New system boiler cost

Posted 6th Jun 2023
My builder will be installing a new system boiler via boiler guy but the quote i have received seems to be very high according to what i had estimated but as this is the first time I've done anything want to get advice whether they are charging too much.

I have been quoted £5500, this will include boiler, water tank and underfloor heating, along with all the necessary pipe work and fittings to replace existing boiler..

The boiler is Vailliant eco Tech Plus 637
The water Cyclinder is Megaflo 250i
The above comes to around £3000.

My concern is around the fittings and pipes etc which he seems to be also charging for.

If for instance i went with another installer, would they charge for pipes and fitting or would this be covered under their installation price? (Does £5500 sound excessive)?
Community Updates
New Comment

23 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Are you not going for a combi boiler?
    Not everyone can have nor wants a combi.

I have a standard Pressurised system with tank as we have 3showers and 2 baths. Also allows the benefit of having an immersion which I can run for free from solar. Also have 15 rads upstairs and underfloor heating downstairs requiring extra pumps so standard makes sense. If you have shower pumps you either need these removing combi or just stick with standard.

When it needs replacing I'll have another standard boiler (recently got a quote for ASHP and it was £18k lol) unless ASHP comes down substantially or I can get someone else to quote who isn't a blatant rip off.
    Had our Valliant Ecotech boiler put in in 2014 for a mere £2k! Getting it was definitely one of my better life decisions. Had it serviced every year for of the first seven years to preserve the warranty. Now get it done every three & it just keeps doing what it does, efficiently & quietly.
    Out of the £5500 quoted, of which £3000 is for the boiler and cylinder, this leaves £2500 for labour and pipework etc.

You state: "My concern is around the fittings and pipes etc which he seems to be also charging for".

Does that mean you expect these items and his labour to be free?
    Author
    Does that mean you expect these items and his labour to be free?
    No i'm not expecting it to free, i understand there would be costs on top but wondering whether £2500 for part seems fair. I'm having building works done and installation is absorbed into the building cost. (edited)
    I used boxt and they have brilliant customer service and support. They can add extras in after the order for free if you ask and give you a priority date after you got a discount for the unpopular date. Again free never increase my bill once after several changes. Then a small cock up meant the part wasn't delivered on time so the installation took 2 days and I asked for compensation for extra day off work and got 300. I've read that at the moment they will do anything to make the customer happy as they build their business.
    Seems reasonable. Have you had other quotes?
    Author
    Not yet as most of the cost would be absorbed as part of the building cost.

E.g Boiler and kitchen installation is part of building cost.

However my argument is if I've already paid the labour cost, parts alone make up £2500 which i think is unreasonable.
    I paid £1800 to have my boiler replaced and relocated. So this seems expensive to me. I'm in the Yorkshire area
    Without knowing the breakdown between fittings / piping and Labour cost it is difficult to judge. However knowing the increase in base metal costs (which is a large chunk of your fittings costs) it doesn’t seem ridiculously high. With the average plumbers rate being around £40/hr it doesn’t take long for costs to mount up. (edited)
    £40 an hour - where do you live?
    What controls are they fitting? That can be a substantial amount. Weather compensation?

Is it an absolutely huge house? 37kW is massive and almost certainly vastly oversized. Not had a proper heat survey done?
    Why all the pipework? Did the property not have CH before?
    Also Megaflo is just a brand. Lots of others available for half the price if you are in a budget. Stick with Vaillant for the boiler as they worth the money imo.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants