Declaring Windscreen Claims

Posted 9th Feb 2021
Just after your thoughts should someone be declaring that they have had a replacement windscreen in the last 5 years on your car insurance?
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    addyjones123409/02/2021 10:49

I’m sure I checked when I last had it done and it doesn’t count as a claim.

Sorry to disagree but that's a common mistake. It IS a claim. Some insurers care about it, some don't. Its like speed awareness courses; some insurers don't care about 1 instance (LV. I know because I use them and have attended a 2 courses. The 1st was ignored. The 2nd was a £7pa fee) others bang up the premium for all courses

The over riding principle for any insurance is that failing to disclose material facts (ie ANY CLAIM) is likely to invalidate insurance. That's a small risk but if you have an accident and it comes to light, you will regret it for ever as your premiums will be hiked forever on that fact alone and you will be flagged as untrustworthy

DECLARE IT and let them decide.
    It should be declared unless specifically told not to by the insurer.
    Author
    On further research it does appear THAT a windscreen claim is declaredable to all insurance companies.
    If you declare it you have nothing to worry about, if you don't it COULD mess things up for you down the line, don't think the insurers are the good guys.
    Depends on the insurer some want five years claims others three including any glass claims and some don't, and other's maybe different. Not declaring could invalidate or reduce an insurance claim and as they all have access to the MIB database they can easily check. But a windscreen claim should make little or no difference to a quote unless it's a regualr occurrence . (edited)
    when you apply it asks you what claims you have had, all insurance companies will have a drop down for windscreens, if not its still a claim and you should mention it. If not you could find yourself not insured and it actually states that in the t&cs. (edited)
    I’m sure I checked when I last had it done and it doesn’t count as a claim.
    Pretty sure asking your insurer is the best step.
    ccnp09/02/2021 11:11

Sorry to disagree but that's a common mistake. It IS a claim. Some …Sorry to disagree but that's a common mistake. It IS a claim. Some insurers care about it, some don't. Its like speed awareness courses; some insurers don't care about 1 instance (LV. I know because I use them and have attended a 2 courses. The 1st was ignored. The 2nd was a £7pa fee) others bang up the premium for all coursesThe over riding principle for any insurance is that failing to disclose material facts (ie ANY CLAIM) is likely to invalidate insurance. That's a small risk but if you have an accident and it comes to light, you will regret it for ever as your premiums will be hiked forever on that fact alone and you will be flagged as untrustworthyDECLARE IT and let them decide.

It certainly wasn’t with my insurer at the time
    I honestly didn’t know it was needed but thinking about it is a claim
    Once during renewal I said no, however on their system it came up as a claim. Told them I was never aware of this and they accepted on this occasion.
    I think it depends on each insurer.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants