Still Digital Camera cheapish cost?

Posted 4th Jun 2023
After little still camera to photo the wildlife in garden.. Any advice on little stills camera (doesn't need much zoom as small garden). This phones camera poor and not wanting to go new phone just for better picture quality. Surely little single feature camera?
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you are not adverse to buying used there are a stack load of cameras on Ebay.

You have the Canon Ixus that are pocket cameras & some 10 year old models are great.

Next size up you have the panasonic Lx versions 1 to 5 that are slightly heavier & bigger. If you can get an LX3 or LX5 that are cheap but are really the cream of the time. Even pros used those.

Then you have bridge cameras which are a toss up between pocket sized & large. Then you stick with a Sony or Panasonic or Cannon that give great results & also the same brands that make mirrorless cameras which you can change the lenses. We are talking above what you want here.

Then you have high end DSLRs which start cheap @ £250 but really aren't that great until you get to Sony's at £500 plus.

If I was talking pics in the garden I would go for a Panasonic LX3 or LX5. Great photos, a bit of a zoom but a really great Leica lens. Leica are world famous for cameras & they make their own but the LX3 & LX5 are just cheaper because Panasonic brought them to mass market.

You could also go for a new Panasonic TZ camera for all the new fads, like global positioning & wifi etc.

But an LX3 or LX5 is a really good camera that really is cheap second hand. You won't regret it. (edited)
    Author
    Great info.. thankyou
    CEX do a lot of cheap digital cameras. It really depends on how good a camera you need. Phones tend to have very small sensors and use computational photography to remove grain and some other issues. I still much prefer using a digital camera to a phone and generally find the results much better on a digital camera.

I carry a small fuji camera about for taking pictures. It cost me £10 and I'm very happy with the results plus its so small I can carry it about in my backpack and not even think about the weight of it. It's a 14MP sensor and up to 5x optical I think. A Fuji Z90. It's capable of a 4K image (cropped down from 14MP 4:3) which is really all I need. Sometimes I spend time composing a image and choosing settings carefully and other times its just point and shoot.

50314123-dBzJM.jpg

50314123-Ooy7M.jpg50314123-Bd6sn.jpg (edited)
    No offence @HappyShopper but both the LX3 & LX5 put both of them to shame.

The only positive is the extra zoom.
    What sort of wildlife are we talking, and what sort of shots are you looking to accomplish? Show some example shots (Google Image search is a good resource), and we can see what gear can suit your desires.
    Author
    Garden Birds, Robins, Bluetit etc
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants