Bike seat cover repair

Posted 4th Jun 2023
Is it possible to repair the crack in my bike seat?

Anyone done such a repair before and can advise?

4145359-L53Z7.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

19 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    DaveG46
    How much would a new one cost you?
    mutley1 Author
    new seats aren't expensive but this one is particularly comfortable so i would prefer to keep it if i can do the repair easily.

to get a new seat, i would have to spend time going to see the seat and feel how comfortable it is, so if i can stick to my old seat, that will save time.
    melted
    Lol, I really miss my old leather saddle I acquired off my dad's 1950's raleigh bicycle (probably wasn't original as he swapped bits) , used it for years on three bicycles until the leather tore around the neck No foam or springs, but was the most comfortable saddle I've ever used by far, although was out of fashion when I had it and a few people took one look at it on my bike and told me how uncomfortable it was, despite never having sat on it.

Duct tape maybe

You can buy vinyl weld glue, but that looks thin, its split all over the place and would never last even if you somehow managed to glue it, and the solvent would attack the foam underneath.

I think the only effective way is to recover it, and you'd need vinyl that is stretchy in both directions to fit the curved shape.

Best find a replacement! (edited)
    Mr.Plow
    Yeah I duct taped my worthless work bikes seat, and it was crap, I think you'll have to bite the bullet and get yourself to Halfords
    Mr.Plow
    I think you'll struggle to make a successful repair, I'd imagine the best bet would be to try and stick a patch over the cracked section, I've looked on eBay and there's dinghy repair kits available which I think would do the job.
    001Cisco
    Search for "faux leather repair kit" on amazon

But personally would just get a cover, too much of hard work for repairing...
    Diegobound
    Salad, not pies...
    hk2054
    This may help? The video shows how to replace the whole piece of leather.
    JimboParrot
    Could you make a cover?
    mutley1 Author
    i saw a video on how to replace the seat with a new leather cover. that looks very complicated so i don't think it is something that i would want to do. i was hoping for a quick repair solution but it looks like time to keep an eye out for a new seat or to ride with the seat looking like that.
    Willy_Wonka
    Plastic seats are very cheap.

I suggest you have a look at the make & model of your bike on the internet & look for parts.

I would have thought there are loads on ebay for example.

Don't think repairing plastic on the most abused part of a bike is very wise. It will just get brittle & split again with hours of use.
    Myusernamehasgone234
    Just pop a cover on in.

These are reasonable from Amazon two for £6.99

amazon.co.uk/Nor…spa

50311361-sme7k.jpg
    Or if your after something a bit more fancy pop over to Etsy

50311361-cqyRa.jpg
    mutley1 Author
    yeah, i did look at covers and there are water proof covers. doesn't look great on the seat but may have to do that if i don't get a new seat.
    iWish
    Use black duct tape.
    EndlessWaves
    What's it made of? It doesn't look like it's holding any impression so I'm leaning towards PVC rather than leather.

If that's the case then are the cracks just the PVC starting to peel or is the underlying cloth torn as well?
    mutley1 Author
    I think it is pvc. It is just the surface disintegrating.
    EndlessWaves
    If it's just the surface coating coming off and the cloth is fine then I'd be tempted to scrape off all the loose stuff and try fabric paint to fill the holes.

It won't match the embossed leather texture but with a reasonable colour and shininess match I doubt anyone will notice, even assuming the saddle hasn't worn smooth in other places anyway.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants