Highway Code warns parking in wrong direction could land you with £2,500 fine

Posted 12th May 2023
manchestereveningnews.co.uk/new…amp

Rule 248 dictates which way you should be facing when you leave your car at the side of the road. Parking in wrong direction could land you with £2,500 fine!

Has anybody/ anybody know of anyone getting this penalty fine?
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Anonymous User
    The article is more specific than your post.

The rule says you shouldn't park on the side facing oncoming traffic at night specifically, and also if it's not a recognised parking space.

In reality, most councils will not have green meanies out at night, so unless the police decide to give you a ticket, you're largely going to be OK.

As for why this has appeared now, it's probably becuase Reach constantly regurgitate content every few months, as I remember this coming up on HUKD before. (edited)
    Angri
    I suggest that with the standards of journalism being consistently lowered by those that write for Reach, the company would be better named as Retch

I started driving in 1965 - and it was the rule then, too! (edited)
    Xippi
    Yup - dazzle is good. Also the name for a group of Zebra
    MadeDixonsCry
    I wonder what prompted this news site to write this article? The rule has been in force for many years but im not aware of it ever being enforced.
    Ferris
    We got a ticket for this about 25 years ago. They did a late night blitz on our street and ticketed dozens of cars for facing the wrong way, even though the street was well lit. They only ticketed that one time though.

Must've overspent the budget and needed a quick topup that year. (edited)
    MynameisM
    Very odd my father was fined around about that time for the same thing, I swore it was a new traffic warden and he didn't like my father's car or something because there was another car parked on single yellow line at a time when he shouldn't be and he wasn't given a ticket etcbut it was only the standard 30 at the time not the 2500.
    Daaru
    I think Rule 248 applies at night, something to do with rear lights on parked cars reflecting light, so can be seen better at night on unlit roads.
    CurvedSlightly
    Sure it's not on a one way?
    ander
    Yeah, as says you don't have reflectors on the front of your car. This rule has always been the case but I've never heard of it enforced. Coincidentally this morning I spotted a driving instructor parking on the wrong side to pick up a neighbour for a lesson, then the neighbour returned an hour later driving and also parked wrong way, can't see that being an isolated instance either, just doesn't seem to be even taught. (edited)
    Mark_Hickman
    Funny because my daughter told me just yesterday one of the maneuvers on the test now is to pull up on the right snd reverse two car lengths which i thought was a bit strange
    sjs31
    The issue is when cars are parked at night time/when dark
    Bob24601
    I got a fine in Canada for doing this, didn't even know it was a thing before that. I think the fine was only around 50CAD, so not the end of the world.
    MynameisM
    On the subjects of rules can someone explain the rule about going through bus lanes to drop off pickup a load , is it allowed and if so when I'm abit confused by it, also there seems to be a mistake where it says refer to rule 140 which is about cycles.

50171989-vqkEZ.jpg50171989-OzFkk.jpg (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants