Gas consumption - smart meter

Posted 19th May 2023
Hi. We had a smart meter installed by EDF a fortnight ago but the gas consumption information only started working yesterday. It is showing we are using about £20 a day despite not having any heating on or hardly using the hob (oven and most things are electric).

Surely the amount cannot be correct. Has anyone else any experience of how much is usually shown for a day? Could the meter be faulty, the rate be stupidly high or any other possible reason for this. Any assistance
4137888-tFHyV.jpg would be appreciated. Thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

28 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Kb64
    And this is one of the reasons why I really don't want a smart meter
    jacko20jj
    A smart meter won’t change the price you pay . It just tells you how much you will pay. You won’t pay more or less because of it. Simply helps you know how much you have spent. Which is good as you can try and limit your usage if needed.
    Willy_Wonka
    Check the unit measurement & price per unit is correct on the display.
    keeganland
    Is it possible they've somehow mixed it up when installing - as in gas is showing electric and vice-versa? That electric usage is very, very low if its for nearly a days usage. What was your last monthly gas bill - if it was around the £80 mark, that would be the approx monthly usage shown for the electric.
    xenophon
    If that electric usage is very, very low mine must be very, very, very low at £1.50.
    newbie68
    What is your current unit rate on whatever deal your on?
    firswood Author
    Hi. The gas unit rate showing on my last bill is 10.465p
    sm9690
    Not sure if you can do this with EDF but on Octopus you can log in to your account and see all your smart meter data, eg. each half hour usage in kWh.

You'll then be able to see from that if there's an issue with the readings or it's just the in home display. (edited)
    firswood Author
    Just checked and there seems to be a facility that shows daily usage .... shows £8.08 electric and £2.59 gas used on the 17th May ..... very different to what the meter is showing me.
    firswood Author
    I have sent EDF a message asking them for an explanation ..... it;s scary
    keeganland
    Fingers crossed its an easy fix.
    Savysaver21
    It could be your IHD showing incorrect usage. Have you asked edf for an up to date bill to cross reference ?
    bozo007
    If you were regularly submitting meter readings earlier, you will have an idea if your unit consumption is accurate or not. Ignore the £ amount but check the actual consumption.
    Attic45
    Does the gas boiler heat your hot water too?

If so, is it set to eco where it heats water when required, ie when you turn the tap on there is a delay for hot water coming through.

Or is it set to a number where it constantly heats water so you have it immediately available when tap is turned on? (edited)
    firswood Author
    JUst checked and set on eco.
    beergut
    Maybe that's a fortnight's usage - since it was installed?
    firswood Author
    I hope so ... but somehow I doubt it (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants