Anyone used Easyjet since they changed their luggage allowance?

Posted 8th Sep 2021
I will be flying with Easyjet this weekend and noticed their luggage allowance has changed.

You can bring one small cabin bag (Maximum size 45 x 36 x 20 cm including any handles or wheels) on board. My cabin bag is H50, W35, D17cm including handle and wheels so it's 5cm bigger.

Does anyone know how strict Easyjet is with luggage allowance? Will I get stopped when I board the plane and asked to pay more as my cabin bag is slightly bigger?
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Yes I just used them but stupidly didn’t bother reading what they say on their website before you check in about their new luggage allowance so I took a normal size hand luggage and they stopped me and I had to pay £24 .......
    It’s up to you if you would want to take the risk or not, if they think it’s to big they will ask you to put it in a some sort of metal frame and if it doesn’t fit than they will charge you......
    After being stopped once I personally wouldn’t!
    A lot depends on the staff at the gate and how full the flight is. In case of the latter, even usually generous staff will apply the rules rigorously. Another consideration is that in today's environment, they may have been given instructions to maximise any fees.
    bozo00709/09/2021 06:47

A lot depends on the staff at the gate and how full the flight is. In case …A lot depends on the staff at the gate and how full the flight is. In case of the latter, even usually generous staff will apply the rules rigorously. Another consideration is that in today's environment, they may have been given instructions to maximise any fees.

This is exactly what I was going to write.

Sometimes if the flight is full (which is likely as they often combine less full flights now), they ask for volunteers to place their hand luggage in the hold and board early - I would take that if offered as they are unlikely to charge you even if your bag is over size.
    Just to echo the same opinion, it's not worth the risk. It is about 50/50 based on my experience.
    Read this this morning (I wouldn't normally read the Sun, but the title got me interested)

thesun.co.uk/tra…mp/
    We went with them 3 weeks ago. As we where queuing up at the gate to board the plane the couple in front where stopped and told to put the case in the case stand to see if it would fit. It didn’t so they had to pay I think £25 for it to go in the hold. Just be careful.
    See if you can book "hands free" and you can use the bigger size cases. However, it will be checked into the hold.
    Author
    Thanks all. I have decided to book hands free
    just flex return from Belfast to Newcastle with them. They did not weigh or measure any luggage at all. Backpacks were reasonable within the new set of requirements, so that may be the reason.
    alison198910/09/2021 12:01

Thanks all. I have decided to book hands free

It is not in the interest of staff to allow oversized luggage as they then have to find room in the overhead lockers for them. It may be agency staff at the gate and they can be paid a bonus for 'catching out' oversized luggage. I've seen people hacking at the wheels on their cabin luggage with a shoe. £25 Easyjet is cheap compared to Ryanair. It's just not worth the hassle - you're wise.
    I was on Ryanair recently and it seems if you're discreet then should be ok. We only got pulled on the way back because we were stood at the front of the queue in the non-priority with our bags so they asked us if we were in the correct queue and after checking our boarding pass charged us about £80 for 2 small suitcases. Loads of people went on with multiple bags when shouldn't have.
    I flew out from Luton just over a week ago and I bought the correct size cabin, I looked around and there were loads of ppl with much bigger bags compared to my tiny 45cm x 36cm x 20cm and nobody was stopped going there or coming back.
    Having said that it’s probably not worth the risk and I think it also depends on which airport you’re at.

Edit, another thing is I’m hearing they are short staffed in the baggage area at airports so if you got a taxi then don’t call them till you got your bags. ( it happened to us ). (edited)
's avatar