Lawn mower for mid sized garden - is this any good

Posted 11th May 2023
First time having to deal with a garden, any advice is appreciated!
We bought the property back in October, garden hasn't been touched since. Grass has over grown! the garden itself is around 135ft long but I would say about 2/3rd is lawned.

I was looking at this combo, my budget is around £200 max:
4133735_1.jpg
Is this a decent option, for a overgrown lawn? I wouldn't mind a cordless electric one, but am worried that the cheaper ones will not be able to cope with the extra long grass.
Community Updates
New Comment

21 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    EndlessWaves
    40m long, but how wide?

Is this a tudor style plot with a very long and narrow garden and you're cutting barely a hundred square meters.

Or is it half as wide as it is long and you've got five times as much area?

I wouldn't worry about the initial length of the grass, you can always batter your way through somehow or other. Focus on normal use, whether there's sufficient battery capacity and so on, and how long replacement parts are likely to be available.
    Robildn Author
    Yes, I forgot to mention. Its not very wide, same width as my house plus a side gate. Maybe around 9 meters wide probably, its a 1980s semi.
    newbie68
    The model you posted from Screwfix - I own the batter one in that model - it's fantastic and I wasted money on an electric faff one before it. Buy smart once - battery or petrol. I couldn't be bothered with the fuelling and fumes so I went battery - don't regret it at all. The Titan battery didn't use more than 10% of it's battery on one cut (about 15 mins cutting)
    JimboParrot
    I've a Webb electric mower and it would tackle that. Set it on the highest or one of the higher levels and then lower it for the second cut. Do it after the grass has dried a bit!

Don't take the shrubs out, just get them pruned and trimmed. The conifer, well that is different, that can go.
    airbus330
    Electric mowers are a pain and you'll likely chop the cable at some point, so one of these is a good idea screwfix.com/p/m….ds

My garden is about the same size and a small petrol is a good alternative. I know a lot of people go on about engine reliability if you don't buy expensive, but I have an Einhell 40cm which was very cheap and is dead easy to start even after no use for 6 months. If you do go petrol make sure it is self propelled rather than push.
    fisco2001
    Would a Petrol one be any easier for you ?
    Robildn Author
    Not really considered one tbh, saw some places saying it was loud, then you have the fumes and having to get oil and additives etc. Also not sure my lawn is big enough to warrant all that power?
    And finally in terms of running costs would petrol cost more compared to an electric one?
    Mark_Hickman
    You sure its 135 foot ? Thats 22 fence panels, not many gardens are that long, how wide is it ? Mines 26 foot wide just slightly more than my house, if yours is also that wide thats quite a lot of grass, maybe 200 square metres at least with two thirds grass, id want a 46cm blade for a garden that big, going to take a while either way but the extra 11cm on the blade will definitely help (edited)
    Robildn Author
    Yea it's very long, but about roughly 2/3 is lawned. It's also just slightly wider then the house.
    50157429-hzaMz.jpg (edited)
    gari189
    Similar sized garden. Would not recommend electric unless you like faffing around with cables and extensions. Petrol would be better.

If you already have a collection of tool batteries eg Ryobi, Makita etc and don't mind the extra cost - battery is another option. I have replaced the petrol with battery as the deck of the petrol one was beginning to disintegrate and I already had the batteries.

You're probably also going to need a strimmer - take a look at Aldi and Lidl as they do a range of 20v/40v tools including garden tools.
    JimboParrot
    Can you post a photo of the state the grass is in? What you think might be different to what we think!
    Robildn Author
    The grass ranges from 20-40cm in height. I have also got to go round removing a lot of weed 😔
    50162294-2YImS.jpg50162294-r9WRS.jpgMy plan is to get a professional in to remove all the shrubs and bushes, remove the tree, then have that area all lawned.
    Has to wait for a bit though, the house renovation has burned through all our budget. (edited)
    Robildn Author
    So, I have decided to go down the petrol route.
    Am planning to learn to self service so hoping if I get a decent one it will last me a long time. Also with my garden being in a very wild state I think I will need the extra power. Have upped my budget to the £350~ mark as I am thinking it will get me something that will last, rather then buy cheap and then replacing it sooner etc.

Going to order from Amazon... my final decision to make is should I go for this: amazon.co.uk/dp/…h=1
    Or this: amazon.co.uk/Mur…1-2

Any advice from our experienced petrol lawnmower users is welcome, even better if you have had experience with either one of the above engines. Thanks.
    PaulandPam
    For the size of that lawn you'd be chucking money away buying one of the expensive mowers in your link.
    I'm 100% in agreement on buying a petrol if you only intend to cut it rarely but spend a lot less on one for such a small grassed area.
    If you intend to cut it regularly a battery mower would be sufficient after you have done the initial cut with a strimmer.
    JimboParrot
    I really don't think you need anything like that - the lawn is not big. You could get a local gardener/firm in (recommendation from a neighbour or one you see working nearby) to do the first cut for this year, and then take it from there.
    psychobitchfromhell
    That's nowhere near 135 feet long. That's a fairly small to average sized lawn. I'd go battery for ease if I were you
    Robildn Author
    Overall garden is 135 in total, lawn is probably about half maybe. Here is google map snip to get a better idea, on the picture cannot see the steps, lawn is on a lower level to the paved part.
    50189514-ntW3k.jpg

Its long but not that wide so maybe about 30m by 10m? Reason I opted for petrol was because its gone so over grown and the ground itself probably is not 100% flat.

But I might do what Jimbo suggested, get a gardener to sort it out first and then should be easier to maintain with a low power battery mower. (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants