Shed Base Advice.

Posted 2nd May 2023
I bought one of those 7ftx 7ft Keter sheds which popped up on here as a deal a few months back and planning to use my week off to make the shed base.

The plan is to make a base big enough for two sheds and then add one more later.

Anyway, I have some old heavy gravel boards left over from when the fence was replaced last summer.

Can anyone please advise if this sounds the right way to go about things?

1. Construct the timber frame and brace it/ put pegs in the ground to support the frame. Make sure it's square etc.
2. put down a layer of mot type 1 and whacker it down
3. DPM sheet down on top
4. put gravel boards on top of dpm
5. Mix concrete and put about 2 inches to level off

Worth putting in a small layer of sharp sand between steps 2 and 3?

Thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    newbie68
    Plan is thorough - no need for sharp sand. Some will think it's overkill, but it's how I would approach it. It will still be good after your gone
    ChrisKaru
    Your plan is sound. I have three Keter sheds. All erected on concrete bases. I went for MOT hardcore 2 inches compacted and 6 inches mass concrete. Overall this ensures the base is a couple of inches above ground level all round and prevents any water ingress.

50106508-P0rl0.jpg
    ash132 Author
    That's exactly the kind of thing I had in mind.
    001Cisco
    Sounds a lot of work....
    Is it just a garden shed?
    I think most people just use concrete slabs or plastic grid base + pea gravel
    BadMF
    If you’re going to be putting heavy things in the shed, I’d go at least 4” thick, 6” if a cars going to be on it at any point. 
    ash132 Author
    Thanks. No car but will be putting some shelves in.

My old gravel boards are around 2" so I figured 2" of poured concrete should hopefully be enough.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants