what is the best type of device for chopping onions

Posted 27th Apr 2023
partner cries chopping and can't be asked im aware of most types, proccessors, mandolins, choppers - manual and electric.

what do peeps like using the most for the one onion in a meal jobo
Community Updates
New Comment

34 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Attic45
    Cut it like you are doing an apple without going through the ‘core’. Most of the chemicals are in that central core bit and if you chop around it then it will reduce crying massively.
    TristanDeCoonha
    Chopping onions can temporarily cure depression.
    Your partner needs swimming googles to prevent spray going in the eyes.
    If there are no earplugs, then wad up some toilet tissue and place a lump in each nostril. A couple of tampons would do the job better. This would stop any spray being inhaled past the sensitive parts of the nose causing irritation and sneezing.
    Next put out the tongue and close the lips around it, as if blowing a raspberry..
    Then take the knife in the right hand, and place the left hand on the top of their head.
    Now this is the really important part. Get them to turn and face the camera, then you upload the picture to here.
    We'll be laughing so much that any depression will be temporarily forgotten.
    Follow me for more kitchen and medical advice.
    Willy_Wonka
    How about a knife?

Used for centuries, does the job well, no hassle washing up, saves time & doesn't take up any space in the kitchen?
    D3LL80Y
    Partner cries though maybe a new partner?
    Whoohoo
    If it's really that bad for them there's always frozen onion
    mutley1
    i used to cry buckets when i cut the onions until i consulted hukd consultants and since then, no sweat at all, or rather no tears at all

what you do is once peeled, wash it under a cold water tap immediately, then cut it in half and wash both halves immediately under the water.

then slice the onions without your face directly over it, so stand back a bit from the chopping board as much as you can. and most importantly, only chop one onion at a time, and take a break before chopping another one
    melted
    Wearing goggles that seal to your face to keep the fine mist of droplets of onion juice out of your eyes should be enough, as long as they're kept on until the air clears.

Using a sharp knife will help.

Alternatively,

Cutting them underwater. My guess is part freezing them would cut down on the airborne droplets too, and be more practical than using a knife in a bowl of water.

I just try to keep my head well clear of the onion so the droplets don't reach my eyes. (edited)
    MonkeyMan90
    Don't chop the root off. Until you've finished.
    Magister
    Now THAT would bring tears to my eyes
    spoo
    Buying the biggest onions you can find helps, smaller onions are stronger and more likely to make you eyes water. For some reason the ones you get in packs of 3 in a pre-packed net bag are usually bigger (and milder) than regular loose onions.
    DealJester Author
    Yes but pricing is quite large 100g 3 big onions £1 and then 500g smaller onions 70p

Also I tend to have gousto so don't choose the produce
    Stormtrooper
    What you need is a K-Tel Veg O Matic
    a666andy
    Use a ceramic knife
    leeanne123
    someone else? When I used to wear contacts, my eyes were absolutely fine chopping them... back using just glasses nowadays.. usually I'm ok with them, although sometimes i can get a batch of onions that are just really strong. I just try to minamise the amount of time spent with them out in the open/raw.. i take of the top/bottom/ outer layer and chuck it straight in the bin, then quickly half it and dice both sides and get them in cooking.
    Mendoza
    I seen a chef do something very quick and easy, the other day ..

I’ve been trying to find it again, but can’t right now ..

I’m pretty sure it was Jamie Oliver, I’ll keep searching, I think it could have been, Jamie & jimmy’s food fight
    Justintime12
    I just chop them next to an open window

Putting a wooden spoon in your mouth sideways does the trick too as makes you breathe through your mouth
    D944
    Just hold your breath?
    rev6
    Wear safety goggles

Silverline 633740 Safety Goggles Indirect amzn.eu/d/6VekcGJ

And use a knife.

Or one of the pull cord choppers with 5 blades (edited)
    Robdataff
    I've got a pull chopper. Works ok, cleanings a bit off a faff though.
    RealOldMonk
    Try this,
    Soak onion in water for 30 secs before pealing and chopping.

Normally before I cook, if recipe needs onion, that is first thing I pick and soak, while I gather other ingredients.

If soaking trick is not for you, then buy small chopper. I used this one for years paid £10 on offer in 2011. It’s perfect for 1-2 people.

argos kenwood chopper

Forgot to add, my wife’s trick of using face shield (edited)
    RealOldMonk
    Another trick my mum uses, she peels batch of onion in one go and store in fridge in airtight container.

When you chop onions stored in fridge they don’t make you cry. (edited)
    cheaperbythe12
    This. Probably best method and if still bad do as someone else mentioned and wash u skinned onion under cold tap, half it and wash under tap again.
    Corkscrew
    Just hold your tongue out and turn the extractor fan on. The onion mist is attracted to moisture
    CatsWithThumbs
    Surely the correct answer is you volunteer to chop the onions instead...
    Robdataff
    Do your onions need to be any particular style? If you've a box grater...

50070078-WK9Uk.jpg I use that instead of trying to dice onion. Works really well. Aim it away from you, and there's no tears. You can even throw a tea towel over the top if you've got reasonable hand eye coordination.

I've got a mandolin too, works well if you want slices. Bit more dangerous though. I reckon more homes own a box grater than a mandolin anyway.

There's loads of tricks above.
    One nobody has mentioned is maybe buy different onions. Echalion shallots are really nice, and far less pungent.

Let the peanut gallery know what you end up trying.
    D3LL80Y
    Wear swimming googles
    kevlfc
    the wife bot
    Renoir64
    We have one of these.
    Quarter the onion, throw it in and let it chop.
    The bowl is glass so it doesn't get tainted.
    Out of stock but a very neat solution and also good for chopping anything else.

johnlewis.com/joh…489
    Hammers81
    Im confused why your partnet cant be asked? Asked to chop the onions?
    Mich8ll8
    Another trick for chopping onions…put a dessert spoon in your mouth…make sure it’s upside down on your tongue…it does work!
    Adster
    I've used a manual food processor like this amazon.co.uk/Cho…9C5 for about 15 years. Quarter the onions, throw them in and spin it, never had any issues with my eyes watering (until they go in the pan, thats a different matter). I've tried various electric ones and they all seem to blend the onion to mush rather than chop it.

Also works for cutting up mushrooms in seconds
    cowtc
    I use a portable fan and set it aimed at the knife to blow away from you (preferably out the window), minimalizes the crying for me
    dorey69
    Frozen ones or just deal with it
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants