which I now use for remote working..." so the consumer product is not suitable without the £9.99/m Homeworks add-on, otherwise:VM business products here,or business broadband comparison examplesall with benefit of business-grade SLAs not consumer-grade "best effort", and no violated consumer terms.

If OP wishes to stay with VM (why if so disillusioned?) VM business package Vroom1 is about £38/m on 24m term 350Mbps, with beneficial business-grade SLAs
    virginmediabusiness.co.uk/con…e-1
    Brando1
    If you have a partner sign up in their name and get a new customer deal
    Anonymous User
    I don't know about OP's status but Virgin are literally the only ones we can get here. They have a monopoly in the area, no other providers provide to my street.
    cycleman
    Always had an interesting relationship with Virgin, have to haggle every time they try to put the bill up but have always got it down.
    Paying around £45 for 100mb bb, basic tv and landline, like you I don’t really use the landline, I know I could get a cheaper dealbut can’t be bothered changing to save a few quid too much hassle.
    IAmATeaf
    Haggling is a real hassle and it all depends who you get to talk to and if they are interested in helping. When I renewed mine last January I called them I think 3 times before I got through to guy in Sheffield who actually wanted to help. In the end I settled for 100mb BB with land line and a free SIM for £29/month for 18 months. Not the best deal when reading other threads here but I was happy with it.

Dreading having to go through the same when it comes renewal time.
    radium
    Try the Virgin business broadband team. If they ask for proof just tell them you're unincorporated. Might work.
    WaxMechaniK Author
    Thanks for everyone's responses. I'll try to respond any individually.

Something I failed to mention is that VM are the only broadband provider at my property that can provide acceptable speeds. I didn't actually realise this until a few weeks back when I contacted other providers. Sadly the speed is needed here.

I've had to accept the reconnection for now which will take 72 hours, but been told it will probably be within 24 hours, so fingers crossed. I was advised this means agreeing to a minimum 2 month contract on the package I was on previously, but I have 2 weeks to change my mind. So I guess I have some more time now, but still need to try and get the best deal as I shouldn't be paying this much.
    WaxMechaniK Author
    Gollywood28/11/2021 12:08

Just leave! Plenty of cheaper fibre broadband deals out there for about a …Just leave! Plenty of cheaper fibre broadband deals out there for about a third of what you're paying

That was the plan! But sadly I found out just recently that no other provider can offer suitable speeds or even a package at all. So it looks like I need to stick with VM.
    WaxMechaniK Author
    sane4sure28/11/2021 12:26

If you don't want TV or phone, why are you even looking at Virgin? Plenty …If you don't want TV or phone, why are you even looking at Virgin? Plenty of cheaper offers out there for just broadband.

Unfortunately only VM can offer suitable speeds
    WaxMechaniK Author
    AndyRoyd28/11/2021 15:05

If OP wishes to stay with VM (why if so disillusioned?) VM business …If OP wishes to stay with VM (why if so disillusioned?) VM business package Vroom1 is about £38/m on 24m term 350Mbps, with beneficial business-grade SLAshttps://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/connectivity/internet-access/business-broadband/voom-fibre-1

It looks like I have to stick with VM as they are the only provider that can give suitable speeds. Can I actually get business broadband as an employee at an organisation? My job wasn't meant to be remote but it is fully remote at the moment due to Covid. I'm also hearing that business broadband has poor upload speeds? If this is true this will be an issue as I've already had problems with the broadband upload speed. I think this is because of the type of work I do online, plus heavy video conferencing, and all other home stuff on top.
    Bargainhead
    WaxMechaniK28/11/2021 18:00

Unfortunately only VM can offer suitable speeds

keep the cancelation and sign up as new customer..
    WaxMechaniK Author
    a666andy28/11/2021 12:12

You gave them a months notice so should not of been surprised with the …You gave them a months notice so should not of been surprised with the disconnection really.You said "we", so i would suggest signing up in the other persons name as a new customer deal. They've possibly seen you've been with them for so long so didn't feel they needed to offer much for you to stay.Else just sign up with another provider if possible, nowtv was offering a very good broadband deal although less than your current 100meg.

I was told I'd get further calls, plus clarity on the date, before the disconnection, and so was waiting for that.

They told me that if I wanted to sign up again, I'd have to wait 30-60 days. Does this still apply if its in someone else's name?

Unfortunately it looks like another provider is no an option here...
    AndyRoyd
    WaxMechaniK28/11/2021 18:05

It looks like I have to stick with VM as they are the only provider that …It looks like I have to stick with VM as they are the only provider that can give suitable speeds. Can I actually get business broadband as an employee at an organisation? My job wasn't meant to be remote but it is fully remote at the moment due to Covid. I'm also hearing that business broadband has poor upload speeds? If this is true this will be an issue as I've already had problems with the broadband upload speed. I think this is because of the type of work I do online, plus heavy video conferencing, and all other home stuff on top.

"...Business broadband can be used at home if your business is registered to that address. If you are working from home for another business, check out our HomeWorks offer to give you a professional broadband experience..."
    WaxMechaniK Author
    deleted192272228/11/2021 18:07

keep the cancelation and sign up as new customer..

They told me I'd have to wait 30-60 days before signing up as a new customer again? I wouldn't be able to go without internet, especially for that long. Unless this isn't true?
    WaxMechaniK Author
    AndyRoyd28/11/2021 18:08

"...Business broadband can be used at home if your business is registered …"...Business broadband can be used at home if your business is registered to that address. If you are working from home for another business, check out our HomeWorks offer to give you a professional broadband experience..."

I don't understand what HomeWorks solves here though? Just looks like an additional paid add-on for faster tech support?
    a666andy
    WaxMechaniK28/11/2021 18:09

They told me I'd have to wait 30-60 days before signing up as a new …They told me I'd have to wait 30-60 days before signing up as a new customer again? I wouldn't be able to go without internet, especially for that long. Unless this isn't true?

Just sign up under someone else's name who lives at the same address.
    Bargainhead
    WaxMechaniK28/11/2021 18:09

They told me I'd have to wait 30-60 days before signing up as a new …They told me I'd have to wait 30-60 days before signing up as a new customer again? I wouldn't be able to go without internet, especially for that long. Unless this isn't true?

anyone at the addres could sign up for a new contract. put it in the wifes or husbands name or even a child if there over 18. good luck and dont get bullied by them. have you tried mobile broadband some of those are well above 50mb and you dont need virgin or phone line. three do one cheap enough..
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants