Double glazing

Posted 8th May 2023
is it the best time to buy DG??? Will prices go up or down??? what should I be looking for and what questions should I be asking?? thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

15 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    thepostie
    Find a decent local firm. Managed to get a cash deal with someone I know locally who has his own shop. Got a new velux and a double bedroom window done for £1,700 installed although this was a year ago. (edited)
    iCrazyCarrots
    In my first house I had windows and door installed by a big company. They were absolutely spot on. For my second house I used a local company and the windows and door are shockingly bad. My friend on the other hand used a different big company for his front door and had nothing but problems.
    Get as many recommendations as you can before you make any decisions
    JimboParrot
    It is funny how experiences differ - usually it is the smaller companies that are better, but possibly not a one man band outfit? I guess a company is only as good as the product and their best fitter!
    iCrazyCarrots
    Fitting UPVC windows (maybe not the doors) looks to be a relatively easy job for a competent diyer? Has anyone fitted their own?
    PaulandPam
    Yes as you say it's an easy job for a competent diy'er both doors and windows (bay windows are more tricky though)
    Many years ago me and my wife packed in smoking and every day without fail we put our saved money into a tin, 12 months later we used that saved cash to buy and I installed the new double glazed windows through the entire house.
    Frames and double glazed glass units are surprisingly cheap when bought from a local manufacturer supply only. (edited)
    airfix
    First take a look at the window they offer, some are thin and flimsy looking, some have awful hinges on doors, sfs hinges are the best, if you want a real nice look maybe flush windows? But they cost a bit more. Colours are a bit more too. There are usually two different frame sizes, for a new build go bigger for he plasterboard dot n dab. Big bi folds are best aluminium, front door go composite but not solidor they warp. VEKA is a great product  (edited)
    JimboParrot
    Ask around your neighbours for recommendations. Try and get a local independent firm rather than one of the big companies and don't fall for the .....£x,000 but tonight after contacting my office it will be £y,000...'
    jameshothothot
    i used to work for a double glazing company when 18. We were told could make any offer up we wanted to and the sales force would just accordingly!
    stu1991
    We've just had all ours done by a self employed builder (13 windows and 2 doors supplied and fitted for £7.8k) and we can't fault them. I should imagine i would have paid more if i had gone with one of the bigger companies
    themorgatron
    Triple glazing is a minimum now surely?
    airfix
    It’s heavier and puts more strain on hinges etc
    innocent
    Would be useful if people comment about grants etc which may be available.
    JimboParrot
    Why don't you then?
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants