Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Best 50/55" telly for £500

Posted 28th May 2023
Hello,

As above really - whats the best telly at the moment for around £500?

I recently got the TCL 55C735K deal from Amazon for £429 which arrived battered. I set it up anyway and don't rate the picture quality at all - the professional reviews all say its an incredible telly so it might just be my eyes? I've previously had Samsung's and Panasonics and was impressed. I would prefer wider viewing angles as this panel goes washed out unless im sat directly in front of it. Also the darker the blacks, the better!

I'm interested to know your thoughts... Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    darkclouds
    Regarding the TCL have you fine tuned the pq or just left as out of box as normally it can make a massive difference 

and wider viewer and angles and deeper blacks not a chance unless you go top end Sony/Samsung or oled it’s one or the other 
    bizzlebest Author
    Yes, have tweaked settings as recommened by a calibration expert. A bit of improvement but still pants.

My old cheap Sammy 50inch has better viewing angles and is still a VA panel.

Thanks for your input
    Nikita_Percival
    We have two toshiba no issues and manual adjusted the colours best for what we need.
    KodaBear
    TCL and Hisense tend to use cheaper VA panels so narrower viewing angles. The built in tuners are also very poor. So if you’re using the Freeview or Freesat built in rather than a set top box you’ll have a bad time too.

If you definitely want to replace it but are on a budget then I’d say to get a Toshiba QA5D QLED or UK4D if you’d prefer the standard LCD/LED panel. I have the 50” UK4D and despite the VA panel I can clearly view it from way off at an angle without losing any colour or brightness.

You mention previously having a Panasonic - Unless this was a super high end model it will be the same as the Toshiba - Both are manufactured with the same parts in the same factory by Vestel.

All Vestel 50” panels are VA so you’ll get the dark blacks and better contrast. But some of the 55” ones are IPS instead.
    bizzlebest Author
    Panasonic is a real one. 2015 last range of 720p Plasma! £250 in Sainsbury back then!
    C0mm0d0re_K1d
    Having read the thread. What exactly are you looking for then gaming 120hz, lcd, qled or oled?
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants