Cooking oil? What are good healthy oils to cook with?

Posted 18th Apr 2023
There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on what oils are healthy and good to cook with.

I currently use rapeseed oil for active dry as I thought that was good with the fats but apparently it is highly processed so not great?

What oils would you recommend?

I have invested in a stainless steel pan so trying to learn what oils I need to fry chicken and veggies?

Would coconut or avocados oils be good?

One thing that does seem to have consensus is vegetable oil is not good for you.
Community Updates
New Comment

20 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The_Circle
    One option you could consider would be to buy an airfryer. You could get a decent one for about £40 if you look around.

The reason I mention this, is that all the food which would normally require oil to fry, can be done in less time with no oil.
    The saving you make on not buying oil, will pay for the airfryer in 2 months.

There's a mountain of information online about airfryers, but you can cook bacon, sausage, chicken, roasts, vegetables... anything really and a lot of the things taste better in the airfryer.
    yorkie12
    Rape seed oil is good and if you look at ingredients of supermarket (eg. Aldi) vegetable oil it's often Rape seed.
    Yas_Min
    Was wondering why people are saying vegetable oil like it's not seed oil
    slipthru25
    Organic Coconut oil or organic olive oil.

Rapeseed and vegetable oils are bad for you they convert to oxidised cholesterol and trans fats. (edited)
    joyf4536
    Is Turnip oil OK?
    EndlessWaves
    Turnips aren't particularly oily and oilseed rape is a variety of the same plant that produces turnips (the oil comes from seeds). I'd guess that's just someone trying to be creative with the marketing for rapeseed oil.
    Buckyball
    The best frying oils are vegetable oil and peanut oil. The both can be heated to very high tempertures, however peanut it the best. (edited)
    sm9690
    I copied your post into ChatGPT and it gave this answer

You're right that there is a lot of conflicting information out there about which oils are healthy and good to cook with. However, there are some general guidelines you can follow to help you make better choices.

When it comes to cooking oils, it's important to choose oils that are stable at high temperatures and have a good balance of healthy fats. Oils that are high in saturated and monounsaturated fats tend to be more stable at high temperatures, while oils high in polyunsaturated fats can be more unstable and prone to oxidation when heated.

Here are some oils that are generally considered to be good for cooking:

Extra-virgin olive oil: This oil is high in monounsaturated fats and antioxidants, making it a good choice for cooking at low to medium temperatures.
    Avocado oil: Avocado oil is high in monounsaturated fats and has a high smoke point, making it a good choice for high-heat cooking.
    Coconut oil: Coconut oil is high in saturated fat, which makes it stable at high temperatures. It's a good choice for high-heat cooking, but it's important to choose unrefined, virgin coconut oil to get the most health benefits.
    Ghee or clarified butter: These are forms of butter that have had the milk solids removed, making them more stable at high temperatures. They are a good choice for high-heat cooking and have a rich, buttery flavor.
    As for rapeseed oil, also known as canola oil, it is a good source of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, but it is highly processed and may contain trace amounts of harmful chemicals. If you choose to use it, opt for organic and unrefined versions.

In summary, some good options for cooking oils include extra-virgin olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, and ghee or clarified butter. It's important to choose oils that are stable at high temperatures and have a good balance of healthy fats. Avoid oils that are highly processed, such as vegetable oil, and opt for unrefined, organic versions when possible.
    Buckyball
    In summary your post is garbage
    bob-mk2
    old-pressed oilseed rape is natural and relatively healthy.

Canola and the like are chemically extracted with some very nasty chemicals.

Cold-pressed is literally squeezed out from the seed like squeezing a lemon and nothing more is done to it.

(edited)
    MrHappyGilmore Author
    Is the old type? We have been using it a while, I just assumed it was healthy

amzn.eu/d/h…rcR
    abigsmurf
    Olestra is a zero calorie fat so technically it's the healthiest. Banned in the UK due to it's 'side effects' though.
    Bigfootpete
    Isn't rapeseed all GM these days? They stopped reporting whether it is or not, there haven't been any issues so I'll bet it's widely modified these days.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants