Cleaning up Paint dust

Posted 19th May 2023
I was tidying up after a paint job yesterday when my decorators left, it wasn't enormous clouds but I did vacuum and disturb the fine sandpapered down paint.

Issue is I felt incredibly tired and lethargic afterward, perhaps I'm now overthinking but apart from being run down with managing builders and the disarray that goes with it, am I ok to breath in tiny amounts of this stuff?

Done now anyways!
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    slimy31
    As you say it could be just a release of the stress and anxiety of having decorators in and having to manage them. I've had it recently with the house renovations, even though I do very little for the work and not had to clean up too much, I can still feel my anxiety level rising while there are basically strangers wandering around my home. Once they're done I am positively exhausted and often sleep in the following morning.

I'm not as tired when we do our own painting and decorating, even though I should be physically tired it doesn't affect me as much. (edited)
    mutley1
    cleaning after the decorating shouldn't be unsafe. when there is a lot of dust, it is best to wear a mask. if the dust affects your health, it wouldn't be feeling tired, you would literally be coughing and wheezing and can't breathe as the dust would affect your lungs.

i used to climb up to the loft and do a little bot of work up there without a mask and i found that after about 15 minutes, it was very difficult to breathe, so nowadays, i always wear a mask when i go up there.
    bozo007
    Something to ask a doctor, maybe? In general, I always wear a mask before undertaking any cleaning.
    crevitz215
    One off event like that, probably not linked to the dust (layman's opinion on the matter... certainly not medical advice).

But as others has said, if you're cleaning up again - wear a mask. Long term, or persistent exposure to fine dust particles is not good.

Also be mindful, that you could be better served by sweeping, instead of hoovering - as you have experienced, hoovers aren't expecting fine dust, so there isn't a filter on the exit vent.
    MicroManaged
    Every vacuum I have ever owned (never owned a Hoover) has had multiple filters and always one on the exit vent, usually sponge or microfibre so are washable.

Paint dust may be too small for some vacuum filters but unlikely for any made in the past few years.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants