Golf beginner advice

Posted 4th Jun 2023
Thinking of taking up golf as my knees seem to be calling it a day.

Any friendly advice for a complete novice?

What golf club brands are best etc.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I'd be tempted to just get a cheap set off ebay or marketplace. Just to get used to playing. It's a great sport if you have a couple of mates you can go with imo. It would be worth getting 1 or 2 lessons to show you how to swing properly too if you find that you do like it. (edited)
    Go to a driving range that has a shop attached and a resident professional there and have some lessons. It wont be quick and it wont be easy. Took me years to perfect my swing etc and still experiment with different techniques 20 years on. You can then use the clubs there and find what suits your stature and ability.
    Costco have a cheap McGregor starter full set for less than £299 . Or gumtree , Facebook marketplace for cheap second hand set .
    I have played golf for 30 years . I am still rubbish lol , but I am a April to September player and maybe only 2 - 3 times a month .
    My average steps for a round is 17,000 steps so great exercise.
    Your steps would probably be far less if you could hit the ball straight and not spend 15 minutes wandering around the rough trying to find it!!!
    As someone who only started a few years ago I would say the first thing is to find a driving range and get a couple of lessons so you can learn the basics. As far as clubs go there are a lot of good second hand clubs for sale but just to get you started. The last thing I would say is if you are tall look out for sets that have had longer shafts fitted, I am 6’4” and after struggling a bit with standard clubs I had a ‘fitting’ and got a set with longer shafts.
    It is quite addictive, good exercise and a laugh if you have a couple of mates to play with, unfortunately due to my health I cant play anymore and I really miss it - which is why I still have my clubs (just in case) 
    Author
    Seen a fair few sets on ebay that are close to me. What brands would be best? Thanks for all the advice
    Its not always about the brand, as a beginner find a set in good condition at a reasonable price that feels comfortable to use. Obviously if you go for the big names like Taylormade or Callaway then you should be getting a decent set but the cheaper makes like Wilson may actually suit you better. If you have an American Golf near you have a look and see if anything catches your eye (just dont buy from there lol) 
    my first set were my granddad’s old set, old but very well made, I used to go to the driving range, and on weekends, me and a few friends, used to go down to the local golf course about 4-5am, jump the fence and find lost golf balls, then play 5-6 holes furthest away from the clubhouse, before anyone got into the clubhouse ..

when we stopped doing that, we used to go over the big field before they cut the grass, to practice rough shots, then after they cut it, we went with our rakes, to get rid of the grass, then practice less rough shots

my first bought set were a £100 Dunlop from Argos or sports direct (edited)
    When I started back in the days I got a cheap set from Wilson that came with irons 5-9, PW, SW a hybrid, another fairway wood, a putter and a cart bag for 299 Euros.

You better invest the other money in lessons with a good pro.

I play now with a set of forged Taylor Made that have been fitted.
    Be careful can be a very expensive hobby, particularly if you buy bad to start and try and work a swing to badly fitted cubs.

One piece of advice - join a golf forum and post all your questions in there - dedicated help around the clock. Ask before buying anything - run it buy those on the forum
    Some clubs run free "Get into golf" sessions. Lessons are a great idea but see if your local driving range or large club run group lessons. Much more cost effective and gives you a chance to absorb, think and practice what the pro has said to you whilst he/she is watching others in the group.

Clubs - buy some that are designed for beginners (google the brand/range and you should be able to find out).

soft feel balls and mallet head putters are usually better for beginners. Putters are arguably the most important club in your bag and you want one that feels right (drive for show, putt for dough). If you get one with a set and you don't like it then change it but trying out putters in store or on the putting green is the only way to get a feel for them.

Some golf shoes in Lidl at the moment and Sports Direct do reasonably priced ones. Rick Shiels youtube channel sometimes cover budget sets (eg halfset from Aldi for £200 later reduced to £50). A half set is perfectly ok

Gloves - personally I hate synthetic leather gloves - I generally use leather - Sports Direct do some (slazenger v500 - 2 for £16) which aren't bad.

When you feel ready to give a course a go, some clubs offer cheap "twilight golf" in the summer or cheap winter membership eg three months in the winter for £125
    DON'T DO IT - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
    (Divorce, expense, obsession, boring conversation)

Try Golf anonymous whilst there is still some hope. (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants