Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Cutting off an usb plug question

Posted 11th May 2023
Can you cut off an usb plug from fairy lights and fit a normal 3 pin plug.
Asking for a friend, honestly.
The wires from the base of the usb plug came away and lights not working.
Only two wires to usb plug.
Just a thought.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    a666andy
    No, don't even think about it

Unless you wanna see them burn / melt / explode lol

Edit to explain a little, usb is 5v and your mains sockets are 240v (edited)
    baldybob Author
    It was a usb plug fitted into a three pin plug. Then plugged into a wall socket.
    Mclwrth
    You can buy replacement USB plugs, such as this and this. Probably much cheaper from AliExpress than Ebay.
    melted
    You might be able to connect it to a new 5v USB plug, but it depends, some fairy lights have a controller chip in their plug which communicates over the two power wires to "smart" rgb leds with integrated chips.

So you need to work out if it is just a standard usb plug, or not, or if it contains a chip, power regulator, or resistor. (edited)
    richp
    you want your hair to stand on end when you plug that in, cause that's how you get your....... Oh wait. (edited)
    baldybob Author
    Not a problem anymore.
    aLV426
    Can you cut off an usb plug from fairy lights and fit a normal 3 pin plug. - erm, yes, yes I can. Do I want to? No? Would it be safe? Probably not....

You have provided insufficient detail for us to provide a realistic answer.
    baldybob Author
    Cheers guys.
    I'll buy her a new set.....

....but keep the spare plug.
    bob-mk2
    In all honesty, it is probably the easiest method and one that is most likely to succeed.
    richp
    This brings back memories when I was a kid, I had an old 9v walkie talkie, battery went flat, so I ripped the battery plug off, bared the wires & shoved them into a figure of 8 power lead........ Just to say pants were soiled that day
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants