Patio Cleaner - Cost Effective

Posted 8th Jun 2023
Can anyone recommend cost effect patio cleaner solution? I need quite a large volume.
Is there any difference between using bleach and the branded patio cleaners that are a lot more expensive?
Community Updates
New Comment

18 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Please, thank you etc
    There is a lot of difference between cleaning a patio and maintaining it clean. Never used bleach but I'm sure it will have some effect. You will need to scrub -so a lot of work involved in that route. Power washing is very effective at removing a lot (sometimes the grout or whatever you have down if in poorish condition).

I love patio magic for a few reasons, but primarily it's a spray and leave it - no scrubbing, brushing or rinsing. A very easy solution if that's important. It really does kill green mold and algae and appears to continue to keep it at bay, better than nothing at all. My steps/patio/paths come up as new when I use it (twice a year). By doing this it never gets anywhere near as bad as one left unmaintained. I'm sure bleach won't be as effective (although I'm sure with agitation it will improve it) with those types of patio issues.

It's a balance of work/effort and money - the choice is yours.
    Bear in mind also the type of stone your patio has. Some cleaners could ruin it. If you're not sure then a jet wash with plain water is safest.
    We always use a jet washer. It has always removed any staining & black & white organic growths just using water & no detergents at all. They come up brand new.

Once every two to three years is fine. Just get close up on the stubborn bits the first time you do it. . (edited)
    Amazon JOVS Sodium Hypochlorite 5 Litre Liquid Chlorine Garden & Patio 14-15%

For indian sandstone, sodium hypochlorite 3 parts water 1 part stuff in a sprayer cleared the stubborn dirt that a pressure washer couldn't shift. Ruined my trousers though. (edited)
    Sodium Hypochlorite is the active chemical within bleach, with water as the main ingredient. Might as well go to Lidl / Aldi and buy the cheapest thick bleach
    Wet & forget.
    Author
    Also looking for deals on clear paving sealer
    I used 2x jugs of Screwfix No Nonsense sealant on a new patio earlier this week. I've no prior experience of such things, but it seemed to go ok with a 12" roller and the kiln dried sand is now "glued" into the joints. There's 10% off at Screwfix for new app users at the moment. (edited)
    Author
    Thanks. There’s also another brand that I’ve seen called Patio Black Spot Remover, which also seems very good
    I'm trying to clean mine - have jet washed it and then tried thin bleach, the bleach did nothing at all on the black spots, so I need something a lot more hardcore for them
    Author
    I’m looking for something to apply before (or during) jet washing.

Are there any acid based cleaners that are effective?
    How badly does the patio need it? Might just be surface dirt that will come up with mix of thin bleach, dishwasher liquid, water, a stiff brush and elbow grease.

I’d avoid going medieval with the chemicals in the first instance.

As alternative to bleach, try soda crystals (cheap as chips) or Oxy clothes washing powder. (edited)
    I went medieval with chemicals on some very old and unpleasant monoblock. The specific stuff was from a very large container of sodium hydrochlorite which I mixed with water and just brushed onto the ground with an old brush till it was all foaming up a bit. The results were impressive and far less effort than power washing, though I did spend some time hosing it all down afterwards. The only thing it didn’t get off were those weird roundish white marks you tend to see but the effect on dirt removal was definitely impressive. (edited)
    Author
    That’s what I was thinking. It seems like brands are charging for their name but surely the raw chemicals are super cheap to buy?
    2 years ago I power washed my part of the alley. Now I just keep it clean with a bimonthly mist of 20:1 mix of water & Lidl thick bleach that I spray from a 5 litre pump sprayer.
    50337833-pLoip.jpg (edited)
    Washing machine powder, scrubbing brush, kneeling matter, rubber gloves and a watering can.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants