Investing in alcoholic drinks (Whiskey, wine etc)

Posted 11th May 2023
I was watching an episode of Dickinsons Real Deal the other week and a 1945 bottle of champagne sold for £50? I was expecting it to sell for far more so my question is simply what is a good way of investing in things such as whiskey etc if there is such a way? I dont mean buying shares in companies who make them but actually buying the physical drink and holding onto it for years.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

15 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    windym
    Not whisky but we buy wine and keep it in bond with Berry Brothers. bbr.com/abo…ond

We first started 24 years ago when our son was born and have built him a considerable portfolio. He has taken over that bond and we add to it on birthdays etc. We buy a mix but mostly En Primeur and it has been a lot of fun making choices over the years. Some wine is worth a considerable amount more than when we purchased.
    1spoon1 Author
    This is interesting but does it not cost a fortune in storage fees per year? Thanks
    bozo007
    Unless you really, really understand the underlying product and how the industry works, stay away. There are far too many scammers and it is extremely difficult for a lay person to verify what they have purchased given the unregulated nature of the business. And everything old isn't necessarily gold. (edited)
    aLV426
    I still have an unopened bottle of Drambuie Cream Liqueur and quite an old collection of other unopened drinks. 50162155-rnxQm.jpg
    Rocknroiia
    How much for the vintage Smirnoff Ice?
    joyf4536
    I'd stick to Whisky rather than Whiskey as an investment if I HAD to choose between the two. (although I'd probably choose neither)
    themachman
    I've got a 14 year old bottle of Remy Martin VSOP. The one's just before they changed the recipe.
    Cost me £15. reckon that'll be worth a ton in a few years
    themachman
    Alcohol will be frowned upon in 40-50 years time just like cigarettes.
    Reckon a pack of 20 B&H from 1980 will be worth a fortune
    ComingInHot
    I have a friend in his late 40s who retired during the COVID lockdowns. He used to spend 2-3 thousand quid a month on expensive bottles of whisky while he was working and now slowly sells them with a good profit (he only sells a bottle if the price is at least 4x what he paid for it). He did invest a lot of time researching brands, going to festivals, reading online forums.
    FragileBoris
    Sliabh Liag Distillers, I know you mentioned not investing in companies but this is a "going places" family firm. I invested on crowdcube a while back. crowdcube.com/com…XEl

Altough they may not offer anothher round of funding (edited)
    lumsdot
    50215170-xCww2.jpg
    scousethief
    Not a serious 'collector/investor' , I collect various bottles for myself , if they're worth a few extra quid in a couple of years so much the better. At the best i had 6 bottles of Glen Fiddich that were gifted to me in 89 ( the day i turned 18) and 3 bottles of Jura Prophecy and 2 of Jura superstition (a long with various other spirits from the late 80's early 90's), they were all bought by the landlord of a local hotel who ran a Whisky club type thing for a LOT more than I thought they were worth.
    Now i just collect what i like but im looking into investing in barrels . As others have said you need to be careful because there are dodgy buggers out there.
    SaltyExpert
    Fancy buying a bottle of Macallan 1966 25 year old anniversary malt UK 1992, sealed with box?
    jsac
    I bought a bottle of Sinatra Century Jack Daniels - £350 6 years ago...currently valued at £1,300 - not a bad investment!
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants