Trying to find the right monitor

Posted 12th May 2023
I'm after a monitor for my lads 14th birthday and could do with some advice.
It will be mainly used for homework, and some light gaming, Minecraft, civ 6, He's not into FPS and he's not a big gamer, though that can change.

I've settled on a 27" screen, as the right balance of size and practicality.
Obviously as a 14yo a curved screen would be his preference as it looks way cooler, but I can't think it would be that practical for homework.

I'm aiming to get something decent that will last him through GCSE's and A levels and is flexible enough to do a bit of everything.
I was looking at QHD so text is sharper, however his computer has only a 5600G so wouldn't run 1440, is it practical to change the monitor resolution to 1080p for games, until we can afford a gpu that would run games at native resolution?

I've been looking at the AOC Q27P2Q at £220 amazon.co.uk/AOC…5S2 which seems to hit pretty well all the right areas and is well reviewed, any thoughts on this monitor or any sensible alternatives?
Max budget is £240 but I'd rather stay a bit below if I can.

I've not bought a monitor in years and it's a bit of a nightmare balancing resolutions, panel type, refresh rate, size etc etc!!

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
New Comment

15 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    crevitz215
    best dad ever.
    winter_zombie
    the aoc q27p2q is a 1440p but its only 75hz
    and as you have said he's not a big gamer as yet nor do you have a great gpu
    so with that in mind i would say go for this AOC Gaming 27G2SPAE

AOC Gaming 27G2SPAE

yes its only a 1080p full hd monitor but its 144hz & its 1ms response time. its only £169 so well under your budget.
    i brought this for my son last week for his birthday and he is a avid gamer. i have the previous version v1 and again its amazing for gaming and work.

27" is the sweep spot for gaming monitors and really you should only be looking at 144hz screen or higher to make it more future proof. but like i said before this monitor is not a 2k or 4k monitor but unless you are looking to upgrade to a good gpu and plan on playing much more games their is no need for a 2k-4k monitor. full hd 1080p is amazing. and it won't break the bank.
    slipthru25
    How do you find using 1080p on a 27in monitor? I read ages ago that the sweet spot for a 27in monitor was 1440 resolution. I'm also looking at upgrading my children's monitors to 1080p 24in or maybe a 27in if they look decent.
    PS5
    Would you consider used?
    ElChappo Author
    Happy to, though only from somewhere it can go back easily if there's a problem.
    Anonymous User
    Not sure why you think the 5600G can't run at 1440p - I have a 5300G based mini PC, and it does.

I have a BenQ EX2780Q which I bought as it has plenty of video inputs for my desktop, mini PC, and Xbox Series X - I decided 27" and 2K was optimal for me, with the mini PC and XBox using HDMI, and the desktop using DP - all three are set to run at 1440p.
    ElChappo Author
    Sorry, I wasn't precise, I meant wouldn't run games at 1440p.
    I was assuming it would be fine for text/browsing etc where it's not pushing too many pixels
    EndlessWaves
    The reference size for monitors is 96dpi which corresponds to 23" for FHD and 32" for QHD.

In the old days before TV resolutions became fashionable there'd probably have been an intermediate resolution for 27" but that's never really happened, despite the popularity of that size.

Whether you go smaller or larger primarily depends on your viewing distance. If he's got a shallow desk and has his eyes only 30cm from the screen then smaller (i.e. QHD) is the way to go. If it's a deeper desk, perhaps with a pull-out keyboard tray, and he's 70cm, 80cm or a meter away then FHD is more appropriate.

In between in more about preference and subjectiveness, which is why there's a lot of choice in both resolutions. You should be careful about any posts that talk about what the sweet spot is without mentioning distance.
    ElChappo Author
    Great, I'll have a look tonight. Appreciate your help
    Zek
    I have a 5600G and a Dell S2721DGF, though it is around £260 on a good day so a bit too expensive, GTA 5 I set to 1080p in game and it looks pretty good, it's a bit too laggy for me at 1440p (but playable) but Minecraft and Roblox are playable at 1440p. I expect Fortnite might need 1080p too though. (edited)
    ElChappo Author
    Thanks for that, at the moment it's mostly Minecraft so sounds like it should work at 1440p.
    Just looked up the Dell, I can see why you chose it, but I've got to stick to the budget.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants