Laptop harddisk

Posted 2nd Jun 2023
Hi all, my win10 laptop suddenly refuses to boot and I need the files today ( I have no enclosure to bring out the HDD).
Created a bootable USB with tiny10, booted up, but it now works as if the USB is the only drive. File explorer does not show the internal hard disk - so still cannot access the files.
What should I do? Really need the files today
Community Updates
New Comment

25 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If it refuses to boot and doesn't show as a drive then presumably the hard drive has either become disconnected, or completely failed.

Open the laptop up and confirm it's securely connected. And if it is then assume it's dead unless you have the means to test further with things like a USB-SATA Connector to try out.
    open the bios and see if the drive is visible - this will tell you if the drive is able to be read by the computer
    Agree with this then check disk part to see what has happened to the partition table
    currys.co.uk/pro…tml

Currys have a hards drive enclosure for £12.99

your local currys may be open until 8pm tonight (edited)
    is there any chance at all that you use onedrive in such a way that your files are backed up/synchronised automatically?
    Author
    Lol, I wish I did. But no, no backup
    From now on you need to periodically create a system image backup (I do mine probably every 2 months). If you're ever in this situation all you do is a system restore on a new drive and you're back up and running.

That easy - just recover the files from your backup...
    Author
    Still working on it at the Moment. Is there a chance you can teach me how to make the laptop works again? Now when try to boot using the internal HDD, it says 'inaccessible boot device'. Please help
    Hdd maybe dead but need to know status or what messages you get from most of the comments above to help anymore there's plenty to try have they worked?
    Take it to a data recovery service before you mess it up further
    Author
    What is that? Online company? Are they safe? Expensive?
    It's time to replace your HDD with SSD.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants