Car bashed ( cat N) Not sure what to do

Posted 12th May 2023
Someone rear ended me a couple of weeks ago. they accepted liability. Just heard back to say I've been given a settlement fee and the car is classed as cat N.
This is my first crash so not quite sure what the done thing is.

They have given me a measly £2580 if they keep the vehicle.
I can get the vehicle back and only receive £2280
So £300 less
The car is classed as category N, which seems to be non structural damage.

Can anyone give any pointers about this? The impact was very minimal. I was expecting to get the paint fixed and a minor repair to the bumper.

Will the vehicle still be road-legal?

Surely it's worth keeping and definitely worth more than £300?

I spent £400 on it doing some work myself only a few months ago.
Community Updates
New Comment

19 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    davejb
    you say its measly but just having a quick look online shows quite a few 2009 clio TCEs for around that price. hard to judge without knowing your cars mileage and condition but £2580 seems right in the middle. theyve just gone with the current average market price. if you think its worth more then speak to your insurer and say youre not happy with the settlement and see if they can get it improved.. its worth a phone call.

Ultimately theyre offering to give you your car back and £2280... so is it going to cost £2280 to repair it? probably not.. so get it repaired and enjoy the profit. seems a no brainer to me lol. bear in mind that you might get less when you come to sell it but as a private seller you dont have to tell a buyer.

if you do have it back check your insurer is ok with insuring it. shouldnt be a problem but worth checking. and maybe take some before and after pictures of the damage and repair. then if a seller does ask about it then you can put their mind at ease.

some info found online
    "
    Cat N cars, or non-structurally damaged carsCategory N write-offs are vehicles that have suffered non-structural damage and can be repaired to a roadworthy condition and put back into use. The term ‘non-structural’ covers a lot of ground and could include the bumpers and roof panel, not to mention the electrics, the engine and the seats. A Cat N car doesn’t need to pass an inspection or be re-registered before it is returned to the road.

Once a car has been given a Cat N status, it can be bought back just like a Cat S car. However, the difference is that you do not need to re-register it, instead you keep the same log book but must inform the DVLA of its Cat N status. "
    harlzter
    When mine got hit last year they gave me the option of having it back for the sum of £100.40 which was a no brainer, the damage? a scuff that came off with a melamine sponge and a couple of broken tabs on the bumper and arch trim (cable ties and a tek screw fixed this) I sold it on facebook local for £650 the same day copart delivered it back to me (minus the tank full of diesel it had when collected, not even enough left to get to the local fuel station 0.2 miles away. In total I ended up with £1100 payment and £650 for the car so £1750 for a car I had paid £1k for 10 months prior and sailed through its MOT with me and again a couple of months ago, not bad for a 15 year old daily runabout with just shy of 240,000 miles on the clock.

Oh and I took the tow bar off before it went to co-part so sold that for £100 after selling the car (the guy who bought the car bought it )

Check scrap car comparison sites, even if I sold it to one of those I was being offered £400 plus so yours may be worth more depending on car. Mine was a 2.2 diesel civic.
    aLV426
    Wait - paying to take your own car back?
    bargainhunter1
    Sorry to hear that. I know how stressful it is. I had a minor bump to my car for the first time In 25 years of driving.
    With the limited knowledge I have, I'd say argue with the insurance company for a better value/payout.
    Keep the car and have it repaired . I am sure it would be road legal but less selling value.
    aLV426
    Spook - we just had our car back after we was rear ended. What annoyed me was the garage seemed to be pretty dodgy. They replaced the rear window (which was factory tinted and not damaged!) with a clear screen. I asked for a list of the work performed and they asked what I needed that for?!
    It didn't cost us anything, except inconvenience & time.
    Surely you have the right to have it reassessed at another garage - I wish that was something we did in hindsight.50165255-fv5h1.jpg
    slimy31
    I wouldn't be surprised if they swapped your entire tailgate rather than the rear screen, especially if the glass was ok. If they could have found a tailgate somewhere then it's a case of a couple of bolts and some wiring to swap them over.
    MonkeyMan90
    If you can sell the car for more than £300 which I'm sure you will be able to then it's a no brainer
    googleboogle
    Same happened to me, fixed it up, kept driving it, then somebody else hit it and wrote it off.

Got two pay outs for it which covered the total cost from new for it and some.
    jinkssick
    Have you thought about Pass Plus?
    mart321 Author
    Thanks for the replies. I will definitely keep it me thinks. Does anyone know where you stand legally with a category N car.

Is it road legal?
    fisco2001
    Yes CAT N is classed at following

that a vehicle doesn't have any structural damage and can be repaired and returned to a roadworthy condition.

What Car is it btw (edited)
    bigwheels
    What is the damage ?
    Do all the rear lights work. If working your good.
    Are there and bits sticking out.
    Any sharp bits etc.
    If yes screw or tape the down and away you go.
    abigsmurf
    Just a note. This sounds like a first offer. Check the value of what the car would be worth before the accident on Webuyanycar and go back to them if it's significant. Insurance companies have a habit of lowballing write-off values on the basis that a large enough portion won't challenge their values for it to save them a lot of money.

Also, remember that a write-off, even if you get it looking and working perfectly, will tank future resale value and lots of places won't even make you an offer.
    mart321 Author
    They never even told me what had happened. As far as I knew the car was getting fixed. I then phoned the company dealing with my car on behalf of my insurer, they are called copart.

They simply said a check was on its way in the post for £2580 from their insurer. And I can keep it and be done with it or deduct £300 and have my car back.

The value on webuyanycar is only coming back as £1300 (edited)
    Xippi
    What impact would a Category N have on obtaining insurance in the future? Would it be difficult to get/more expensive?
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants