Rumour - Sony Working on a PlayStation Handheld

Posted 5th Apr 2023
Big rumour doing the rounds on socials and via Insider-gaming that a PlayStation Handheld is in development. The article says it could use Sony's Remote Play to play 'on the go' but i'm hoping you'll also have the option to download to said machine, more so without a connection i.e if on a plane etc.

It could be revealed at Sony's Showcase, which i understand is June 8th.

Code named Q-Lite,, the next PlayStation handheld is the next piece of Sony hardware that aims to be yet another piece of hardware that requires the PlayStation 5. Insider Gaming understands that the Q Lite is not a cloud-streaming device, but instead uses Remote Play with the PlayStation 5 – A feature the console giant has been pushing these past couple of weeks.''

Sporting adaptive streaming up to 1080p and 60FPS, the new device will require constant connectivity to the internet.

As for the console’s physical features, early prototypes show the console will look a lot like a PlayStation 5 controller, but with a massive 8-inch LCD touchscreen in the center. The device sports adaptive triggers for haptic feedback and will include what you would come to expect from a handheld – Volume buttons, speakers, an audio input jack, etc.

4115346_1.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

25 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    CalmerChameleon
    They tried with the PSP and failed. They tried with the PS Vita and failed. Now they're trying for the PS5 handheld lite?

Where they went wrong, imo, is that they were sold as a stand alone console. All the people who had PS2s had to fork out for a new (expensive) console AND needed (expensive) new games for it. Developers didn't like it either as they had to program bespoke games for a bespoke hardware, which cost them time and money. So they were reluctant (or just refused) to make games for it. The they repeated the same trick for the PS3/PS Vita owners.

Now if this new console somehow ran PS5 games all on downloadable software, it will be a massive hit. However, to make such a console, they'd have to sell it at an extortionate price and this would put it out of reach for the majority of gamers in these times of the 'cost of living' crisis.

I struggle to see them making this work. (edited)
    EndlessWaves
    I think you've got the wrong end of the stick.

This sounds more like a PS5 controller with a built in screen, for use when you're too far away from the PS5 to see the screen it's plugged into.

Either elsewhere in the house, or out and about.
    sm9690
    I have this already, it's called a PS Vita
    Dan_82 Author
    Ha! Miss mine, battery 'blew up' and killed it.
    EndlessWaves
    Sounds like a great idea for a console accessory, but might have some marketing problems if tech journalists are trying to report it as a handheld.
    AX31
    Nope
    Mrcrazyman69
    Used to think the PSP was a great console back in the day, but is there much of a point for a similar device nowadays? Probably not.. The Nintendo Switch has the children's gaming market covered and the Steam Deck covers everything else. Sony don't really take an interest in console exclusives as much as they used to, so I'm struggling to see the point.
    solid
    Lol

Children's gaming - such a misnomer (edited)
    RadiantDuck
    I love my vita. Now that it's modded to accept a micro SD card it is brilliant fun
    Anonymous User
    I loved my Vita but never used it as much as I thought - however, mine is the 3G model which has an issue that many of them seemed to have throwing an error code every time it's on. Can't remember what the error code is, but the only fix I know of was to return it to Sony with a relatively expensive cost iirc.
    DisagreeableRunt
    This just sounds more like a way to play your PS5 when the wife is complaining about you taking over the TV, rather than a true handheld!
    MadeDixonsCry
    Itd probably cost the same as a TV that women would be happy with...
    Retro89
    Yeah they aren't fooling me three times with their handhelds.
    AnkerMan
    Surprised no one said anything about 8inch screen. That's insane and with 1080p res, it will be power hungry so expect 1hr 30min gameplay if that. I used to have 7" tablet and thought it wasn't really portable or practical. Then there the " always online" rule which is almost always problematic.
    I guarantee you that Sony will make a mess of things limiting the potential of this so called handheld due to short sighted thinking and proprietary hardware that is anti consumer and under utilised.
    The best handheld would one designed by Sony but had the utility of a steamdeck. One can dream...
    AnkerMan
    After doing more research and looking at some of the Limitiations i have with my switch, i actually think this hypothetical handheld from sony could be quite useful for playing indie and classic arcade games in bed rather than on large tv.
    If some clever soul manages to bypass the always online restriction and ability to add sd card, this could be great for gamers. Ive been holding off buying a steamdeck so will wait bit more to see whehter rumours are true or not...
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants