Barbie Introduces its First Doll With Down Syndrome

Posted 27th Apr 2023
I absolutely love this! Barbie has launched its first-ever doll with Down's syndrome, and personally, I think they've done a really good job!

Mattel's goal is "to enable all children to see themselves in Barbie, while also encouraging children to play with dolls who do not look like themselves."

British model, Ellie Goldstein helped launch the new Barbie doll and gives her thoughts in the video below:

Mattel collaborated with the National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS) in the US to create a doll that would better represent women who have Down's syndrome. The doll's physical attributes include a smaller height, a longer torso, and features that are typically associated with Down's syndrome.

There's some nice subtle touches to her outfit such as the butterflies and the blue and yellow colour palette - both symbols which represents Down syndrome awareness 💙💛

The pink pendant necklace worn by the doll features three arrows, which signifies the three copies of the 21st chromosome that individuals with Down's syndrome possess. This necklace also serves as a symbol for "the lucky few," representing those who have someone in their life with Down's syndrome

4126751_1.jpg
Kandi Pickard, the NDSS president and chief executive said “It was an honour working with Barbie on the Barbie doll with Down’s syndrome. This means so much for our community, who for the first time can play with a Barbie doll that looks like them. This Barbie serves as a reminder that we should never underestimate the power of representation. It is a huge step forward for inclusion and a moment that we are celebrating.”

4126751_1.jpg
Mattel launched the new doll as part of its inclusive Fashionistas range, which includes dolls who use wheelchairs, prosthetic limbs, and hearing aids... designed to reflect the world around us as it really is

If you're on the lookout for the doll, you canpre-order it on Amazon for £13.99 (couldn't see it anywhere else right now)

4126751_1.jpg
Lisa McKnight, the Executive Vice President and Global Head of Barbie & Dolls, Mattel says

'Doll play outside of a child’s own lived experience can teach understanding and build a greater sense of empathy, leading to a more accepting world. We are proud to introduce a Barbie doll with Down syndrome to better reflect the world around us and further our commitment to celebrating inclusion through play,' she added.

The Barbie brand is far from perfect, but it looks like they are taking steps in the right direction! Representation is important for both children and adults, and dolls like this are a great way to enable more children to feel represented during playtime.

(Please take the time to watch the videos) ❤️
Community Updates
New Comment

29 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    MonkeyMan90
    Well done Mattel. Anybody that buys a doll should be able to have one that represents them for role play.
    joestevens67
    Fantastic news 👏👏
    ultimanthem101
    Mattel's goal is "to enable all children to see themselves in Barbie, while also encouraging children to play with dolls who do not look like themselves."

Will they do a chubby blind guy with alopecia so my nephew can feel a little more involved
    Fizzer
    that sounds like a bit of a paradox.
    toz
    My respect to Mattel 👌
    Scrooge_McDuck
    Still waiting for the overweight middle aged bloke in Tesco jeans, stained t-shirt and Regatta fleece version of Ken. I feel excluded.
    Spiritjambo
    Blimey...that description was scarily accurate for me too.
    Minus the T-shirt stain... I have to have some standards!

Reduced Regatta clothes from Millets/Blacks is a standard! (edited)
    BenjaminDover99
    What better example could anyone want to base this doll on than Ellie Goldstein?
    Statistically it might do, but other than gender this doll visibly seems to share no obvious characteristics with her or any other female with Down's I've ever seen.
    Great idea but must try harder Mattel - how about making an Ellie doll that looks more like Ellie and less like Angelina Jolie?
    Misty-Gorilla
    I understand your point regarding shared characteristics but I think Ellie and other people with down syndrome should be the judge.

It sounds like you're trying to be supportive but your terminology is outdated, here's a helpful link: globaldownsyndrome.org/abo…rt/

See section 'people first language' (edited)
    Willy_Wonka
    Can't tell any different.

Excellent PR job!
    Sylar2023
    Link please?
    sreenireddy
    i dont get it , i cant see how this barbie is down syndrome, looks normal to me. If i really try all i can see is that maybe they made it a bit shorter? or the head slightly bigger? but maybe thats just the image sizing? maybe my eyes are going?
    booja
    Barbie hardly represents women well either... Anyway this is a good thing. Inclusion is important. (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants