Taking kids outta school

Posted 23rd May 2023
I'll probably be shot down in flames, but has or will anyone take their kids outta school to go on holiday? We all know prices basically triple at term time, so I'm seriously thinking of taking them out of year 9 and year 11 for a week in October to get our first sunny holiday in years. I'll make sure they've no exams around then.
In my eyes, with me basically being a teacher for 2 years during COVID, and the amount of strike/training days they are off for, the authorities can go and bounce!!
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

55 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Azwipe
    In answer to your question, yes, every year. We used to pay the tax (fines) but now we just book holidays a few days before the holidays start and throw sickies.

The only other options would be to pay 3x as much or holiday in this country (not a holiday to me).

Just do what you think is right, personally i don't believe missing a few days school at the end of term is a problem.
    Big_Rik Author
    Yeah, I know 1 of them has 2 training days that week, and they usually do very little before half term anyway.
    newbie68
    Would not hesitate to do it. Life is short - holidays are life long memories for children and if it's the only way to get there I wouldn't give it a second thought.
    Willy_Wonka
    Are you after authorisation?

Personally I would be against it keeping in mind how much time they have already lost. Two weeks was a long time to miss. I remember having 2 weeks off due to illness as a child & I really struggled to get up to speed again.

Lets face it, you want to go away during term time because it is cheaper, you need to weigh it all up & make a decision for yourself. Not sure why you are asking.
    jamie15
    Especially year 9 and 11 - GCSE time, probably one of the worst times to take out for that duration
    airbus330
    FWIW I'd do it in Primary, but not in Secondary school generally. (and did) They're only in school for a few years and although holidays are important, they're not as memorable to kids as adults imagine. A successful education is memorable for a lifetime. God knows kids need every edge they can get in this competetive world.
    sm9690
    Pretty sure I can remember having an amazing time at disneyland when I was 12
    aLV426
    Wow! Well I guess I may as well add my 2 cents worth. I would not consider taking my kids out of school to go on holiday as not only is it a selfish act as a parent, it's also a selfish act for the rest of the class. Kids taken out of class early will miss out on what the rest of the class have learnt and it will impact their learning - especially if there are group activities. It's also distruptive - what have they missed and how will they catch up? It's obvious to me that you have not or do not consider what impact your actions have... (edited)
    thepostie
    As the saying goes, 'live for today'. So many of my customers were saying this during and after covid. Holidays will give you time away with your family to relax, explore and make special memories. Obviously if you can afford it, then go in school time but if not then don't worry about it and just book it. My dad was looking forward to lots of holidays in retirement but due to prostate cancer he's in a place where he's not been able to get out of the house much let alone abroad. So my point being enjoy life with your family as much as you can as you don't know what lies around the corner.
    davejb
    playing devils advocate here, but it really sounds like youve already made your decision and just want some kind of reassurance from others that they do it too. so you can say to yourself... well, if others do it then its ok for me to do it aswell. looks like a classic case of cognitive dissonance.. you know you shouldnt do something but want to so seek external reassurance to resolve the conflict and then further back it up with "well they missed school already due to covid and the recent strikes so whats another week"

but i would have thought the time lost due to covid and the recent strikes is even more reason to keep them in school. and at least with covid and the strikes all the children are in the same situation so can catch up together. with personal holidays only yours will be behind..

but i doubt any negative response will change your mind, so if youre going to do it then probably best not to ask the school for permission. schools are usually obliged to refuse in term holiday requests regardless of any reason given. so just call in at the begining of the week saying theyre ill... i think aslong as the school gets a valid reason and its not a regular occurance then chances are they wouldnt really question it. if its timed with training days and you and the kids feel its not really going to make a huge difference then at least youve done all you can to minimalize the impact.
    acb76
    Agreed.

To some extent I can see both sides but struggle with the notion that "the authorities can go and bounce". We could all say that in respect of lots of issues but the world doesn't/shouldn't/can't work around our own individual, selfish interests. If you choose to have kids then take all that comes that, good and bad, and that includes having to fork out to go on holiday outside of term-time, rather than wanting to have your cake and eat it.

No one more than me understands the concept of live for today (my wife and unborn child tragically died last year) but again if everyone applied that logic to everything then you'd have a complete free for all.
    .MUFC.
    Teachers didn't care about the kids when they went on strike. Enjoy your holidays!
    PS5
    It doesn't mean that you shouldn't care about your own kids education though
    Mich8ll8
    Take the kids and go enjoy a family holiday, I always take my son out of school couple days earlier at start of summer, the last week before summer, my son goes on days out and movie days in school so no education lost anyway…enjoy your holiday when it comes around!
    bozo007
    Your kids, their future. But your money, so your choice.
    PS5
    succinct > rambling
    PS5
    Standard argument.
    What do you put first? A holiday or the education of your child?
    I appreciate that travel firms sting every parent during summer due to supply / demand but that is because most parents do what they perceive to be the right thing and take their children away out of term time.
    I'm not hating. I would prefer you to do that than speed at 45mph through a residential 30mph and I see dozens of mums doing that near our school every single day..... This is just another moral decision to take a view on.
    Moniczek
    Travel broadens the minds of those who don't go to Benidorm like yourself.
    AnkerMan
    I am bit biased on this issue. I take my holiday off peak exactly because I don't want to be around unruly children. If every parent did this, what would be the point for those of us who decided not to have kids? Surely there has to be so some benefits?
    Fines for Parents doing this need to go up massively and even face some form of prosecution in courts. It's tough love for sure but had to be said...
    u664541
    Would you be OK if the teachers did it?
    Big_Rik Author
    Teachers had a big enough COVID break, and are out every other week striking or training, plus 3 months holidays a year
    thepostie
    Do it! Get a grandparent to ring the school if you can with a legitimate reason. Then enjoy your cheap family holiday. I used to do it a lot but now my wife works in a school so we are screwed! Sometimes, it works out cheaper to go longhaul than short haul in the holidays (Maybe not cheaper but you get more for your money).
    Mr_Meeseeks
    in the last few months my yr7 son has had 6 strike days thrown in, some short notice that semingly is ok for him missing out on his education but i want a week in September to take him away to save 3k on a holiday that would be much more expensive and unaffordable during the summer and that makes me the bad guy.

get in the bin, ive always took them in school hols at my own more expensive cost, this year im going in term time, ringing in with sickness and they can lump it.
    PS5
    Take the emotion out of it.
    Be aware that a striking teacher will have to cram more in etc but the syllabus will be covered to all students.
    Any time that you take off for your child will not be recovered as the rest of the children will still be taught whilst you are away.
    Of course, if your child isn't struggling and it is year 7 then the risks are lower...
    wpj
    At primary school I had 2 weeks off every year as my father worked in a town where they had "wakes" weeks which meant fixed holiday dates for him. This was accepted then as a norm, but it clearly doesn't happen any more.
    Mendoza
    we used to do this as a family holiday… in the 80’s

things may be different now
    Azwipe
    Everybody did it in back then. Only difference is the government discovered a way to tax it with fines.
    MonkeyMan90
    At those ages I would avoid as they will constantly be playing catch up and could have a huge impact on their exam results. But it's ultimately down to you. I personally don't think it's worth potentially messing up your kids career path for a bit of sun.
    Azwipe
    Is your kids career path messed up if they get sick and have to take 2 weeks off school ? Of course not.
    Anonymous User
    Just take them on holiday.

The teachers are on strike anyway aren't they?
    They seem to please themselves whenever an opportunity arises for them not to turn in for work really. They all ready have way too much time off, and I would not say that they were low paid in all honesty.

The Air traffic control will probably go on strike, its about this time of year that they spit their dummies out.

The ports and passports departments, are a bit flaky too. This is usually their time to drop out.
    Rail Operaters are perennial strikers, so that will probably be a factor.

And the collection of Britain's councils could not successfully hold a raffle properly.

Make sure you get good travel insurance, because if you are unlucky and get injured or become sick, you better hope its in a different country because ours is knacked.

Fill your boots.
    jinkssick
    You can save hundreds just going 2-3 days earlier. I wouldnt hesitate to but mine is still in year 5. So doubt the same will be said in years 9-11.
    DisagreeableRunt
    We saved over £800 a few years ago by flying to Florida on the last day of term! One day, not even as it was a half-day, and that was the saving. Not like they do anything on the last day before summer anyway. (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants