Ebay - Why is seller being awkward?

Posted 23rd Sep 2021
I'll keep it brief!

11/09 - Bought an item, asked when I could collect and if they'd prefer cash

12/09 - paid with paypal, left message asking when I could collect, said can do weekend only due to distance but was in the area that day. They replied in the early evening saying to come, but I was over an hour away again by that point. Arranged to collect the next weekend.

15/09 - Asked for postcode, no answer
17/09 - Asked again, and if Sunday was still OK. No answer
20/09 - Asked for a refund as they obviously don't want to sell it. No answer
23/09 - Put in an ebay dispute, immediate answer, arguing that I'm lying about sending money and I'm a scammer, and saying they wouldn't reply til they'd got my money?

Now I'm confused, I just want my money back, I don't care that they're refusing to sell the item I don't even want it off them now TBH, but it's a travel system for my soon to be born son and I need to get another. I have transaction IDs, I have the paypal invoice, ebay will obviously find in my favour once they can be bothered to review it, so I don't understand why they don't just cancel the sale? They don't even have the money yet I don't think, as I never gave them the paypal code for collection?

I just can't get my head round why they're being argumentative, when the end result will be the same, they get to keep the item they didn't want to sell me anyway and I get a refund?
Community Updates
New Comment

31 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Probably best that this sale doesn't happen. Depending on how complete the travel system is, mainly if it includes a used car seat, I'd avoid.

It's advised to never entertain buying a used car seat as you don't know the history behind it.

Apart from that, the seller is probably just having a bad day... Or several bad days
    Cease talking to seller. Open claim, escalate claim as soon as you can, then let it progress to refund. Takes time.

In future open claim as soon as sellers don't respond in a timely manner. Life's too short to stress about things out of your control.
    Might sound daft, but perhaps they simply don't understand how selling on ebay works, or paypal for that matter and were expecting to get the money before you collect!
    andynicol23/09/2021 21:43

eBay should not allow Paypal as a payment method when an item is …eBay should not allow Paypal as a payment method when an item is collection only IMO, as earlier, if the buyer collects then raises a claim eBay will always side with the buyer as the seller can't provide proof of collection.Possibly ; the item was no longer available, sold elsewhere/faulty (can happen - it happened with me, sold an item and on final testing of it before posting, it was faulty, got a very good price for it too and was gutted but hey ho)the item sold for less than the buyer wanted?However, you will get your payment refunded 100%.Going forward, if an item is collection only, I'd always wait for the seller to respond before making any payment, you may find you get it slightly cheaper as well paying cash on collection if both parties are agreeable to cancelling the sale on eBay after the exchange is made.... (this is depending entirely on the item in question of course as you wouldn't have any comeback should there be a problem arising in the future with said item)

This hasnt been the case for collection items for over a year now. Pay by paypal and choose collection. Paypal give you a code. When you collect give code to seller, they give you item, seller inputs code and gets money. eBay show item as collected. Much better these days. (edited)
    Author
    melted23/09/2021 18:50

Might sound daft, but perhaps they simply don't understand how selling on …Might sound daft, but perhaps they simply don't understand how selling on ebay works, or paypal for that matter and were expecting to get the money before you collect!

I did wonder that, but why stop responding to me for 11 days, then responded within 2 hours of me starting the ebay dispute - if there was an issue just replying would have sorted it. From what they've said so far in the dispute resolution though it looks like they read all my messages and ignored them, and have no intention of giving me the item, they're just arguing that I said I sent them money and haven't?

They don't want to sell it to me, I no longer want it, can't they just cancel the sale or say it wasn't collected? Guess I need to wait for ebay to step in now.
    As an experienced eBayer (currently 100% feeback with 50/50 buying and selling) and a member for 20 years I've lots crazy stories. Please don't let it bother you further or escalate into what could be a more difficult situation. Put in a PP claim and let it go as you have reached loggerheads and there will need to be proof that you actually picked it up or received it. By the sounds of it that cannot be provided by the seller and eBay will have all the history of your messages should a case be required. I agree with the previous HUKD member, it could be a really bad time for the seller so don't judge too much and move on (edited)
    just open a ebay case, with you paying via paypal their should be no problems getting a refund but it will take weeks.
    Some times PP do hold money before realising to seller. That could be the reason?
    tek-monkey23/09/2021 18:56

I did wonder that, but why stop responding to me for 11 days, then …I did wonder that, but why stop responding to me for 11 days, then responded within 2 hours of me starting the ebay dispute - if there was an issue just replying would have sorted it. From what they've said so far in the dispute resolution though it looks like they read all my messages and ignored them, and have no intention of giving me the item, they're just arguing that I said I sent them money and haven't?They don't want to sell it to me, I no longer want it, can't they just cancel the sale or say it wasn't collected? Guess I need to wait for ebay to step in now.

ebay will be able to see that you payed via paypal. also all your messages will be seen by the person dealing with your ebay case. so all the times you have made contact but had no reply that will all be seen. all this will go in your favour.
    the trouble is its a slow process. this has happend to me many times over the 18 years i have been on ebay.
    No idea why the seller didn't respond to your messages but I'd guess they didn't want you to collect the item as you'd paid via PayPal you could have raised a non-receipt claim after collection, and you would have won as the seller couldn't prove you had the item.

You should have waited on the sellers response to your request to pay cash on collection before you proceeded with the Paypal payment IMO.

Did the seller not offer postage in the listing, can't you simply get them to despatch the item? If not you'll get your money back, eBay will 100% side with you.
    deleted234448023/09/2021 21:54

This hasnt been the case for collection items for over a year now. Pay by …This hasnt been the case for collection items for over a year now. Pay by paypal and choose collection. Paypal give you a code. When you collect give code to seller, they give you item, seller inputs code and gets money. eBay show item as collected. Much better these days.

My bad, wasn’t aware that was implemented.
    After trading on Ebay for nearly 20 years I have come to the simple conclusion that a small percentage of buyers/sellers have mental health issues. If you are unluckily enough to get involved with one of these it can turn into a nightmare. (edited)
    It’s eBay Your the buyer you have nothing to worry about!
    The world is full of interesting people don’t loose any sleep over it
    Author
    HellRazer23/09/2021 18:19

Probably best that this sale doesn't happen. Depending on how complete the …Probably best that this sale doesn't happen. Depending on how complete the travel system is, mainly if it includes a used car seat, I'd avoid.It's advised to never entertain buying a used car seat as you don't know the history behind it.Apart from that, the seller is probably just having a bad day... Or several bad days

It did have a car seat, but it was the isofix base I wanted as it fits the other car seat we have. I don't even need the rest of it, I have got one elsewhere now, but the base was worth the price I was paying for the rest of the stuff.
    Author
    bargainhunter123/09/2021 18:48

Some times PP do hold money before realising to seller. That could be the …Some times PP do hold money before realising to seller. That could be the reason?

Yeah, you get a code to give the seller when you collect before they get the money. That way they can't keep it and pretend you collected it.
    Author
    andynicol23/09/2021 19:24

No idea why the seller didn't respond to your messages but I'd guess they …No idea why the seller didn't respond to your messages but I'd guess they didn't want you to collect the item as you'd paid via PayPal you could have raised a non-receipt claim after collection, and you would have won as the seller couldn't prove you had the item.You should have waited on the sellers response to your request to pay cash on collection before you proceeded with the Paypal payment IMO.Did the seller not offer postage in the listing, can't you simply get them to despatch the item? If not you'll get your money back, eBay will 100% side with you.

Didn't offer postage, was collection only, and they offered PayPal as an option? I didn't get a response about how they'd prefer payment til after I'd sent the PayPal, which I did because I always pay within 24 hours of winning or at least arrange it if different.

Seller is now trying to blame it on 'something went wrong with ebay', but at no point has offered the item. I suspect they sold it for more elsewhere.
    HellRazer23/09/2021 18:19

Apart from that, the seller is probably just having a bad day... Or …Apart from that, the seller is probably just having a bad day... Or several bad days

That's nothing, I once ordered an item, then seller cancelled a day later for no apparent reason. Later that day I received a message saying they would "blow torch my eyes out and they had a friend who could find me"
    I replied saying I think you have the wrong person Must have been a seriously bad day

Funny his friend who could "find me".. as the seller he already had my name and address.. so his friend was hardly a CIA level investigator
    Payments sometimes held for a week
    Author
    Case is open, they are now responding to me outside the case but inside ebay? I've told them I'll let ebay sort it.
    tek-monkey23/09/2021 20:10

Didn't offer postage, was collection only, and they offered PayPal as an …Didn't offer postage, was collection only, and they offered PayPal as an option? I didn't get a response about how they'd prefer payment til after I'd sent the PayPal, which I did because I always pay within 24 hours of winning or at least arrange it if different. Seller is now trying to blame it on 'something went wrong with ebay', but at no point has offered the item. I suspect they sold it for more elsewhere.

eBay should not allow Paypal as a payment method when an item is collection only IMO, as earlier, if the buyer collects then raises a claim eBay will always side with the buyer as the seller can't provide proof of collection.

Possibly ;

the item was no longer available, sold elsewhere/faulty (can happen - it happened with me, sold an item and on final testing of it before posting, it was faulty, got a very good price for it too and was gutted but hey ho)

the item sold for less than the buyer wanted?

However, you will get your payment refunded 100%.

Going forward, if an item is collection only, I'd always wait for the seller to respond before making any payment, you may find you get it slightly cheaper as well paying cash on collection if both parties are agreeable to cancelling the sale on eBay after the exchange is made.... (this is depending entirely on the item in question of course as you wouldn't have any comeback should there be a problem arising in the future with said item) (edited)
    Author

eBay should not allow Paypal as a payment method when an item is …eBay should not allow Paypal as a payment method when an item is collection only IMO, as earlier, if the buyer collects then raises a claim eBay will always side with the buyer as the seller can't provide proof of collection.Possibly ; the item was no longer available, sold elsewhere/faulty (can happen - it happened with me, sold an item and on final testing of it before posting, it was faulty, got a very good price for it too and was gutted but hey ho)the item sold for less than the buyer wanted?However, you will get your payment refunded 100%.Going forward, if an item is collection only, I'd always wait for the seller to respond before making any payment, you may find you get it slightly cheaper as well paying cash on collection if both parties are agreeable to cancelling the sale on eBay after the exchange is made.... (this is depending entirely on the item in question of course as you wouldn't have any comeback should there be a problem arising in the future with said item)

You get given a code when an item is for collection, you give that code to the seller when you pick up, and that tells paypal that you have been there so they release the funds (but they take them off you at point of purchase not collection, and hold them). This stops the situation you're talking about, I'd imagine if you give them the collection code then say you haven't had the item paypal wouldn't side with you? They give it as a qr code if they use the paypal app, they just scan it, but there is a numerical code as well. I've picked up a few baby things recently, and only one wanted cash the rest all wanted paypal.

I wouldn't care if they sold it elsewhere at this point, I just want my money back, but as long as ebay think it's waiting for collection paypal hold onto it. If they don't have my money, and know they won't get it anyway, I just can't work out why they don't cancel the sale when it's clear they won't give me the item? Instead I now need to wait for ebay to intervene and that appears to take up to a week, I can't find any way to contact them that isn't automated.
    tek-monkey23/09/2021 22:05

You get given a code when an item is for collection, you give that code to …You get given a code when an item is for collection, you give that code to the seller when you pick up, and that tells paypal that you have been there so they release the funds (but they take them off you at point of purchase not collection, and hold them). This stops the situation you're talking about, I'd imagine if you give them the collection code then say you haven't had the item paypal wouldn't side with you? They give it as a qr code if they use the paypal app, they just scan it, but there is a numerical code as well. I've picked up a few baby things recently, and only one wanted cash the rest all wanted paypal.I wouldn't care if they sold it elsewhere at this point, I just want my money back, but as long as ebay think it's waiting for collection paypal hold onto it. If they don't have my money, and know they won't get it anyway, I just can't work out why they don't cancel the sale when it's clear they won't give me the item? Instead I now need to wait for ebay to intervene and that appears to take up to a week, I can't find any way to contact them that isn't automated.

You will 100% get a full refund, the claims/refund/escalation process on eBay is a joke really.
    andynicol23/09/2021 22:54

My bad, wasn’t aware that was implemented.

I've read a buyer can do a successful item not as described claim for a collected item if they've paid through ebay using paypal etc, but can't if they pay in cash on collection. So if I was selling something valuable, or that might only be needed by the buyer for a few months, collect only, I'd be reluctant to go through with the sale if not paid in cash. (edited)
    I wasn't aware PayPal now offered an escrow type of service for collection but it's about time they did.

When I was a regular seller on eBay I would NEVER entertain PayPal if people were collecting. If the buyer insisted on paying via PayPal and then collecting then that was always a red flag for me. Reason being more often than not buyer would pay via PayPal and then somewhere down the line the payment would be reversed because it would later transpire the funds were sent from a hacked PayPal account and I'd be out of pocket because I couldn't provide a tracking number to PayPal. That or they would try to send me a fake PayPal email showing they'd paid me when they hadn't.

I wouldn't risk doing the cancel the sale trick, I did it (was only for a £20 kids bike) eBay charged me the fvf and gave me a warning, so it's prob not worth it.
    As a seller who's sold thousands of items on eBay, it seems to me like you're more at fault here. I've personally been scammed once where the person paid via PayPal, messaged to ask for collection then literally a minute after taking it, opened an unauthorized payment claim on PayPal which went in their favour since there was no tracking number to back up the sale. It's possible, depending on the value of the item, that the funds are on hold for them until a tracking number is provided and delivery is confirmed - PayPal is sometimes tricky this way. Someone with the lack of knowledge of how PayPal/eBay works could 100% feel like they're being scammed.

Also, surely the seller had the "cash on collection" option selected for their item - why didn't you just use that option and pay in person? Online payment, whether it be a credit card checkout or PayPal, is an absolute no-go when collecting items. If there's ever a situation where the buyer has paid via eBay and asks for collection after the fact, I don't let them walk away without giving me positive feedback on eBay first in case they try and pull a fast one with PayPal or their CC company in the future. In most cases, I simply tell them that eBay won't release the funds to me without confirmed tracking (which is true) and they're happy to oblige and wait for postage.

Seems like a crappy situation, but you really shouldn't have paid online if you were picking up in person.
    Author
    nutellaaa24/09/2021 11:22

As a seller who's sold thousands of items on eBay, it seems to me like …As a seller who's sold thousands of items on eBay, it seems to me like you're more at fault here. I've personally been scammed once where the person paid via PayPal, messaged to ask for collection then literally a minute after taking it, opened an unauthorized payment claim on PayPal which went in their favour since there was no tracking number to back up the sale. It's possible, depending on the value of the item, that the funds are on hold for them until a tracking number is provided and delivery is confirmed - PayPal is sometimes tricky this way. Someone with the lack of knowledge of how PayPal/eBay works could 100% feel like they're being scammed.Also, surely the seller had the "cash on collection" option selected for their item - why didn't you just use that option and pay in person? Online payment, whether it be a credit card checkout or PayPal, is an absolute no-go when collecting items. If there's ever a situation where the buyer has paid via eBay and asks for collection after the fact, I don't let them walk away without giving me positive feedback on eBay first in case they try and pull a fast one with PayPal or their CC company in the future. In most cases, I simply tell them that eBay won't release the funds to me without confirmed tracking (which is true) and they're happy to oblige and wait for postage.Seems like a crappy situation, but you really shouldn't have paid online if you were picking up in person.

Paypal give you a code that you give to the seller, that releases their funds. Surely that backs up your claim they collected it, as how else would you have the code?

Plus they didn't even have cash on collection as an option, I just offered as I was going there. Just checked again:
    45664456-fnt0z.jpg
    Mr.Plow24/09/2021 10:49

I wouldn't risk doing the cancel the sale trick, I did it (was only for a …I wouldn't risk doing the cancel the sale trick, I did it (was only for a £20 kids bike) eBay charged me the fvf and gave me a warning, so it's prob not worth it.

Same thing happened to me . Ebay more or less said to me ‘ don’t think we’re daft- we can see your messages’
    If I were the seller here I would not let you pay via paypal for an item that is for collection. Remember that ebay handles payments now not paypal for the seller. So the seller will have not seen the payment yet (either ebay are sitting on it or paypal are holding till the code is given) so if they are inexperienced I can see why they think you might be trying to scam them saying you've paid (which you have) but, they haven't seen the money yet.
    As others have said just move on. It's not worth time and effort fretting about these things. In future when buying an item for collection only message the seller prior to purchase to see how they would prefer payment. Good luck!
    Bilbo196825/09/2021 12:12

After trading on Ebay for nearly 20 years I have come to the simple …After trading on Ebay for nearly 20 years I have come to the simple conclusion that a small percentage of buyers/sellers have mental health issues. If you are unluckily enough to get involved with one of these it can turn into a nightmare.

“a small percentage of buyers/sellers have mental health issues”

Is that it ????
    lol
    I had to deal with a guy which forced me to call him to get his address. He didn't want to give me details by ebay for no reason as ebay already had his address. I googled him and apparently, he was "somebody" (kind of business owner or whatever).
    I bet he still believe I scammed him He sold me a washing machine full of black paint and he didn't tell me about it and he had to fully refund me. The delivery cost me £40 and the guy was so surprised I was angry about it.

So much conspiracy and he still blamed me for wasting his time.

The best were faces of that 2 guys which I had to hired to deliver washing machine and tumble drier - I bet he told them so many lies about me.

Obviously, I didn't want to throw that washing machine away and I used in it a lot of chemicals to clean it, I had to setup pressure switch to let it take more water (guy tried to colour pants in super eco machine which used like bucket of water for whole washing and all paint stayed inside )
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants