Argos faulty Samsung TV advice

Posted 25th Aug 2023
Hey guys! I will keep this as short as possible!

After 18 months, my Samsung TV bought from Argos clapped out. I sent them an engineers report stating it was a manufacturing fault, and they are refunding the report cost and have advised I can take the TV into my local Argos for a 'pro rata refund'.

This is where I need some advice, as Which? Consumer Rights have advised:

"As you (Argos) are in breach of contract and I've owned the product between 6 months and 6 years, I am within my statutory rights to ask for it to be refunded."

This sentence implies I can get a full refund, unyet Argos said over the phone it will be a pro rata.

Can you guys offer any advice or past experience?

-Chris
Community Updates
New Comment

20 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    SaturdayGigs
    The Consumer Rights Act 2015 is your friend here.

In summary, the TV should last a reasonable length of time. For electrical appliances like TVs the courts usually look at that as six years. In the event that the TV breaks down before then, the retailer has two options.

Repair or replace the item. This must be done in a reasonable period of time, typically 28 days.

Offer a full or partial refund. The partial refund may be based on how much use you had from the TV, so if it failed a little less than 3 years after you bought it and the expected lifespan is 6 years, you might expect more than 50% of the purchase price to be refunded.
    Anonymous User
    How exactly would they work out a pro rata refund?
    SaturdayGigs
    Length of time owned against 6 year life span possibly
    AndyRoyd
    Samdung only manufacture premium devices apparently,
    and it would be reasonable to expect a premium consumer device used in a consumer environment to have premium durability well-beyond the completely unrelated 6-years-to-present-a-claim period (5yrs Scotland).

The credible professional report would ideally have included the phrase:
    premature failure
    and included a professional opinion on the reasonable expected longevity of the prematurely failed rubbish had it not prematurely failed,
    which is part of the standard MO when progressing CRA claims against ignorant / arrogant merchants / credit providers.
    RETROCHRIS Author
    So are you saying I should be pushing for a full refund?
    SaturdayGigs
    Pro rata only
    RETROCHRIS Author
    Ok, so if it was £600 and clapped out after 18 months, I should be looking around the £400+ region? Strange that they said they would replace if possible (don't think they can, it's a 2021 model), but would only partially refund.
    SaturdayGigs
    They would normally either repair or possibly offer same or better TV.
    RETROCHRIS Author
    Delighted to say that the assistant at Argos gave me a full refund, and the engineer report cost had already been refunded. Top marks for Argos! Although I’ll never buy a Samsung TV again.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants