Should I buy Offical USA Charger ( USB C ) 25w or Travel Adapter & Were ?

Posted 7th May 2023
Travelling to USA later in year for a few weeks, My Wife and I use Samsung / Nintendo Switch which are USB C and looking at charging our devices and retaining a decent charge speed. Has anyone bought a USA charge Official from somewhere in the UK they can recommend and or what travel adapters can people recommend that retain the W's.
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Prosamuraiman
    I travel to the States all the time and you don't need any additional chargers to get a good charge. Just use your existing UK ones with any travel adapter you can pick up for a couple of pounds. Better yet, if you're travelling with a laptop, just use that for your devices.
    bozo007
    Just buy the plug adapter. All chargers these days are multi voltage anyway. I travel there a few times every year and this works well for me.
    MicroManaged
    It isn't like a hairdryer.

The chargers are transformers which transform the AC to 5v DC. The AC input in this instance is irrelevant as the rate input voltage is 100-240v. The output will always be the same.
    aLV426
    Wrong - go look up capacitive dropper - that type of PSU doesn't use a transformer. Not just voltages are different but mains frequency too. US use 60Hz, UK use 50Hz.
    Check the input rating on your existing charger - most modern PSUs have automatic universal input, there are a few though that don't. If you have an automatic universal input type then all you need is a travel plug - should be about £2.
    Also worth noting some PSUs have a removeable plug part, I have quite a few PSUs that are US 2 pin type, these fold flush to the body and you can slide on a UK plug, very handy. Apple PSUs used to do something similar...
    Mendoza
    I just used the adapter plugs, but then I wasn’t trying to charge fast, sorry
    Wadda
    How often do you plan to travel to USA? Unless it’s often don’t bother!

if it’s often buy a usb charger that is universal and fits euro and uk plugs too.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants