Gaming PC for top end emulation i.e. PS3, Wii U and Switch

Posted 6th Nov 2021
PC Components credit to AirSeller for their input, looking for more opinions / suggestions.

Hopefully the below helps and feedback would be grateful for the PC parts too

1. What will you be doing with this PC?

- Looking to emulate games mainly Dreamcast, GameCube, N64, Wii, Wii U, PS2, PS3 and Nintendo Switch. Where possible for the emulators to be able to run at minimum 60 FPS - I'm aware it's easy on some games, but say Skate 3 on the PS3 or BOTW on the Wii U can be difficult and or costly, otherwise 30 FPS smoothly.

Also generic use i.e. Web Browsing, emails, streaming up to 4k using YouTube, Netflix, Disney Plus etc... where possible, will be connected to a Samsung 4K TV that can handle at least 1440p at 120hz.

2. What is your maximum budget before rebates/shipping/taxes?

< £600

- I would like something as cheap as possible, example Xbox Series S is £250 and can do most of the above, but from what I know there are no emulators for the Wii U, Switch and PS3 where using RetroArch via Xbox.

3. When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

- If possible within 2 weeks time dependant on my budget ask / requirements

4. What, exactly, do you need included in the budget?

- Something in size similar to Xbox Series X, dependant if the budget allows.

- Windows OS

- Keyboard and Mouse, nothing fancy as will use an Xbox controller for gaming

5. Which country (and state/province) will you be purchasing the parts in?

- UK

6. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?

- I have nothing, starting from scratch.

7. Will you be overclocking?

- No, I'm assuming my tasks are not that demanding.

8. Are there any specific features or items you want/need in the build?

- 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM, HDMI Port, USB Type C, USB 3.xx, Ethernet Port, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth

9. Do you have any specific case preferences (Size like ITX/microATX/mid-tower/full-tower, styles, colors, window or not, LED lighting, etc), or a particular color theme preference for the components?

- Colour Black, a minimalistic look and just something cheap and functional.

10. Do you need a copy of Windows included in the budget? If you do need one included, do you have a preference?

- I'll just go with Windows Inactivated then work from there on what I want.

Many thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

38 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Sarden84
    EuroGamer15/11/2021 14:47

Many thanks for this feedback, really appreciate it.I'm highly likely …Many thanks for this feedback, really appreciate it.I'm highly likely going to use the PC for emulation mainly as opposed to AAA gaming as I use the Xbox (I have 2) for me and the Wife to play on.Many thanks for the reply and pointers....What do you mean by long term performance in point 2 please?- i.e. as the years go on the Intel will still be performing well as if it was new or some other terminology?The CiT Flash case you originally recommended was due to my Width max capacity being 200mm (have to have PC on it's side as per pic above) and it has been a right slog to find one that is either that size or slightly smaller.Also what do you mean by pre user -> 5600G way?

rather then go into it:

have a look into 5600G / 5600X so u understand what the G is.

and then compare the losses vs the fight of 5600x vs 11400f

when using a higher card.
    EuroGamer Author
    thanks for the feedback and will look into builds. (edited)
    Sarden84
    Personal i would knock the Motherboard back to the B450I version
    uk.pcpartpicker.com/pro…ifi

This would save you £50 + Wifi cost.

Complete agree with James on both parts so that would cover them statements.

--------------

Yup PSU is crazy money but its the cheapest current SFX on PCPP.
    ebay has a seasonic 300W for £55 and then a BQ SFX for £57 (one id get out the three)

sadly small PC's like this u pay the price.

---------------

As for the ram 3600mhz is the key, so type on here 3600mhz and take a look whats on offer at any given period, us users hunt ram down faster then fox hunters, so compare 16gb to 32gb cos 32gb are really good price at not much extra atm so its a consideration of 35 at times.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because ur going down the route of Small foam, there isnt much to jump off in suggestion then what james has covered, unless u happy to nip to MATX for a bigger build then u can certainly save or use the extra funds for a card as james says. (edited)
    aLV426
    For emulation at that level it is cheaper to buy the original hardware, personally I wouldn't waste a PC to emulate at that level as the emulation software still isn't perfect and no amount of PC hardware expenditure will compensate.
    If you really must build from scratch any PC build using this years hardware will be more than up for the task, £600 is plenty, the screen & GPU are probably the main parts to spend the most on!
    EuroGamer Author
    jameshothothot06/11/2021 10:32

Thanks Sarden. Yes...op you need to think how much you want the small …Thanks Sarden. Yes...op you need to think how much you want the small form factor as that is affecting things. If you were to go to a nice micro ATX case then things are cheaper. But if you want a console size of then it is more expensive..Can see the dilemma!

If a Micro ATX can fit within my TV unit then it doesn't need to be console size.

From bottom shelf to middle shelf or middle shelf to draw it's 20 cm in height.

Depth on the shelf 40 cm

Width 50 cm end of shelf to Xbox for example

Example pic below;

45996625-IT7DQ.jpg
    dxx
    aLV42606/11/2021 10:32

For emulation at that level it is cheaper to buy the original hardware, …For emulation at that level it is cheaper to buy the original hardware, personally I wouldn't waste a PC to emulate at that level as the emulation software still isn't perfect and no amount of PC hardware expenditure will compensate.If you really must build from scratch any PC build using this years hardware will be more than up for the task, £600 is plenty, the screen & GPU are probably the main parts to spend the most on!

I'd look at it the other way around - it's buying the original hardware that's a waste, because while you'll never get the 100% authentic experience and you'll always get the odd little quirk and bug with emulation, unless you're looking for that authentic purist experience, you're actually better wtih the UX that emulation provides.

With emulation, you can:

- Run whatever res you want. Wii games at 4K look so, so much better than at basic 480p, for example.

- Run CRT emulation to restore the visual fidelity lost with 90s games and LCD technology.

- Load games from SSD. No more disc or cart switching, no slow data loads, etc. You've got instant access to your titles.

- Save on software costs. ROMs for the 90s consoles are freely available online. ISOs of newer times are also freely available, from alternative sources.

- Use additional tweaks to further enhance the experience. You can overclock CPUs and additional processors, set games designed to run at 30Hz to run at 60Hz+, add texture filtering, AA, state-save savepoints, cheat codes, all sorts. You can totally open the whole experience up to modification and enhancements in a way that you just can't with old stock hardware.
    EuroGamer Author
    dxx06/11/2021 13:30

I'd look at it the other way around - it's buying the original hardware …I'd look at it the other way around - it's buying the original hardware that's a waste, because while you'll never get the 100% authentic experience and you'll always get the odd little quirk and bug with emulation, unless you're looking for that authentic purist experience, you're actually better wtih the UX that emulation provides. With emulation, you can:- Run whatever res you want. Wii games at 4K look so, so much better than at basic 480p, for example.- Run CRT emulation to restore the visual fidelity lost with 90s games and LCD technology. - Load games from SSD. No more disc or cart switching, no slow data loads, etc. You've got instant access to your titles. - Save on software costs. ROMs for the 90s consoles are freely available online. ISOs of newer times are also freely available, from alternative sources. - Use additional tweaks to further enhance the experience. You can overclock CPUs and additional processors, set games designed to run at 30Hz to run at 60Hz+, add texture filtering, AA, state-save savepoints, cheat codes, all sorts. You can totally open the whole experience up to modification and enhancements in a way that you just can't with old stock hardware.

This is why I'm wanting a PC to do this, as I don't have the space for multiple consoles either.
    jameshothothot
    EuroGamer06/11/2021 13:24

If a Micro ATX can fit within my TV unit then it doesn't need to be …If a Micro ATX can fit within my TV unit then it doesn't need to be console size.From bottom shelf to middle shelf or middle shelf to draw it's 20 cm in height.Depth on the shelf 40 cmWidth 50 cm end of shelf to Xbox for exampleExample pic below;[Image]

One thing need to think about is ventilation. This applies to consoles too. PCs normally draw air from the front and exhale it via the back or sometimes top. You can get different shape cases but you will want to make sure has fans able to get fresh air in and out for best performance. Though the 5600g is quite light on that regard thankfully.
    aLV426
    dxx06/11/2021 13:30

I'd look at it the other way around - it's buying the original hardware …I'd look at it the other way around - it's buying the original hardware that's a waste, because while you'll never get the 100% authentic experience and you'll always get the odd little quirk and bug with emulation, unless you're looking for that authentic purist experience, you're actually better wtih the UX that emulation provides. With emulation, you can:- Run whatever res you want. Wii games at 4K look so, so much better than at basic 480p, for example.- Run CRT emulation to restore the visual fidelity lost with 90s games and LCD technology. - Load games from SSD. No more disc or cart switching, no slow data loads, etc. You've got instant access to your titles. - Save on software costs. ROMs for the 90s consoles are freely available online. ISOs of newer times are also freely available, from alternative sources. - Use additional tweaks to further enhance the experience. You can overclock CPUs and additional processors, set games designed to run at 30Hz to run at 60Hz+, add texture filtering, AA, state-save savepoints, cheat codes, all sorts. You can totally open the whole experience up to modification and enhancements in a way that you just can't with old stock hardware.

Meh, also just because the games are old does mean they are free - not all ROMs are in the public domain. A lot of games & consoles relied on CRTs to forgive the graphic shortcomings which will show up on modern LCDs & 4K screens.
    The older console emulation can be done quite well on any PC capable of running Windows 10. It's the Wii U, Switch & PS3 that need the extra grunt. None of those ROMs are freely available and the emulation is still not perfect even if you throw £2000 at the PC. I do own a lot of games and way to many examples of hardware (I even 2, yes 2 Vectrex units!). So perhaps I am a little bias towards emulation and I understand the desire for instant (or at least quicker than the original) load times.
    Bossworld
    jameshothothot06/11/2021 18:20

What CPU do you have? My son runs on a gtx 970 and and ryzen 5 2600. Yuzu …What CPU do you have? My son runs on a gtx 970 and and ryzen 5 2600. Yuzu has gotten much better over the past year for multi core and supporting vulkan as well as opengl which helps with AMD (though your 2060 should do very well). Ryujinx is worse for some games and better for others. But I find upscaling kills some games on ryujinx so native is best. It takes time to build shader cache but that is faster now.

Ryzen 5 3600. My version of YuZu is possibly out of date, my daughter got most of the way through Mario Odyssey on it but there were a few moments along the way where it was unplayable.

We’ve still got a Wii U so didn’t feel much incentive to get a Switch just for one Mario game (feels a recurring story since the GameCube).
    jameshothothot
    EuroGamer06/11/2021 23:21

Apologies for being simple here as I'm clueless with this …Apologies for being simple here as I'm clueless with this stuff...@sarden84 @jameshothothot Can someone summarise what I need for a PC build that can emulate smoothly (understand emulation is not perfect) PS3, Wii U and Switch games even if it exceeds £600 please?- Preferably at 60fps and at 1080p on the emulated games, again I understand emulation can be different from game to game. - Does not need to be SFF, Micro ATX should be fine.For example listed like the below, but with a Case PSU etc...- R5 3600- 16gb DDR4 3200 mhz RAM- NVidia GTX 1060- 256gb nvme m.2 ssd + 1 TB hddI'm very sceptical with AliExpress / Banggood PC builds that claim to play PS3, Wi U titles etc... Many thanks.

Hi. Would this computer fit for you in your space? Sarden has posted an excellent deal hrere:
    hotukdeals.com/dea…182

Otherwise in terms of case.. any micro atx will do
    Cases are determined by motherboard size (ITX smallest, micro atx next, full-size atx next)
    If you have a particularly beefy graphics card then some smaller micro atx cards won't fit, but don't think will be a problem for you.

Going on the rspc3 site

rpcs3.net/qui…art

then as you suggest a ryzen 5 3600 is recommended

I have the previous gen ryzen 7 2700 and haven't tested RSPC3

my experience of emulators is that they're not GPU intensive - just CPU intensive

so as it says, any 900 nvidia card would work.

A 1650 sarden posted would work as would the 1060 you suggested
    an older 970 would work too

it recommends 8gb of dual channel ram ie 2x4 gb sticks not 1x8gb stick

but my experience suggests you need 16gb as otherwise windows will use your hard drive for memory and slow things down
    it doesn't recommend a speed. I have 3200mhz ram I think 3600mhz is more common now. As per hardware unboxed on youtube, just get the best price performance. eg if was £55 for 3200 and £60 for 3600 and £80 for 4000 then you might go for 3600 speed as only a small extra cost.

it is advisable to have an SSD and a hard drive combination. one for windows, one for games

I don't have an nvme myself, just old fashioned SATA SSD and SATA HDD but that is the way to go as you suggest

In terms of a PSU... I would recommend a branded 500 or 550w PSU to allow you to expand in the future

let me have a quick look on amazon which is where I tend to buy my stuff

at the cheaper end these W1 EVGA get grief from purists wanting to run high powered stuff but for your needs would be great
    amazon.co.uk/EVG…8-8

if you wanted something approved by others
    amazon.co.uk/Cor…h=1

is more expensive but would later on be able to power a 3070 easily

cases are up to you
    amazon.co.uk/s?k…s_2

is all micro atx cases search on amazon

i did look for horizontal ones
    but i am not 100% on your measurements as i skipped that - i'm more into the chips and software side of things

what I do know is that small form factor pcs will require special half-height graphics cards

and so IF the PC that Sarden posted fits for you I would just get that

hope this helps somewhat!

I know it can be nervous - Sarden helped me a long time ago.
    EuroGamer Author
    jameshothothot07/11/2021 09:41

on emulation - different games will work better as you sayand i have an …on emulation - different games will work better as you sayand i have an older 8 core 16 thread cpu (2700) vs newer 6 core 12 thread where the single thread is better (3600)so youtube is your friendBUT I would recommend only looking at recent youtube videos as the emulators get better every monththat said - this guy is one of my fave youtubers and has a LOW PROFILE 1650+3600 set up and has RSPC3 at the enda year old but i love this guys channel[Video]

ETA Prime I had a feeling it would be him... I have been checking out his stuff lately, but not seen that one yet...

Thanks for the reply
    Sarden84
    EuroGamer15/11/2021 13:59

@sarden84 @jameshothothot Any issues you could help point out on the below …@sarden84 @jameshothothot Any issues you could help point out on the below 2 PC setups please?I'm leaning towards AMD as I know it is a very capable CPU + iGPU for my needs with emulation and the price is under the £600 I stated, plus if I decide to add a GPU later when prices return to normal then I have that choice too.AMD PC- CPU + iGPU - £230 Ryzen 5600G- Case - £49.99 CiT Flash ARGB PC Gaming Case, M-ATX- MoBo (AMD) - £59.99 Asus Prime B450M-A II Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard- BT Adapter - £10- RAM - £65 approx 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz- PSU - £39.99 Evga 600 W1, 80+ White 600W, Power Supply 100-W1-0600-K3- SSD - £30 for 256GB SSD- HDD - £45 for 2TB 2.5" HDD WD Blue- OS - Will use Windows Inactivated temporarily Total for the above £529.97Intel PC- CPU - £149.99 i7-11400F- Case - £49.99 CiT Flash ARGB PC Gaming Case, M-ATX- MoBo - £104.59 (for Intel CPU) Asus PRIME B560M-A Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard- BT Adapter - £10- GPU - £229.99 Palit | GeForce GTX 1650 4GB- PSU - £39.99 Evga 600 W1, 80+ White 600W, Power Supply 100-W1-0600-K3- RAM - £65 approx 3200mhz - SSD - £30 for 256GB SSD- HDD - £45 for 2TB 2.5" HDD WD Blue- OS - Will use Windows Inactivated temporarily Total for the above £714.55

if Going Ryzen:

5600G + B550M isnt bad and isnt to far off and also check any b550 deals what might come.
    as for the B450 then look into this MSI VDH

Cit flash is a budget case which is nice, but for self builders its gone up in price and if ur paying that u can do so much better on other lines. - have a check whats on hotukdeals but also have a peak at Aerocool Aero One Mini

if ur going intel id go MSI B560 VDH

500Gb nvme here

16gb 3200mhz ram here

Corsair 650W mod

so afew corrections

@sarden84 @jameshothothot Any issues you could help point out on the below …@sarden84 @jameshothothot Any issues you could help point out on the below 2 PC setups please?I'm leaning towards AMD as I know it is a very capable CPU + iGPU for my needs with emulation and the price is under the £600 I stated, plus if I decide to add a GPU later when prices return to normal then I have that choice too.AMD PC- CPU + iGPU - £230 Ryzen 5600G- Case - £49.99 CiT Flash ARGB PC Gaming Case, M-ATX- MoBo (AMD) - £59.99 Asus Prime B450M-A II Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard- BT Adapter - £10- RAM - £65 approx 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz- PSU - £39.99 Evga 600 W1, 80+ White 600W, Power Supply 100-W1-0600-K3- SSD - £30 for 256GB SSD- HDD - £45 for 2TB 2.5" HDD WD Blue- OS - Will use Windows Inactivated temporarily Total for the above £529.97Intel PC- CPU - £149.99 i7-11400F- Case - £49.99 CiT Flash ARGB PC Gaming Case, M-ATX- MoBo - £104.59 (for Intel CPU) Asus PRIME B560M-A Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard- BT Adapter - £10- GPU - £229.99 Palit | GeForce GTX 1650 4GB- PSU - £39.99 Evga 600 W1, 80+ White 600W, Power Supply 100-W1-0600-K3- RAM - £65 approx 3200mhz - SSD - £30 for 256GB SSD- HDD - £45 for 2TB 2.5" HDD WD Blue- OS - Will use Windows Inactivated temporarily Total for the above £714.55

so afew corrections on the first reply.

1) the next one id be more looking in the used market then the buying a 1650 for £220.
    2) long terms performance a 11400 will dominate the cpu performance of a 5600G long term but u are paying for it more upfront on the total package even though the cpu is cheaper, it will be flipped.

and u also got to consider what n how u wanna game now and also future.

11th gen + used gpu = best way id say.

pre user -> 5600G way.

and then boost into a 3060Ti down the lines. (edited)
    EuroGamer Author
    Sarden8415/11/2021 16:28

rather then go into it:have a look into 5600G / 5600X so u understand what …rather then go into it:have a look into 5600G / 5600X so u understand what the G is.[Video] and then compare the losses vs the fight of 5600x vs 11400f[Video] when using a higher card.

Cheers will take a look at some point, think my dilemma is the GPU costs as a quick look on eBay for the GTX 1650 Used is not far off New costs where looking at Buy Now prices.
    EuroGamer Author
    jameshothothot15/11/2021 17:02

Basically the 5600g is a combined CPU and GPU and so isn't as powerful as …Basically the 5600g is a combined CPU and GPU and so isn't as powerful as a pure CPU. So if you were looking to get a discrete GPU down the line a pure CPU would be betterThe problem we all have is time machines... The 1650 is as powerful as an Rx 470. I bought one of them new for £150.many years ago and bought a few second hand after crypto crash for £60. In a normal market they should be around £100 new... So vastly overpriced but there is massive demand for chips and crypto distorts GPU market worseSo us value investors prefer to just be patient and get the right price.The return on a RRP 3060TI extra 100 or 150 pounds is phenomenal but the market is screwed right now

Cheers for the reply, think I'll wait it out and consider the Intel CPU + GPU PC combo
    Sarden84
    if i had a time machine i would go back and purchase more of the 5700xt at £303 and all the RX570 RX580 by realtime!
    refurb cards for like £65-85!!!!

and every 1600AF for £75 lol.. now u got me started (edited)
    jameshothothot
    Switch emulation is a lot easier now. Used to need an Nvidia card for opengl but yuzu on vulkan now. So was a gtx 1050 / 960 minimum before and much better than AMD Rx 570... You don't have a discrete GPU but just search on youtube. Plenty of people running yuzu on different configs. Just search for that APU with built in graphics.
    jameshothothot
    If not overclocking... Why pay 45 for a cooler? Does the chip not come with a stealth one? I get second hand AMD prism coolers cheap from eBay as people upgrade but a 20 pounds Amazon deepcoop gammax would surely work unless this is a small form factor case eg itx.
    jameshothothot
    Also 153 for a mobo? Wow. Again you say no overclocking so an a520 would work. I got a cheap b450 for my son's ryzen 2600 and I got an expensive mobo for my 2700 but techyescity says can use a320 for the 3600... Now don't think a320# will support 5600g but I would go for a cheap a520 if you don't want to overclock?
    jameshothothot
    Having said that.. I think people do overclock the graphic part of the Apu... So look into that . But 200 on mobo and cooler looks excessive though appreciate I got mine before current frenzy and got it from eBay used / ex display and also was last gen
    jameshothothot
    PSU looks crazy expensive for 350w. Amazon has 550w PSUs for cheaper than that which will get you a GPU upgrade down the line. 350w is Apu only so would expect 20 30 for that.

I would just look for and see his cheapest Apu and discrete GPU builds. He often has 500w PSU with room to grow eg can get a 1660 or 2060 GPU down the line.
    EuroGamer Author
    where I'm a noob in this field your input for what I'm looking to accomplish would be appreciated.
    jameshothothot
    Sarden8406/11/2021 10:28

Personal i would knock the Motherboard back to the B450I version https://uk …Personal i would knock the Motherboard back to the B450I version https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZGDJ7P/gigabyte-b450-i-aorus-pro-wifi-mini-itx-am4-motherboard-b450-i-aorus-pro-wifiThis would save you £50 + Wifi cost.Complete agree with James on both parts so that would cover them statements.--------------Yup PSU is crazy money but its the cheapest current SFX on PCPP.ebay has a seasonic 300W for £55 and then a BQ SFX for £57 (one id get out the three)sadly small PC's like this u pay the price.---------------As for the ram 3600mhz is the key, so type on here 3600mhz and take a look whats on offer at any given period, us users hunt ram down faster then fox hunters, so compare 16gb to 32gb cos 32gb are really good price at not much extra atm so its a consideration of 35 at times.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Because ur going down the route of Small foam, there isnt much to jump off in suggestion then what james has covered, unless u happy to nip to MATX for a bigger build then u can certainly save or use the extra funds for a card as james says.

Thanks Sarden. Yes...op you need to think how much you want the small form factor as that is affecting things. If you were to go to a nice micro ATX case then things are cheaper. But if you want a console size of then it is more expensive..
    Can see the dilemma!
    EuroGamer Author
    Sarden8406/11/2021 10:28

Personal i would knock the Motherboard back to the B450I version https://uk …Personal i would knock the Motherboard back to the B450I version https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZGDJ7P/gigabyte-b450-i-aorus-pro-wifi-mini-itx-am4-motherboard-b450-i-aorus-pro-wifiThis would save you £50 + Wifi cost.Complete agree with James on both parts so that would cover them statements.--------------Yup PSU is crazy money but its the cheapest current SFX on PCPP.ebay has a seasonic 300W for £55 and then a BQ SFX for £57 (one id get out the three)sadly small PC's like this u pay the price.---------------As for the ram 3600mhz is the key, so type on here 3600mhz and take a look whats on offer at any given period, us users hunt ram down faster then fox hunters, so compare 16gb to 32gb cos 32gb are really good price at not much extra atm so its a consideration of 35 at times.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Because ur going down the route of Small foam, there isnt much to jump off in suggestion then what james has covered, unless u happy to nip to MATX for a bigger build then u can certainly save or use the extra funds for a card as james says.

All depends if MATX will fit in my TV unit hence the SFF that I was initially looking at, if so then I'm open for the change.

See pic / details further up to James (edited)
    Sarden84
    ill have a look for cases for that gap shortly, just got to run lad to train station,
    EuroGamer Author
    Sarden8406/11/2021 13:54

ill have a look for cases for that gap shortly, just got to run lad to trai …ill have a look for cases for that gap shortly, just got to run lad to train station,

Many thanks, really appreciate it
    Sarden84
    EuroGamer06/11/2021 13:24

If a Micro ATX can fit within my TV unit then it doesn't need to be …If a Micro ATX can fit within my TV unit then it doesn't need to be console size.From bottom shelf to middle shelf or middle shelf to draw it's 20 cm in height.Depth on the shelf 40 cmWidth 50 cm end of shelf to Xbox for exampleExample pic below;[Image]

1st idea:

Cit Flash.

384 mm dep,
    397 mm height
    195 mm width.

u turn it on its side remove the legs.

cclonline.com/pro…40/ (edited)
    Bossworld
    jameshothothot06/11/2021 13:49

One thing need to think about is ventilation. This applies to consoles …One thing need to think about is ventilation. This applies to consoles too. PCs normally draw air from the front and exhale it via the back or sometimes top. You can get different shape cases but you will want to make sure has fans able to get fresh air in and out for best performance. Though the 5600g is quite light on that regard thankfully.

This. I ran HTPCs for many a year and they always struggled with heat when kept within a TV unit.

Intrigued as to how you get on with the Switch stuff, my RTX2060 seems to struggle with slowdowns and frame drops. (edited)
    EuroGamer Author
    Bossworld06/11/2021 15:49

This. I ran HTPCs for many a year and they always struggled with heat when …This. I ran HTPCs for many a year and they always struggled with heat when kept within a TV unit.Intrigued as to how you get on with the Switch stuff, my RTX2060 seems to struggle with slowdowns and frame drops.

As per my pic above my TV unit is open front side and back which I hope would be of some use.
    Xbox One X has not had issues although this may be comparing apples to oranges
    Bossworld
    EuroGamer06/11/2021 16:06

As per my pic above my TV unit is open front side and back which I hope …As per my pic above my TV unit is open front side and back which I hope would be of some use.Xbox One X has not had issues although this may be comparing apples to oranges

Can't tell from the pic, it looks like it's backed up against a curtain? You'll probably be OK given the side to side ventilation but just bear in mind, if you got mini-ITX (and particularly with inbuilt graphics) you're generating a fair amount of heat in a confined space. (edited)
    jameshothothot
    Bossworld06/11/2021 15:49

This. I ran HTPCs for many a year and they always struggled with heat when …This. I ran HTPCs for many a year and they always struggled with heat when kept within a TV unit.Intrigued as to how you get on with the Switch stuff, my RTX2060 seems to struggle with slowdowns and frame drops.

What CPU do you have? My son runs on a gtx 970 and and ryzen 5 2600. Yuzu has gotten much better over the past year for multi core and supporting vulkan as well as opengl which helps with AMD (though your 2060 should do very well). Ryujinx is worse for some games and better for others. But I find upscaling kills some games on ryujinx so native is best. It takes time to build shader cache but that is faster now.
    EuroGamer Author
    Apologies for being simple here as I'm clueless with this stuff...

Can someone summarise what I need for a PC build that can emulate smoothly (understand emulation is not perfect) PS3, Wii U and Switch games even if it exceeds £600 please?

- Preferably at 60fps and at 1080p on the emulated games, again I understand emulation can be different from game to game.

- Does not need to be SFF, Micro ATX should be fine.

For example listed like the below, but with a Case PSU etc...

- R5 3600
    - 16gb DDR4 3200 mhz RAM
    - NVidia GTX 1060
    - 256gb nvme m.2 ssd + 1 TB hdd

I'm very sceptical with AliExpress / Banggood PC builds that claim to play PS3, Wi U titles etc...

Many thanks. (edited)
    jameshothothot
    on emulation - different games will work better as you say
    and i have an older 8 core 16 thread cpu (2700) vs newer 6 core 12 thread where the single thread is better (3600)
    so youtube is your friend

BUT I would recommend only looking at recent youtube videos as the emulators get better every month

that said - this guy is one of my fave youtubers and has a LOW PROFILE 1650+3600 set up and has RSPC3 at the end

a year old but i love this guys channel

EuroGamer Author

Any issues you could help point out on the below 2 PC setups please?

I'm leaning towards AMD as I know it is a very capable CPU + iGPU for my needs with emulation and the price is under the £600 I stated, plus if I decide to add a GPU later when prices return to normal then I have that choice too.

AMD PC

- CPU + iGPU - £230 Ryzen 5600G
    - Case - £49.99 CiT Flash ARGB PC Gaming Case, M-ATX
    - MoBo (AMD) - £59.99 Asus Prime B450M-A II Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
    - BT Adapter - £10
    - RAM - £65 approx 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
    - PSU - £39.99 Evga 600 W1, 80+ White 600W, Power Supply 100-W1-0600-K3
    - SSD - £30 for 256GB SSD
    - HDD - £45 for 2TB 2.5" HDD WD Blue
    - OS - Will use Windows Inactivated temporarily

Total for the above £529.97

Intel PC

- CPU - £149.99 i7-11400F
    - Case - £49.99 CiT Flash ARGB PC Gaming Case, M-ATX
    - MoBo - £104.59 (for Intel CPU) Asus PRIME B560M-A Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
    - BT Adapter - £10
    - GPU - £229.99 Palit | GeForce GTX 1650 4GB
    - PSU - £39.99 Evga 600 W1, 80+ White 600W, Power Supply 100-W1-0600-K3
    - RAM - £65 approx 3200mhz
    - SSD - £30 for 256GB SSD
    - HDD - £45 for 2TB 2.5" HDD WD Blue
    - OS - Will use Windows Inactivated temporarily

Total for the above £714.55
    jameshothothot

Hmmm tough one.. at face value it is 200 for the GPU difference

If you want to game AAA at 1080p then the 1650 is a must. For emulation less so.

Certainly Google Xenia and rspc3 and 5600g but I am pretty sure yuzu on vulkan is fine now.

Ryujinx is still more opengl I think and Nvidia

Question is 200 worth it for a 1650?

Today's market yes

But you might be able to get a 3060 for 300 or so next spring once supply picks up

Maybe the amd 5600?

So for emulators I would suggest holding off on the GPU and play what you can until later.

Oh.... Just remembered you wanted the small form factor... So don't have much room for a big GPU anyhow? In which case 1650 makes sense

I am at work now

So I would want to check your PSU can cope with another GPU later on and the case size so you can get a better GPU

If you have gone for small case and weak PSU then the 1650 would be good

Edit so the case sounds like a standard size one so you are not limited to a 1650 from that

And the OSU 600w basic evga will be able to get you a GPU upgrade fine too. Maybe a 3070

Personally I would save the money and get a better GPU later given you have not gone for a small form factor build that can only fit a 1650.

Then go on the discord servers and wait for a good you deal

I got a 3070 founders for £470 from discord servers and scan drop

Check your local gumtree too

Alas crypto prices back up. need another leg down there (edited)
    EuroGamer Author
    jameshothothot15/11/2021 14:03

Hmmm tough one.. at face value it is 200 for the GPU differenceIf you want …Hmmm tough one.. at face value it is 200 for the GPU differenceIf you want to game AAA at 1080p then the 1650 is a must. For emulation less so.Certainly Google Xenia and rspc3 and 5600g but I am pretty sure yuzu on vulkan is fine now.Ryujinx is still more opengl I think and NvidiaQuestion is 200 worth it for a 1650?Today's market yesBut you might be able to get a 3060 for 300 or so next spring once supply picks upMaybe the amd 5600?So for emulators I would suggest holding off on the GPU and play what you can until later.Oh.... Just remembered you wanted the small form factor... So don't have much room for a big GPU anyhow? In which case 1650 makes senseI am at work nowSo I would want to check your PSU can cope with another GPU later on and the case size so you can get a better GPUIf you have gone for small case and weak PSU then the 1650 would be goodEdit so the case sounds like a standard size one so you are not limited to a 1650 from thatAnd the OSU 600w basic evga will be able to get you a GPU upgrade fine too. Maybe a 3070Personally I would save the money and get a better GPU later given you have not gone for a small form factor build that can only fit a 1650.Then go on the discord servers and wait for a good you dealI got a 3070 founders for £470 from discord servers and scan dropCheck your local gumtree tooAlas crypto prices back up. need another leg down there

Many thanks for this feedback, really appreciate it.

I'm highly likely going to use the PC for emulation mainly as opposed to AAA gaming as I use the Xbox (I have 2) for me and the Wife to play on.

Sarden8415/11/2021 14:20

if Going Ryzen: 5600G + B550M isnt bad and isnt to far off and also check a …if Going Ryzen: 5600G + B550M isnt bad and isnt to far off and also check any b550 deals what might come.as for the B450 then look into this MSI VDH Cit flash is a budget case which is nice, but for self builders its gone up in price and if ur paying that u can do so much better on other lines. - have a check whats on hotukdeals but also have a peak at Aerocool Aero One Miniif ur going intel id go MSI B560 VDH500Gb nvme here 16gb 3200mhz ram here Corsair 650W mod so afew correctionsso afew corrections on the first reply.1) the next one id be more looking in the used market then the buying a 1650 for £220.2) long terms performance a 11400 will dominate the cpu performance of a 5600G long term but u are paying for it more upfront on the total package even though the cpu is cheaper, it will be flipped.and u also got to consider what n how u wanna game now and also future. 11th gen + used gpu = best way id say.pre user -> 5600G way. and then boost into a 3060Ti down the lines.

Many thanks for the reply and pointers....

What do you mean by long term performance in point 2 please?
    - i.e. as the years go on the Intel will still be performing well as if it was new or some other terminology?

The CiT Flash case you originally recommended was due to my Width max capacity being 200mm (have to have PC on it's side as per pic above) and it has been a right slog to find one that is either that size or slightly smaller.

Also what do you mean by pre user -> 5600G way? (edited)
    jameshothothot
    EuroGamer15/11/2021 16:48

Cheers will take a look at some point, think my dilemma is the GPU costs …Cheers will take a look at some point, think my dilemma is the GPU costs as a quick look on eBay for the GTX 1650 Used is not far off New costs where looking at Buy Now prices.

Basically the 5600g is a combined CPU and GPU and so isn't as powerful as a pure CPU. So if you were looking to get a discrete GPU down the line a pure CPU would be better

The problem we all have is time machines... The 1650 is as powerful as an Rx 470. I bought one of them new for £150.many years ago and bought a few second hand after crypto crash for £60. In a normal market they should be around £100 new... So vastly overpriced but there is massive demand for chips and crypto distorts GPU market worse

So us value investors prefer to just be patient and get the right price.

The return on a RRP 3060TI extra 100 or 150 pounds is phenomenal but the market is screwed right now

Sarden84
    EuroGamer15/11/2021 16:48

Cheers will take a look at some point, think my dilemma is the GPU costs …Cheers will take a look at some point, think my dilemma is the GPU costs as a quick look on eBay for the GTX 1650 Used is not far off New costs where looking at Buy Now prices.

have a look for 970 980. (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants