Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

How to fix a boiler with low pressure?

35 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I’m no plumber or gas engineer but aren’t those two yellow and blue plastic parts what you are looking for?Turn one, then the other and you should hear the system filling up and re-pressurising. Then, when pressure gauge hits around 1.2 bar turn them both back off. Have somebody else at the highest radiator in the property open the radiators air release nut and close it when water squirts out whilst pressurising. (edited)
    No they don't connect to the return heating pipe which is where it would fill up according to the manual. I think the blue valve is for the cold water inlet for heating hot water and maybe the yellow is gas?
    The manual should tell you how to re pressurise the system but often they are seized. Another option which I have done in the past (due to a seized value) is to fill up the system via a radiaror drain off.
    Eg. Connect a hose pipe up to drain off with a jubilee clamp and refill that way. Bit of a bodge way but works.
    Author
    Thanks mate. I will give that a try.
    Filing loop is not in any of the pictures you have posted. Look further down the pipework below where they come up from the wooden shelf
    Have you checked under the kitchen sink there may have fitted a hatch for the filling loop there ?
    I can’t see it on yours, but mine has a little plastic tap on one of the pipes, you twist it, and may hear a hiss, keep your eye on the gauge, and when it gets to where you want it to be, turn the tap back off ..

careful how much you turn it on, because that will determine how fast the gauge moves
    Author
    I can turn the yellow tap, which seems to be the gas. The blue one is fixed (or maybe it is stuck). I tried really hard and couldn't turn the blue one.
    There must be a user guide online?
    Author
    Yes, I found this online:
    biasi.co.uk/ass…pdf
    There is a page about the filling procedure. Sadly I could't find that loop.
    50310921-mD4K3.jpg
    youtu.be/SHu…7H4 not sure if this applies to the boiler at your parents place.
    Probably also worth asking how long the pressure has been low, and if it suddenly dropped, and how long since the system was serviced and/or purged.

Also the corrosion around the blue tap valve isn't a good sign, and might need investigating.
    Author
    The pressure should has been at the current value (0.2) for at least 1 month (maybe even longer since we didn't pay much attention).
    Even if you manage to fill it up. It seems an older boiler and is probably worth getting a service on, especially if it has been a few years. Just for piece of mind.

Plus I'm betting the filling loop is behind the fixed wooded shelves below. (edited)
    Author
    Yes, you are right. The boiler should be over 15 years old.
    It is the blue bit that adds pressure.

Give it a turn for a couple of seconds. If the pressure rises then the question is answered. If not switch the whole thing of & get a pro in.
    Blue knob is to turn of cold water entering the boiler. Used to service or repair the boiler or if you wanted to isolate got water around the house.
    The flexible metal braided hose hanging down with no connection is your filling loop.

It is broken and i suspect has broken off from the corroded blue bit.

You need an engineer.
    You could be right but its hard to tell. Can the op take a better photo of where that dangling hose is actually coming from?
    Yes it looks like a condensing combination boiler from the manual

But apart from the 5 pipes going directly to the boiler and the plastic corrugated condensate pipe coming out .....you have 3 extra pipes going up or down. (Marked with a red X)

So the filling loop (whereever that is) will take water in the direction of the green arrow ...as per the manual

So from what we can see 1 of 3 places.... above the boiler / behind the decorative shelf base unit / or under the sink further up the run of units (you can see dishes on the draining board?)

If the condensate pipe goes under sink the copper pipes may extend that way as well??
    The filling loop will be on the cold pipe so track that back.
    Also look under sink or airing cupboard as not always near the boiler.

Any problems locating then get plumber to call and maybe a good time to get a service done.

Also get plumber to talk you try through boiler operation ect if your unsure.
    The amount of people confidently giving OP completely incorrect answers is insane….

We’ve got 2 idiots telling OP to mess with his GAS isolation valve, one guy telling him his PRV discharge pipe is his filling loop and it’s just broken off… seriously guys just keep your mouth shut when you don’t have a clue about these things.

OP- Check under the sink, I’ve seen plenty of filling loops hidden under the sink.
    Also check the airing cupboard if there’s one, installer could’ve been lazy and left it full of old pipework with the filling loop in there.
    Also the cupboard below the boiler, there may be a little cut behind there out that’ll expose the filling loop. (edited)
    You probably need to read other peoples posts before slagging them off.....see my post right above yours that lists the sink/and the cupboard below the boiler....
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants