Need a new PC

Posted 7th May 2023
I've just had 2 power cuts and it seems to have fried my hard drive 😬
So, I'm in the market for a new PC, I don't want anything like an expensive gaming PC. But I do want something that is OK.
I've had a quick look and am struggling to find much that isn't a fortune. Also what happened to having usb connections on the front? Loads I've seen don't seem to have anything, or are they hidden behind panels?
I'd also like to still have a dvd drive.
So, what I'd like to know is where is a good place to look, where do you all look for bargains?
Am I better to look at something like a named brand or just grab something unknown?
I guess I'm looking at spending no more that £700 if I can help it. Just need the tower, nothing else, oh I guess Windows too
Thanks all!
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    tardytortoise
    Should be able to find something decent here - even with DVD drive and USB ports at the front.
    recommerceit.co.uk/ref…pcs
    They even have 3.5 inch drives.
    I used them via ebay for a laptop and got a 5yr old Lenovo for a steal.
    Pájaro
    On the point of DVD drives, just buy a USB DVD drive. Internal drives might be slightly faster, but require bigger chunkier cases, and require that case to be on your desk if you're to have easy access to the drive.
    Jim1_Smith
    Are you sure that it's your hard drive? Just replace what needs replacing rather than buying a whole new pc.
    BillDoor Author
    Think so, I've pulled it out and tried it on a usb connection to a laptop and it's not recognised. Tbh the pc is 9 years old and probably in need of replacing anyway. Just annoyed about anything I might lose from it
    BillDoor Author
    I've managed to get an old laptop drive to work in it for now, had to use son's laptop to make a usb recovery file. Seems like things are working. Although my vpn, Nord, seems to keep stalling the connection now and I can't get it connected again without rebooting.
    Zek
    If you don't need a graphics card get a 5600g or something? They are quite cheap now and pretty capable. I also have a 5600x and rtx 3070 which it might be possible to get for £700 now, or get a 3060 otherwise.
    001Cisco
    What do you need it for?
    Would you consider second hand?
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants