Esim on pay as you go in UK iphone 14

Posted 26th Sep 2022
Hi guys

Does anyone know how i can get a esim on a pay as you go in the uk.
My father visits UK 3-4 times a year for like 3-4 weeks, normally I would purchase a 30 day giffgaff sim or 3 sim ( anything cheap really) then throw it out once he leaves.
But since the new iphone 14 release in the USA all the 14’s are esim only and no slot for a physical sim .
The ones released everywhere else in the world are still 1 physical sim slot and 1 esim .
I have ee esim in my phone currently, but thats a monthly contract.
I did a quick search and seems only 02 , Vodafone, ee and virgin are doing esims but only for monthly paying customers,
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Btw , i have seen a preloaded Vodafone esim on ebay 50gb , but thats £30
4000557-RJgak.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Airola.
    Author
    Thanks I appreciate that . Looks pretty good , cheapest plan they have is 3gb for $8 which is really good , I wonder what network they run on .

Also found another : https://www.getnomad.app
    Nomad esim
    I’ve used ubigi before while travelling, works fine for using WhatsApp to keep in touch with friends/family. 
    Better off just getting a cheap android he can use when he's here, IMHO
    I can help you with Vodafone I have been doing it for awhile
    Author
    Yes please I would appreciate it
    What can i do ?
    I've just been trying out Airola in the UK. Having obtained an iPhone 2020 SE which takes a standard SIM plus an eSIM, I needed to test it before travelling abroad. So my standard Lebara SIM is in as usual. I purchased 1GB for 1 week from Airola for $5 minus $1 using a discount code from HUKD. This gave me a QR code. Using the add a service function in the iPhones settings I scanned that code and it installed the eSIM. Had to fiddle a bit with the settings to get data and tethering working. Tip: Ensure that the eSIM service has roaming on (it isn't by default) and leave its network selection at automatic (APN settings blank). Have your standard SIM set to roaming off. Make a test phone call to ensure your usual number still works.

There are various iPhone settings to toggle each SIM or data on/off and it's not exactly intuitive for the non techy. You may need the assistance of an 11 year old. I think this set-up matter is what confuses some travellers who buy an eSIM on arriving in a new country and causes some of the complaints you hear about.

Did some tests and it seems my phone now automatically blends data from o2, Three and Vodafone (Lebara). I turned the Lebara data off to do some speed tests (phones wifi off obvs). Can manually set o2 or Three and either are downloading at around 40-50 Mbps which is same as native Three around here. On o2 streaming services think I'm outside the UK so iPlayer won't work. On Three iPlayer seems to work, however I wouldn't be confident.

I've realised that if I were travelling to a remote part of the UK this eSIM arrangement would be very good for ensuring nearly seamless data coverage.

One thing's for sure, eSIMs are the future and they'll somewhat upend the market one day.
's avatar
Top Merchants