How to find cheapest dates for train travel

Posted 8th Jun 2023
hi, there's a load of websites for finding cheapest tickets including split ticketing for a given day but if you have a lot of flexibility in your travel plan, say over summer, and don't mind when you travel out -how can you find the cheapest day and time to travel?

seems simple enough for something as complex as flights to find cheapest day in month. Nothing similar I've found for trains.

For reference, it would be from Manchester to Newport South Wales.
Also which site charges 0 or lowest fees when booking?
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I find that booking at least one month in advance achieves better pricing.
    Then consider a Travel Card, and if you really have to leave your station in peak time, split it at a station that falls just outside of it.
    Thetrainline is very good for getting times and prices, but do not book with them as they charge a commission.
    Also look at booking the same train but through a different operator, as they might be cheaper, and also offer a benefit such as Nectar
    Author
    Seems to be a monopoly on some routes so no choice in train operator.
    We have family & friends travel card
    Author
    thanks did have a look at that but it seems the function I'm looking for just doesn't exist
    Tuesdays and Wednesdays, travelling off-peak times say 12.30 pm
    Author
    thanks, that's general guidance. Was hoping there would be a fare calendar of some sort.
    I use railsmartr.co.uk/ quite a bit, but use crosscountrytrains.co.uk/ to purchase the tickets, as they don't charge an admin fee if you change your fare. RailSmartr in theory don't either, but I've never bought from them. I just shamelessly use their fare search engine! (edited)
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants