Advice please - Faulty CDA fridge

Posted 4th May 2023
Have a fitted kitchen with fridge made by CDA

it has a 2 year parts and labour warranty, then 3 year parts

It is 3 years old and is faulty

Paid CDA the £135 engineer repair charge

CDA say that they can not get parts to fix, but can offer a brand new replacement with the equivalent new model for a "discount price" of £330

Feel a bit upset that because they can not get parts, I now have to pay

has anyone else had this problem and how did they deal with it?
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    AndyRoyd
    As @adam.mt suggests:
    straightforward concept of CRA claim to the trader that sold you the prematurely-failed busted rubbish.

CRA example claim template below. Complete & send to trader.
    If the kitchen was purchased via regulated credit, send same claim to the credit provider.
    which.co.uk/con…lgZ

The trader/creditprovider may offer a pro-rata refund, although it may be in your interest to push for a non-manufacturer repair via 3rd party that may have obsolete component stock / alternative components stock available.
    If sold as part of a package (entire fitted kitchen) it may be difficult to assess the precise original cost/value of the fridge including warranty (unless itemised?), so may be worthwhile to pre-research historical prices / values.
    Helpful567 Author
    Purchased a fitted kitchen and this was part of the package

The company that supplied the kitchen has gone bust, so will have to deal with CDA direct
    hubcms
    Google the average lifespan of a fridge and it's 10 years plus.
    I think I'd be asking what part needs replacing that they so conveniently cannot obtain. It sounds a little suspicious to me.
    At the very least I'd expect to not pay £135. Also you could argue for a partial refund on the initial purchase, as the warranty on parts was a contributing factor for purchasing the CDA over another brand.
    Personally I think they probably can get the part, but the labour time doesn't warrant the repair so they don't bother stocking the part.
    On a side note I fit kitchens and I've only ever had one faulty built-in fridge freezer and it was CDA. The engineer blamed me saying the appliance was recessed into the housing too much by a couple of mm thus not shutting the door enough, and left the job. I then removed the cover doors and the fridge still didn't work. In the end they agreed it was a faulty appliance. So good luck.
    adam.mt
    Good advice, although some of what you've written applies to the retailer and not CDA. It's the retailer who bears responsibility; a warranty with the manufacturer is offered independently to statutory rights and subject to their terms.

OP - have you read the terms of the CDA warranty? I would suggest contacting whoever you purchased the fridge from - look up the Consumer Rights Act.
Discussions
Top Merchants