What's the best place to find decent performing CHEAP smartphones? (To support a charity assisting those facing hardship)

Posted 8th Jun 2023
I run a project in London assisting those facing acute hardship. One of the most important things that we endeavour to provide are smartphones (reliant on community donations to this point). We are now a registered charity, and are considering buying phones to help us assist those who sometimes walk across London with paper maps to try and source a phone from us.

We are considering making a dedicated donation campaign (and also seek grant funding) to buy these phones. Having previously had 30x Alcatel phones donated to us, we really don't want to go for those again! Hoping to find something around the £50 mark (new or refurbished) that has a decent screen size, a relatively modern version of Android or iOS (doesn't have to be current) - with decent performance, WhatsApp and access to emails/solid browsing experience to access government services/avoid Universal Credit sanctions being the most important things.

Does anyone have suggestions? We'd rather buy from the UK or Europe (have previously used TechInn for SSD purchases as they have no Brexit related costs!).

Thank you

(We are ready to spend around £1,000 immediately - which will help us to continue providing this important service...with ambitions to do more)
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Have a look at Goodcall
    Some Pixel 2/2 XLs £65 each on eBay. Runs Android 11, should be capable of the basics. Business seller with advertised 12 month warranty for what it's worth.

ebay.co.uk/itm…561?

ebay.co.uk/itm…168?
    A friend has bought loads of these and sent them back home to his family in Tanzania, haven’t been any complaints amazon.co.uk/Bla…-18
    Author
    I got a Blackview years ago from China on one of those AliExpress flash sales. It was actually a surprisingly good phone...so I'll add that to our list of phones to watch. I didn't realise that they were being sold in the UK now

(I used to be on this website all the time - but am totally out of the loop now, pretty much since the beginning of the pandemic. Always found HUKD to be very helpful and knowledgable - and pleased to see that this is still the case judging by the responses!)
    Get on to Argos/Carphone/Currys PR & ask them if you can buy their returns of the cheapest/well performing mobiles.
    Author
    We have got a connection with Currys already (we buy their kettles/toasters and irons essentials packs in bulk - normally 100x units every couple of months). We had previously asked them about phones when setting up that agreement, but will try again. Our experience so far though, especially with businesses/universities, is that it tends to be who you know!

Good suggestion though
    The first thing you need to do is stop using subjective words like decent and cheap. The next thing you need to do is to stop revealing your "hand" in terms of what you are prepared to pay. Sure, you will have a budget but it is important from a negotiating point of view to keep this to yourself.

Next, set out your requirements trying your best not to straight jacket yourself with solutions. At the same time do not assume that a smartphone is the answer - that is a solution that may satisfy the requirement but it may not and there may be other solutions.
    So try to be very objective, setting down some criteria. I'm a little lost about the reference to reading maps. What exactly is wrong with that? And is it that which you are trying to replace?

A well publicised paper that includes the requirements and criteria spread across local media and social media and also direct to suppliers/manufacturers hopefully will see some beating a path at your door. Don't be afraid to pitch at the national network level also - the EE, Virgin, Vodafones, O2s etc.

There is a charity where I live that gives refurbished laptops and phones to people in need. People donate their old laptops/phones to them and they do the refurb. They have given thousands away. Why not copy that model? see their website wiltshiredigitaldrive.org/
    Good luck. (edited)
    Author
    By paper maps, I mean hand drawn maps given by others in extreme hardship who have had our support (walking 3-4 hours across London to reach us).

We have already shared thousands of laptops, smartphones, tablets, desktops (overhauled and upgraded here where possible with SSD's etc) - alongside clothing, footwear, bedding, essential electricals, kitchenware, prams, bikes, white goods, toys & games and plenty of other things besides. But with people travelling from as far as Manchester (and with the referrals we make to other charities often coming to nought), we really want to start fixing the supply shortage as we can't rely solely on smartphone donations for this service.

I was mentioning the budget here as anything significantly above the £50 or so threshold will be out of reach for us at the kind of scale we need. Whilst I don't often have time to visit HUKD, I do sometimes see deals like the Oppo A13 from GiffGaff at £49 each...so wondered if anyone had some tips and tricks about other places that offer similar things (whether email alerts or something)

(We are sadly having to support an increasing number of people who have been sanctioned by Universal Credit due to their inability to respond to journal messages in a timely manner. Those visiting us invariably rely on using other people's phones to access such things, or in most instances, on the local library. Smartphones are the most enabling solution for such people - and also opens up other avenues of support/searching for work etc)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants