Asda handheld self scanner Fraud

deleted2282470's avatar deleted2282470
Posted 1st Sep 2019
Beware of fraud happening #Asda supermarket when using their handheld self scanning gun, it happened with me today@ 13:26 I paid for someone's else shopping , good I noticed it before I left #Asda and informed them . It's not very safe to use these scanner.
Community Updates
New Comment

21 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    What makes you say it is fraud, what if the actual amount you paid for was a lot less than the value of the goods you had?
    Would you have been fraudlulent?
    Fraud needs to be of intent.
    What we have is a glitch of some sort which no no doubt will/has been sorted (edited)
    How did you pay for someone else's shopping? I've never used one of these..
    deleted419701/09/2019 15:12

What makes you say it is fraud...

Cos shock-horror fraud makes it justifiable to sign up to a deal forum and ramble about the experience, whereas simple mistake, error, prank is too dull to go the trouble of registering / posting.
    More likely error (previous user's shopping?) rather than intentional fraud by ASDA, or is OP suggesting another shopper has intentionally hacked the system somehow?
    deleted228247001/09/2019 15:28

Person swapped my handset and paid for my shopping may be that time my …Person swapped my handset and paid for my shopping may be that time my shopping was only £10 when he exchanged scanner. I am just trying to make people aware it can happened with anyone because it's so easy to do.

why would they do that?
    every scanner is linked to your account, so the sales team could see if your shopping was the one linked to the scanner that was linked to your account.

and if someone wanted to fraud their shopping - they just don't scan their items and walk through the counter...
    getting someone else paying for their shopping doesnt protect them from being randomly selected for a check at the counter... as none of the items on their scanner would match what they have in the basket
    It sounds like Asda put the wrong barcodes on the scanners.
    hukd discussion threads are getting worse & worse - misleading titles that are no better than the click bait peppered all over the internet these days
    You can press the little shopping trolley icon just above where the scan button is, this then gives you a itemised list of your purchases
    Sounds like a deal should be posted ? "Asda Glitch fill up your trolley and swap scanner with family/ friend - pay 20p for £100 of shopping " Will go mega hot I guarantee - if honoured .
    I don't shop at Asda .
    Author
    When I finished my shopping, just scanned scanner at till and paid for it. I realized it when I was checking for the prices of one of the stuff I bought, then I realized non of the scanned item in my shopping trolley, I approached them and offer them to scan my shopping again, then I realized my bill was completely different.
    splatsplatsplat01/09/2019 14:57

I suppose a fraudster could make copies of the barcodes at the checkout that you scan to tell the system to upload your shopping to the checkout.

They stick their own barcodes on two checkout machines, swapping their identities, when a victim goes to use one of them, they go to the other and scan the barcode at the same time. Resulting in their shopping appearing on the screen of the victim's checkout, and the victim's shopping appearing on theirs. Wait for the victim to pay and walk out.

Would fail if the victim looked at the shopping appearing on the screen, unless they'd bought identical basket, and the fraudster still wouldn't have the receipt, and you would have to be registered to use them, so likely get caught.

Another option would be to swap handsets before going to checkout when the victim wasn't looking. (edited)
    Author
    melted01/09/2019 15:17

I suppose a fraudster could make copies of the barcodes at the checkout …I suppose a fraudster could make copies of the barcodes at the checkout that you scan to tell the system to upload your shopping to the checkout.They stick their own barcodes on two checkout machines, swapping their identities, when a victim goes to use one of them, they go to the other and scan the barcode at the same time. Resulting in their shopping appearing on the screen of the victim's checkout, and the victim's shopping appearing on theirs. Wait for the victim to pay and walk out.Would fail if the victim looked at the shopping appearing on the screen, unless they'd bought identical basket, and the fraudster still wouldn't have the receipt, and you would have to be registered to use them, so likely get caught.Another option would be to swap handsets before going to checkout when the victim wasn't looking.

Person swapped my handset and paid for my shopping may be that time my shopping was only £10 when he exchanged scanner.
    I am just trying to make people aware it can happened with anyone because it's so easy to do.

splatsplatsplat01/09/2019 14:57

Probably a child, plenty there I expect.
    Never used the Asda Hand Held scanners, but used the Tesco ones very often and they are very reliable.
    Don't the Asda ones tell you how much you've spent as you go along, if so surely you would have had an idea when you downloaded it to the till how much you should have paid anyway. (edited)
    hashman01/09/2019 15:42

why would they do that?every scanner is linked to your account, so the …why would they do that?every scanner is linked to your account, so the sales team could see if your shopping was the one linked to the scanner that was linked to your account.and if someone wanted to fraud their shopping - they just don't scan their items and walk through the counter...getting someone else paying for their shopping doesnt protect them from being randomly selected for a check at the counter... as none of the items on their scanner would match what they have in the basket

They'd get caught by a random check, and once a victim notices, and they'd be an electronic trail of payments by other people's cards on their account, providing evidence for the trial, but I'd imagine every shoplifter expects to get arrested occasionally, and would be aiming to make that as infrequent as possible.

They might figure that if they get stopped on the way out, the electronic record for their account would show their basket as paid for, and if they actually paid for the other persons cheaper shopping basket, they'd be less likely to be challenged by security than if they just walked out. If swapped scanners are noticed, they could try to claim it must have been by accident.
    It is perfectly safe to use these scanners. That is if you know how to use them and use them properly.

I cannot for the life of me see how this is an issue or any sort of 'fraud'. An accident? System error? Maybe, but, even then far fetched.

You take your shopping to the self scanned till. You use the handheld scanner to zap the barcode on the till. This then generates a barcode on your handheld scanner and then all your shopping appears on screen. Its there in front of you what you bought. Did you not notice then, or, when paying by card (as its card payment only) that the value hadnt matched what you expected it to?

But, as others have said, it will be easy enough to trace who scanned/paid for your shopping and with the one you paid for as its all linked to emails and phone numbers which are then cross referenced to card details.
    Asda are quite bad for errors. Not quite as bad as Coop. I picked up a redcued loaf in Asda, should have been 20p, when they scanned it, it was £265. The other checkout operators were saying stuff like, "that's better than my £150 donut i had the other day".

I always feel a bit scrooge-esque if I glance at my receipt when walking out but this has saved me a lot of money (obviously the bread one was detected at the checkout!), they are essentially stealing from customers with double scans and price errors. (edited)
    I use the scanners all the time. It's very efficient and the queues are less or non-existent. You must have left your trolley unattended and somebody probably switched your handheld. But you can see what you're adding to it as you go anyway. It's very safe and easy to use and nothing to do with Asda. Complaining about nothing I'm sorry to say. It's not a big deal checking it when it's uploaded on the till also.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants