Chromebook mobile data connection

Posted 27th May 2023
Tidying up some old tech I stumbled across a very old Samsung Chromebook. It works, and still has battery life of 6hrs+ which makes it potentially pretty handy for using out and about. It also has a 3g SIM card slot, but it doesn't seem to find a mobile network when I insert a SIM.

It has a US keyboard layout, so could it potentially not be the right band or something? It doesn't seem to be branded to any network or anything.
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    doncoop
    might be about the network of the sim?

I have a feeling 3 can check if you place a mobile sim into something non-mobile. So you don't get their all unlimited data sims and use it for your broadband.

Also, just did a very quick google and 3g is being switched off.

ofcom.org.uk/pho…off

Again - if you're on vodafone might be there is no 3g network anymore.

Might be you get some time with it, but tethering might be the only way in the next year or so regardless.
    Ferris Author
    Yeah, I'm aware of the switch off, but it should still default to 2g. I'm thinking now based on the US keyboard that it must be set to 3g/2g frequency bands that don't exist in this country.

Looking into the system data, the 3g unit has a Verizon APN hardcoded in, and I can't see any way to change it. It also claims to be 4G LTE. Shame it won't work (edited)
    u664541
    What's the model number?
    Ferris Author
    Xe500c21. It's from 2011 (!)

It's long out of support, but useful (with a separate Google account) to chuck in a bag for basic writing tasks on the go. It would be more useful if the mobile data connection worked...
    tardytortoise
    would the sim card itself need to know what 3g service to connect to? The sim is activated? Have you switched on mobile data? What is the current version of the OS? Probably worth updating.
    Ferris Author
    It is so old, there is no way to update the OS officially, and Samsung seem to have locked down any possibility of flashing a third party OS on there (I tried!)

The SIM was working in a phone a moment before I tried it in the Chromebook, and it's on a network Lyca/O2) that should have 2g and 3g signals.

Yes, mobile data is switched on and WiFi switched off. It just says "searching for a mobile network" then "not connected"
    gobble_bobble
    Mrchromebox.tech/#devices
    Ferris Author
    Checked that out ages ago. Didn't seem to be any support for this board.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants