Varifocal Glasses

Posted 11th May 2023
I purchased some varifocal glasses a few months ago from Asda Opticians.

However, I seem to be struggling with reading when using my desktop PC - the issue, I think, is the reading portion of the lens seems limited and finding and maintaining that sweet spot is proving difficult.

I'm trying to determine if there is actually an issue and, if so, if it's with the glasses or with me in terms of how I am using them and my expectations.

I'm a first time varifocal wearer and 'seem' to have taken to them bar this aspect so much so, that I have defaulted to wearing my old reading glasses when using the PC which somewhat defeats the purpose of having varifocals made up.

For information, I tend to sit at arms length from the PC screen.

Would appreciate any feedback from other varifocal wearers or anyone who has bought varifocals from Asda.

TIA.
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    IAmATeaf
    What model/grade of varifocals did you get? The sweet spot for intermediate and reading is larger the higher up in the range you go.

Last time is used Asda opticians was when I used to live in Edinburgh, they glazed my glasses with different anti-reflection coatings so one lens was pink and and the other brown and for love not money they couldn’t see or accept what they done. In the end I grabbed a random shopper and asked if she could tell me what colour the lens looked when tilted under the light, that experience put me off from using them again.

Been using varifocals for quite a few years now, mine are the top range from Specsavers and I have to admit I’ve not had any issue when using them with a monitor but my monitors are only 24” so if using bigger then maybe you will encounter issues.
    SaturdayGigs
    [deleted]
    HappyShopper Author
    50157821-cTUdD.jpg
    CatsWithThumbs
    I am in the same boat with mine. The "sweet spot" for middle distance (PC screen) is tiny and even with a small 14" laptop on my lap I can't look from one side of the screen to the other without turning my head and it drives me nuts. The optician (Well, the assistant on the desk) tells me this is normal. I am not impressed at all, but getting a bit more used to it I guess.

Edit: Just to add, mine were from Vision Express (edited)
    Adster
    I've had varifocals for a couple of years now, they are fine for distance and fine for checking my phone, but the sweet spot for my monitor is as you said, tiny. It probably doesnt help that I've got a design with pretty small lenses.

I just take them off when I'm using my work/home PC and wear them for everything else. I also got a pair of reading glasses with the correct prescription so I can read books without having to move my head around to see different parts of the page
    paulj48
    I have a pair of glasses for reading but these are too strong for PC work so I got a pair of 'occupational' lenses from Specsavers, they are still varifocal the the distance is set at the correct distance for the screen.
    bozo007
    I have been using similar glasses for the last few years. I was told they are called "occupational" glasses - the top half is good for the monitor / computer whereas the bottom half is for regular reading. I also discovered that the moment you add distance to this combination, the sweet spot shrinks massively. Fortunately for me, distance for me is a very minor thing and I don't drive, so I got it removed.
    chrb
    I bought the highest spec varifocals £159;for lenses from specsavers, and it took them several times to get them right, but now they are fine with my monitor
    tardytortoise
    I have Low Vision.
    I am over 65.
    I have always had poor vision in one eye to the point if the remaining sight in the other "good" eye were to go completely I would be practically blind. My "good" eye did suffer from a retinal detachment and now my vision is not of sufficient use to allow me to drive a car. BUT I still wear varifocals
    I have worn specs since 14. I have worn varifocals since my reading sight diminished which would have been around 50 yrs of age.
    I have worked in IT for 40 years.
    Took a few days/vweeks when I switched to varifocals to fully adjust.
    Everyone is different. Some people find a pair of specs purely for screen work to be an option - others don't. I have found the larger the lens/frame the better as it allows the graduation from the bottom of the lens to the top means the sweet spot is much bigger.

Watching TV sometimes means I wear what are known as TV specs - well worth the money. probably can buy cheaper than here visionenhancers.com/pro…les

For anyone using IT with any vision issues, I highly recommend people learn simple skills like CTRL+ to increase the size of text on the screen; if using Windows find out in the settings how to permanently increase text size; and for any web browser install Zoom Page WE extension which permits websites and individual pages to have text/graphics/photos set individually and that survive a logout/switch off.

Loads of practical tips here for people with poor vision who use technology.
    mcmw.abilitynet.org.uk/?Ca…ion (edited)
    adamderak
    I'm in the exact same position. I'm going to get another set just for reading.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants