Any mountain bike experts

Posted 5th Jun 2023
I wonder if anyone can help me, my son has come off his bike today and thankfully only has minor injuries which is the important thing however the bike isn't looking too good

It looks absolutely knackered to me a lay person.

The back wheel has come off
4145970-68WgG.jpg
4145970-ps1A9.jpg4145970-krsCy.jpg4145970-gOXmR.jpg4145970-ck1uF.jpg4145970-L5NP3.jpg

4145970-rzyoN.jpg

Plus the front wheel is wonky
4145970-DnEDz.jpg
Has anyone any idea if it's repairable and how much the parts and repairs might cost. I have a Halfords care package but I doubt that covers anything like this.
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The quick release axle has come out the frame , if you turn the bike upside down ie resting on the saddle/seat and slot the wheel back into place

50318522_1.jpg (edited)
    This YouTube will give you a better idea of how QR works

try undo the front wheel then put it back in, see if it is actually the wheel thats bent.
    if it is but still turns through the forks,its easy enough for halfords or a bike shop to straighten it.
    Or watch some videos and try it yourself
    The QR at the back looks like a simple issue but the front wheel looks very off centre. What I can't work out though is whether the forks are bent or the wheel has buckled.

When you spin the front wheel when it's off the ground does it sway side to side or does it stay evenly off centre?
    Author
    I think it's evenly off centre
    Looks like rear quick release has come undone , remove it & offer the axle into the frame rear chainstay forks keeping the chain round the rear cassette cogs to the gears on the right, it should drop in easily once aligned just make sure the brake disc lines up with the brake caliper on the left side , as for the front it looks like the axle is not seated evenly especially if the disc isn't in the brake caliper although a better photo may confirm the axle may also have lost its cone & lock nut on the left side allowing the wheel to move over & maybe loose the 1/4" bearings in the hub itself. These are cheap to replace if its a shimano type any contempt mechanic should be able to re adjust the axle & replace the bearings in fresh grease asuming there's no damage to the hub itself
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants